Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith vs Savox TG servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Axial Wraith vs Savox TG servo

Wraith won :(

I asked Savox about the warranty (it's only 2 months old), but I just went ahead and bought the gear set. HOPEFULLY this is all I'll need and not another $70 servo.

Has anyone had an indestructible TG servo? This Savox did great but I'm tired of breaking servos.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Axial Wraith vs Savox TG servo

If you are tired of breaking servo's I would build in a weak point before the servo. I have left the stock wraith tie rod and drag link just to serve as a fuse. If I do something dumb and force it when I shouldn't the stock plastic will give instead of putting all the force on the servo gears. If I was going to keep the wraith front end I would consider a metal tie rod and a plastic drag link.
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

A lot of the guys run Hitec Servo's.
I use a Hitec HS 7955 TG a little on the spendy side but it has held up to whatever I can wedge my wraith into.
Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoSoul View Post
If you are tired of breaking servo's I would build in a weak point before the servo. I have left the stock wraith tie rod and drag link just to serve as a fuse. If I do something dumb and force it when I shouldn't the stock plastic will give instead of putting all the force on the servo gears. If I was going to keep the wraith front end I would consider a metal tie rod and a plastic drag link.
The stock plastic is so flimsy, it wont stand up to the high torque sero I have on there. It sounds like a great idea, don't get me wrong. I have the STRC linkage set with the rod ends that came with the Wraith kit. Even those tie rod ends have stretched to where there is a ton of play now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
A lot of the guys run Hitec Servo's.
I use a Hitec HS 7955 TG a little on the spendy side but it has held up to whatever I can wedge my wraith into.
I might have to give that one a whirl. I thought the Savox could stand up to my abuse. As I was reading about the gear set before I bought it, I found out that it still uses an aluminum first gear!! I believe that is what I broke too. I might have to bite the bullet and get what is already tried and true, a Hitec HS-7955TG.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I definitely agree that they will stretch over time. Mine are starting to do so with my savox 1230sg tugging on it. As my friend once told me "when you upgrade to a stronger part all you are doing is moving the breaking point." If you build in you breaking points then theoretically you should be less surprised when something happens and spend less time waiting on parts.

I think I would like to try a plastic drag link with revo ends, but since I'm working on collecting parts for an exo front suspension swap it probably won't happen.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #6

This might sound stupid,, but how about a "servo saver" ?????
wraithchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

If you have a CMS then I could see possibly running a servo saver. I can't say that I would like to look of one hanging off the front of my axle.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I did the same thing to my TG savox, the top gear stripped. I cant remember the model # but it was around 70 dollars. Then i bought the 100 dollar savox and havent had an issue with more abuse. Hitec is the way to go IMO
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams View Post
I did the same thing to my TG savox, the top gear stripped. I cant remember the model # but it was around 70 dollars. Then i bought the 100 dollar savox and havent had an issue with more abuse. Hitec is the way to go IMO
The $70 TG Savox's are really not meant for a Wraith. They just don't have enough torque, the highest is the 1256 that has 222. I think the Wraith really needs 300+. I ran the 7955TG, but really like the Savox 1283sg with 416oz

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
A few of my mates have got Wraiths and ridgecrests with metal steering links and have all had numerous servo issues. One even broke the mounting lugs off of the casing.
I kept the plastic links on mine running a Savox 1256 tg and after well over a year I've had no issues.
Syncrog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #11

I run a Hitec 7950TH on weighted VP wheels with no issues. It's spendy, but it's a boss. It gets a little warm (not hot), but that's about it.

486 on 7.4v

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWCE6

Last edited by Swass; 04-02-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Swass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I jump and rock bounce my wraith pretty hard with a 7955 without issue but I still have the stock plastic linkage. I'm kind of scared to swap to metal linkage.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

What did you do to break it? Force on rocks? Hard landing?

I had a new Savox go out on a Losi buggy. Just stopped working. Savox replaced it, no questions asked. They said as long as it didn't failure due to fuel (nitro).
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithchild View Post
This might sound stupid,, but how about a "servo saver" ?????
Being that the steering is "part of the axle", I wont help too much. You can still be in a bad bind and max out the servo saver very quickly.

Quote:
If you have a CMS then I could see possibly running a servo saver. I can't say that I would like to look of one hanging off the front of my axle.
X2. The CMS seems like a better scenario to use a servo saver. With one, with the servo on the axle, I seems like it could make the drag link crossover the tie rod and cause binding problems and steering problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams View Post
That's exactly what happened with mine. I'm still waiting for Savox to reply back to my email. But my Savox SC-1256TG was around $50-60, IIRC. I might just buy what is tried and beaten and get the Hitec 7955TG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swass View Post
I run a Hitec 7950TH on weighted VP wheels with no issues. It's spendy, but it's a boss. It gets a little warm (not hot), but that's about it.

486 on 7.4v

TowerHobbies.com | Hitec HS-7950TH HV Digital Ultra Torque Coreless TG
I'll have to check out that servo as well! Thank you for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
I jump and rock bounce my wraith pretty hard with a 7955 without issue but I still have the stock plastic linkage. I'm kind of scared to swap to metal linkage.
I was rock boucing with mine the day before this happened so I wonder if it started to fail out at the park. Like stated, I'm using STRC's linkage set, nothing too fancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansh88 View Post
What did you do to break it? Force on rocks? Hard landing?

I had a new Savox go out on a Losi buggy. Just stopped working. Savox replaced it, no questions asked. They said as long as it didn't failure due to fuel (nitro).
I FINALLY got my Castle Link for my MMP and I was adjusting the ESC's and BEC's settings and I was going out for a test drive. The BEC was upped to 6.2V to see what else it had to offer. I was in my backyard and got some air off of a bump and I guess it just landed funny and snapped.

I'm still awaiting Savox's response as well as Savox's replacement gear set I purchased.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

What model savox are we talking about here?

I have the 1268 and its a lot more servo the the 1257 size power seed everything.

I don't think the 1250 series was realy meant for crawlers
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
What model savox are we talking about here?

I have the 1268 and its a lot more servo the the 1257 size power seed everything.

I don't think the 1250 series was realy meant for crawlers
I broke the Savox SC-1256TG servo
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

An airplane servo ;)

The 1256 does have 277oz so can get the job done crawling.

Last edited by evan03; 04-02-2013 at 10:16 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
RCC Addict

SA-1230sg has been a monster on my front end, never a glitch either. 500 oz.

Last edited by Norton; 04-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post

I've been running this one for a while as well. I have a CC BEC too. Not a single issue with it.

Savox SA1230SG Digital Servo
tripsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
An airplane servo ;)

The 1256 does have 277oz so can get the job done crawling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsix View Post
I've been running this one for a while as well. I have a CC BEC too. Not a single issue with it.

Savox SA1230SG Digital Servo

I just installed the new gear set and the Savox is back up and running! The $25 gear set sure beats a new servo!!! I will get the Hitec 7955TG anyway so that this doesn't happen again.

Here's what I found when I cracked open the case:

Axial Wraith vs Savox TG servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savox servo Bogncrawl Electronics 8 02-17-2013 08:25 PM
Savox servo? sandrocks Electronics 3 11-20-2012 03:01 AM
savox servo weese78 RC4WD Bully 5 01-22-2011 12:33 PM