Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: The Violators Trophy Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Violators Trophy Wraith

When the Wraith came out I decided I needed one. After I built one I found out a few things. When they are fast the handle like shit. And they really do not crawl all that well. I built mine and it broke so often I put it on the shelf. What I really wanted was something that would take the beating a slash does, yet had the look of a wraith. And so this is where I am. The Trophy Wraith.

I started out with a slash 4x4 front end. Added RPM arms and Tekno cvd's. I mounted the bulkhead on a Magnesium lower plate designed for the slash lcg kits. I mounted the completed front end to an old chassis plate I had from my Losi 8ight T truggy when I converted it to brushless. Add in a Summit transmission and a Novak 5.5t 550 motor and we are getting closer. It is not fancy, but it should hold up. I used RC4WD lower links and some old carbon fiber links I had laying around. A wraith rear axle with steel locker and steel gears. I used the tmaxx driveshafts front and rear.

The only issue is the slash steering, or lack of. I need to pick up an aluminum steering system, but I changed the way the steering work, and the aluminum kits cannot be changed. So this will have figure something else out. Enough words, on to the pics.

To run the RC4WD wheels I needed to widen them. I noticed the hole looked awful like the slw screw pattern. After drilling them out, and milling pockets for the screw heads, I had a nice and offset wheel for the front end. I will say the benefit of using the EXO kit would be the small size of the front hub assembly. The negative is the low quality of the EXO parts. A slash is 10x stronger than the EXO on its best day.

A quick shot of my Trophy Wraith next to my Blingy wraith.

Overall this thing is the funnest RC I own. It will wheelie over it is so fast, and handles pretty good. A little tuning and a rear sway bar will make good great in the handling department.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Violators Trophy Wraith

Look at you, you stealth SOB thing is badass! You bringin it out this week?
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm bringing them both. That way I hopefully can get at least one pack between both of them before they are both broken!!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

That thing looks beefy. I have been thinking up a similar build, just got to finish a couple of other projects..... I could get so much done if it weren't for work. Dang job, I could be making motor noises all day, just me and my toy trucks!

Btw, still like your style. You know, with the peachy nerts hanging off the back!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Can't wait for some action shots or vids so we can see how this thing performs.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post
That thing looks beefy. I have been thinking up a similar build, just got to finish a couple of other projects..... I could get so much done if it weren't for work. Dang job, I could be making motor noises all day, just me and my toy trucks!
yep. .. I have this idea too but too busy at work, maybe I will just enjoy the wraith for some months and later butcher it to make something similar to this

any video of this rig yet?
Steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I likey your red one better. It is supa sweet! You should put some red ARB diff covers on the axles.

How are you liking those Gmade shocks? I'm thinking of getting those since many on here seem to be using them. Those are the 103mm ones right? Are they a better improvement over the stockers?
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Of course your a Van Halen fan!

Get some video of that trophy!
Looks like fun
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

This rig looks soo sick! Mind if i take some style Q's from it? Also did you know BMRC has a wraith specific trailing arms?
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Nice twist on the IFS Wraith, Wrexo, etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt95 View Post
This rig looks soo sick! Mind if i take some style Q's from it? Also did you know BMRC has a wraith specific trailing arms?

I like the looks of the RC4WD links more. Plus they are longer, so it opened up the wheelbase.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
I likey your red one better. It is supa sweet! You should put some red ARB diff covers on the axles.

How are you liking those Gmade shocks? I'm thinking of getting those since many on here seem to be using them. Those are the 103mm ones right? Are they a better improvement over the stockers?

The red one is OK. It looks cool. It works for shit. I will probably rob some of the parts, wheels and tires off of it and covert it to a water dog. Brushed motor, no rear steering, and drive it in my pool. JeremyH gave me a waterproof ESC, so the hard part is done. Maybe a project for this weekend.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
...and drive it in my pool. JeremyH gave me a waterproof ESC, so the hard part is done. Maybe a project for this weekend.
Hell yes! I approve of this! No warranty though...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm also building a rig with a Slash front end. You're right about the lack of steering. Did you ever figure out anything that works better?

This is what I've got and its pretty freakn' poor.
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

could you flip the servo over so its further from the belcrank and make drag link with a bend so it clears the driveline?
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

The drag link clears the driveshaft no problem. The bellcrank arms hit the diff case and limit the amount of travel. I think that, and the weak built in servo saver spring effect the steering.

I was really surprised at the poor steering because this is essentially the stock slash set up and Slashes can turn on a dime.

Maybe the design just doesn't work well with 5.5" tall tires?
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote

The Violators Trophy Wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trazh's Axial Exo/Wraith IFS Trophy Truck Trazhcan 2.2 Scale Rigs 43 07-09-2014 12:26 AM
The Violators Wraith build The Violator Axial Wraith 47 09-22-2012 12:26 PM
Frankenbortion- The Violators Superbully Rebuild The Violator Superclass Crawlers 8 09-09-2011 08:20 AM
The Violators Beetlejuice V4 Proto rebuild The Violator EnRoute Berg 6 09-16-2010 07:04 PM