Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: First Time Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First Time Crawler

Been into RC for about 7-8 years. Started bashing with nitro monster trucks. Then got into racing 1/8 scale buggies and truggies. Briefly race 2wd short course. I am not worried about assembly as I have built many kits.

I'm thinking about building a Wraith. After reading the beginners guide by Harley, I am wondering what Axial Wraith kit parts do I absolutley need to build a Wraith? I don't want to buy stock parts just to break them and then buy upgrades later. I'd rather buy upgrades from the begining and not have to worry much about upgrading.

My first guess would the tube chassis/frame and interior parts. It seems everything else is available as aftermarket or upgrades.

Thanks in advance!
Jake
J_Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

Default Re: First Time Crawler

Not sure if money is an issue, but get a Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro. It can run brushed, brushless, sensored, or sensorless, and its the best there is. But.....its about $150 or more, depending on where you get it.
AxialAlbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

Ive had my wraith for a couple weeks now and have already had two problems with the shitty plastic c-hubs and knuckles. First time the screw was stripped holding the knuckle on out of the box and then I snapped one yesterday while playin with it. Buy some metal c-hubs and knuckles
TiMe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialAlbrich View Post
Not sure if money is an issue, but get a Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro. It can run brushed, brushless, sensored, or sensorless, and its the best there is. But.....its about $150 or more, depending on where you get it.
Mamba max pro with a tekin pro4 3300kv. Robinsons Racing idler, and one piece bottom gear, super shafty top shaft mod on the trans, and the robinson's Gen 3 slitter ment for the slash, the 56tooth 32pitch will still fit under the spur cover. Run an 11tooth 32pitch pinion. Mip driveshafts for the ax10 (will require a little trimming of spur gear cover) with taxxas part # 5145 to secure it to outputs. Vanquish chibs and knuckles for the wraith, and the vanquish steering link for the wraith. Steering servo: 7954sh with a castle 10amp bec set at 7.4 volts. Top plastic links are good to keep as the one weak point. Get some nice aluminium beadlocks, and don't glue to those crappy plastic wheels. That^^ is a bullet proof wraith heres mine as it sits (drive train)
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Metal knuckles, chubs, steering links and lockouts are a must.
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'd suggest you really look at all the parts you might use from the kit and price them all out individually before you commit to buying all the parts seperately. The mark up is so much more on the individual parts that you could throw most of the kit away and still come out cheaper than buying just the parts you need seperately. It's wasteful I know, but when you really start adding it up the individual parts get very expensive very quickly. I just did a quick run through the parts list on the axial website and added up more than the cost of the kit less than half way through the list and that is without counting a lot of the parts you might upgrade like shocks and gears and stuff like that. I only added up stuff that you would almost definitely use from the kit and I hadn't even made it to the cage yet before hitting the $300 mark. The parts for the cage and interior alone (not including front bumper, light buckets, skid plate, or any of the many screws needed to hold it all together) add up to about $150. That's already half the price of the kit. The light buckets and lenses are another 30. Just something to think about.
crockins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Best deal is to find a clean used one
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Crockin, that is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I really thought there were enough aftermarket parts that I wouldn't really need the whole kit.

It's mind boggling how many different companies are making stuff for these trucks. I'm an upgrade junkie so i'm sure this is gonna get out of hand really fast. Haha

Guess i'll just go the kit route.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
J_Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up Re: First Time Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialAlbrich View Post
Esc only, $109 shipped RPP hobby! I just bought one!
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Good choice! Now theres a pro4 on sale in the firsale section for 90 get it!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

Weight your wheels (inside your tires). Makes a great difference when crawling.

S
Sbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

a must must be a bust must.

ive managed to keep all plastick parts intack on the axles exterior and i run way more power and speeds then most would ever dream of my raith has cartwheeled for miles it seems. i also think i run my wraith more than alot of wraiths or may be i just think that.
do your research vp stuff isnt 100% foolproof and some hardcore bashing could leave you replaceing a spendy part instead of cheap plastic part it could also break other parts.

ive heard very few cases of broken stock plastic parts maybe this is because they are replaced with vp stuff before ever runnig or maybe its because they rarely break

if it was me id buy the kit and run the shit out of it and replace and upgrade as needed and not a moment sooner
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote

First Time Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first time crawler curraheejeeps HPI Wheely King 0 01-29-2010 11:50 PM
time to show off your best crawler body/crawler ruda911 Paint and Body 0 01-21-2010 08:45 PM
First time crawler Alexridesabike Newbie General 9 10-01-2008 04:30 PM
Time crawler Robby Newbie General 50 04-21-2008 03:05 AM