Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Wraith a bit different

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 1.9 Wraith a bit different

After the Navex over here in Australia a couple of weeks ago I got to wanting a TT rig(similar to your class 2?), something a bit tougher and with more speed than my JK RV (similar to yourclass1). There was only one problem, $$$$$ or lack of them. So into the parts bin scored me some alloy bent lower links, some alloy bodied Ax 10 shocks, a brushless outrunner with a motor plate and a spur cover, as well as a lighting controller with lights including a Led light bar and a set of axial 1.9 rims with Mthead rings. Next it was Ebay to order a new cage, skid plate with links, body set and screw kit. Now I needed a set of axles and gearbox the only ones I had where in my 1/6th willy's, the gearbox was a alloy case scx10 with RR internals, and the diff's where Wheely Kings with alloy chubs/knuckles, 4 link mounts and upgraded front shafts, hopefully they will last. And Finally onto the pics.
Mods if this is in the wrong area please move it.
Attached Images

greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1.9 Wraith a bit different

A bit different for sure. Off to a good start though. Scale comps are a blast.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks mate, I like building with stuff I already have, and haven't seen a Wraith with WK diff's before so why not,, I've been doing some scale comps for a couple of years and love spending the time with my 2 boys (7 and 14) who both comp with me.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
RCC Addict

That's what makes it worth it and so much fun. I have a few years before my son will even be old enough to start driving RC's, but I can't wait to do it with him.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

i cant wait till my boy is old enough to join me and his grandpa, he just turned one so i got a while to wait. my wife doesnt understand guys and there hobbies and spending the money that we do on our rigs or whatver. probably why its taking me so long to get mine up and running

your custom wraith is looking good greenjk, your definitely gonna get some enjoyment out of it.
Smithysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

im dign it. also dign that that looks to be a scorpion 500 class heli motor. 1400kv 2100kv?. this thing with that motor would be a beast.

now you have me wondering about the 1750 heli motor i have
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
im dign it. also dign that that looks to be a scorpion 500 class heli motor. 1400kv 2100kv?. this thing with that motor would be a beast.

now you have me wondering about the 1750 heli motor i have
Thanks mate, and you are correct it is a scorpion motor a 3000kv, I also have a 2580kv that I can try, I haven't used either one since getting them in a trade a while ago and there the only motors I have laying around so hopefully they will do the job, I need a ESC now and have been told the sidewinder works well with these, any thoughts on this I was thinking of the waterproof one, I'll be picking up some 1.9 sticky irocks for this tonight so will post up some more pics when there mounted on my 1.9 axials with Mthead rings.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i bet they do fine
Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I got some new sticky 1.9 irocks and mounted them up on some axial wheels, Mthead rings with stainless hardware, I also didn't like the way the rear was open so made up a rear panel and stuck a few random stickers on it, while there I decided to recess the rear lights. It didn't look right with the 1.9s and such a long wheelbase so I shortened it up some with temp allthread links. That's it for now, I need a CMS and top panhard mount and ESC to get this running.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Pulled the front diff apart last night to fit a set of heavy duty gears and replaced all the Philips head hardware with stainless hex head, next thing will be the same to rear diff.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks for sharing your build (ongoing). I'm enjoying the fact that it's not just another wraith kit/rtr or some bling'd out, all-bought-and-not-build-vp-rolling-bank-account rig.
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the comments guy's, I'm not really interested in a kit build, as you can see I like something a bit different. Still have plenty planned for this, but It would be nice to get it running first.

Last edited by greenjk; 03-09-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

blinged out vp bank account. thats freaking awesome i love it, ;)

yes its cool this is difrent
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The plan was to use as many parts I had laying around, get as much from the classifieds and keep it as cheap as I could, so far it's worked out quite well.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Pulled the rear diff today and fitted the hd gears as well as the stainless hardware also cut some brake line for the links.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I had a led strip for this but needed to make a housing for it, not sure about it yet but I will finish it off before I make a decision, plan is to sand and paint black then mount it through the roof.
I sleeved the all thread links with brake line and started on my panhard mount for the axle, I still need to get a Chasis mount for it and was thinking VP, then I wiil have to make a mount for the chassis end of the rod.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I came up with a design I thought might work for a servo mount, so decided to make a cardboard pattern and try it out, it looked like it would work so out with the alloy, grinder and cordless drill and presto we have a homemade wraith CMS, much better than buying one. Then I made a drag link and used a tlt mount to fix the top of the panhard to the chassis, also swapped in my 35t motor and BRXL out of the JK, and tested it all out, only a very small amount of bump steer which I'm sure I can improve on. Anyway here's some pics.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Here's a couple of pics of the front end as it sits now, seems to be all but fixed.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Tried this out at our local comp yesterday, and was pretty happy wit it's performance, until it took a swim that is , Benno showed me what he had done with his skid so I decided to do the same to gain some extra ground clearance, I also got a light bar of Rob but haven't decided if I'll use it or the one I was making yet. Here's a few before and after pics so you can see the difference lifting the skid makes.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Looks good. I'm curious to see how the WK axles hold up. I have a set waiting for a project to use them on. I'll subscribe to follow your progress as you get more run time.
scorpiondave is offline   Reply With Quote

1.9 Wraith a bit different - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changed the Wraith up a bit TNCrawler Paint and Body 5 07-24-2012 02:44 PM
something a bit different.. schuler Non Crawler RC's 151 05-15-2012 02:11 AM
Kyle L's Wraith with a bit of Southern Comfort NaZ-T Axial Wraith 35 04-13-2012 11:25 AM
Anybody else bit by this? BJoe Chit Chat 21 04-26-2010 05:17 AM