Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hitec HS 7955TG servo problem?? Weirdness!! Help if you can :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation Hitec HS 7955TG servo problem?? Weirdness!! Help if you can :)

I am having a problem with my Hitec 7955TG servo. I ran it for maybe 10 minutes on my speed Wraith. It was on loose gravel and flat, no crawling. I was spinning donuts and mostly straight blasts.

The servo just up and died!! I had no steering. I get my Wraith home, take servo out and was about to package and ship to Hitec. I thought let me check one more time to see if it will work....I connect it back up and wham!! It works like nothing even happened!! WTH!!

I wonder why this happens?

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Hitec HS 7955TG servo problem?? Weirdness!! Help if you can :)

Only two things I can think of...

The connection became loose enough and lost power.

Or... Did you have the throttle pinned to one side and it maybe thermaled and shut itself down.. If that's possible.
Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The connection never came loose so no to that one, hehehe.

Yeah I had the throttle pinned most of the time I was playing. It is a servo issue that is for sure. I connected it to a different receiver shortly after I got the Wraith home and servo out. It did the same thing which was nothing.

Weird how I waited about 45 minutes then connected back up and it works like nothing ever happened. It is leading me to believe a poorly soldered circuit board or something.

I might just send it in to see what Hitec says. I am sad that I won't have my Wraith to play with for weeks now.

Maybe I need a better servo...another brand!! Futaba or something??????? :(
Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Do you have a BEC? Edit: never mind i see you plugged it into a different rx. Could be the wires at the plug. Ive owned around 10 ti geared hitec servos and never had one fail. Some of them are 6-7 years old. Why not just buy another one while you wait for warranty?

Last edited by dittohead; 04-03-2013 at 12:53 AM.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #5

Something thermaled - the servo itself, an external bec if you have one or the bec in the esc itself.
Otherwise a loose connection externally or internally on the servo itself.
CreepyCrawly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have ran a 7955tg on my wraith with a CMS and panhard. I crawl it, jump it and race it in Terra-X. No issues at all. Great servo!!
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by propane View Post
i have ran a 7955tg on my wraith with a cms and panhard. I crawl it, jump it and race it in terra-x. No issues at all. Great servo!!
x2...
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It is a mystery to me!! I am baffled. I am thinking it is something internal on the board for sure. Hitec said unless I programmed the overload protection to be on then it normally is off so I doubt it was that. I do not have a programmer and never changed anything myself.

I did win this as part of a prize Wraith here. I should contact the builder maybe. I doubt he changed anything either.

If I was to buy another servo what would be best? I am leaning away from Hitec now!! This has me paranoid! Very frustrating to finally get a build done and want fun only to run into a failed steering servo!

I am going out to play with the Wraith again since it seems to be working this morning after I re-installed it. Wish me luck...hehehe

Thanks guys for the replies and I know Hitec is reputable I don't knock them at all since they are pioneers in this hobby!!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Okay so I think I will add a CC BEC in the mix to try and supply this servo with a stable power source. I also set my EPAs way lower to try and see if I stressed it too much before. I just want to have fun!! I have to maintain a fleet here..lol Between Oilcanman and myself it is a full time job. :P
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

depending on what esc you are using the internal bec may just not have the umpf to supply enough power to the servo. I tried to run my 7950 on the internal bec of a timbuk 2 and it would shut the steering off when you hit the throttle full and yes it got hot too, since putting the bec on it no more issues these digital servos are power hungry for sure I am using the 6 volt 5 amp bec from novak. also if you are on the rocks with sticky tires steering without moving will kill the motor too. I have a 7950 with blown gears so you can tell I am not too nice to my rig ran 7955's while my 7950 was in for warranty.

Last edited by joe daigle jr; 04-03-2013 at 12:00 PM.
joe daigle jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Running a high power servo you ALWAYS should run an external bec.
I have to run one on my BRXL, If I don't the escape will get hot to the touch.
With a bec it runs cool.
Castle or Novak escs cant handle a strong servo alone.
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I am going to wire the CC BEC in and set for 6V. I just didn't feel like finding a spot to put the BEC and also waterproofing it. It is slowly coming along.

Thanks again guys for the input. I received the CC BEC with this Wraith but figured I could get away with using the Tekin RS ESC BEC.......not to be!! Hehehe.

Hitec HS 7955TG servo problem?? Weirdness!! Help if you can :) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hitec 7955tg problem. .. . help needed!!! IDnewcrwlr Electronics 5 09-12-2009 02:28 PM