Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Help spend my $

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Help spend my $

Ok, been doing a lot of searching so now I want opinions. I am getting a rtr Wraith this week and want to get started on some upgrades, buy once, cry once I suppose. I want to start with Tekin Pro4 and RX8. So, I started a short list to start with;
VP stage 1
VP titanium links
VP HD axle shafts
VP or? Locker
32 pitch gear sets
Hitech 7950 or 7954

I'm trying to start with parts that NEED upgrades first, then stuff like wheels and tires and pretty things. I feel like I can tune suspension after its up and running. So is this a good start and what am I forgetting?
Dfl4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Help spend my $

That sounds like a great start. Spend your money on decent parts and buy once
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

RRP tranny gears, bronze bushings for the pinions, a pack of shims and some sort of drive shaft solution.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

How about MIP shafts? RPP seems to have most of my things in stock, so maybe there? And I thought the 32 pitch gears where a strong upgrade whilst leaving a cheap weak link? Or is all metal that much better?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfl4000 View Post
How about MIP shafts? RPP seems to have most of my things in stock, so maybe there? And I thought the 32 pitch gears where a strong upgrade whilst leaving a cheap weak link? Or is all metal that much better?
RPP - CHECK

MIP drivelines - CHECK

"32 pitch gears" is in reference to Spur (plastic/weak link) and Pinion (metal/indestructible) - CHECK

Robinson Racing tranny output gear and idler gear for inside the transmission - good suggestion, especially running a hot motor!
BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I see, thanks. Robinson racing for gearbox gears. Makes sense now. There is so much for these cars it makes my head spin.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Metal trany gears are a must as well as stronger then stock drive lines. Axle lockers will probly also need upgraded.

I've done all these mods and am running a little more power then the pro4 and she's holding up pretty good.

I'm running hot racing spools in my axles. VP cost to much for my wallet for little to no advantage.

Stock axial inner shafts are holding up great. May replace them some day but not till breakages

Last edited by evan03; 04-09-2013 at 09:59 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Now if I buy the kit, will any of the upgraded Axial parts like the axle shafts or drive shafts and links hold up to the extra power? If that is the better route I certainly would build it. I just figured if I will replace everything then why get the kit. But if the parts are actually worth it...
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Your gonna end up replacing everything anyway most likely. You could always buy a used modded roller also. There is some pretty good deals on here at times for used clean rigs for a fraction of the cost of buying everything new. I bought a nice roller from here and built it up the way I wanted it and saved a little money but still have a lot of money in my rig
throttlejock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I bought mine as a kit, wish I would have bought someone's roller bc I ended up replacing everything any ways
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I figured I will eventually replace everything, just wanted a solid foundation. I don't want to say $ is no option, just spend it wisely first. I figured start strong and go from there. Wheels, tires and radio next. :-)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #12

definetly go the kit or roller route the rtr you will just end up taking all the stock stuff out and replacing it anyway so in my opinion a rtr is about a waste of monies
Billadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Get Hot Racing steel spools. Extremely simple and effective and the price of two is the same as one VP locker.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Get Hot Racing steel spools. Extremely simple and effective and the price of two is the same as one VP locker.
+1

I would also look at a AL Tranny case if you are going to put the RRP Steel gears in. The plastic case has holes that the idler gear shaft fit into. In my case the holes were sloppy to start & in no time that shaft had wobbled enough to increase that play. I ditched the plastic case to better support the new gears & bushings.
VP makes an AX10 case which can be used but Hot Racing makes an actual Wraith tranny case & it is a direct replacement for stock, thats what I have.

These are BOMB servo arms!

Search results :: The Crawlers Store LLC
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Now if I buy the kit, will any of the upgraded Axial parts like the axle shafts or drive shafts and links hold up to the extra power? If that is the better route I certainly would build it. I just figured if I will replace everything then why get the kit. But if the parts are actually worth it...
The front universal shafts from the kit are really good pieces. The rtr dog bones are garbage. I'm running more power than a pro4 and have no problems with the kit shafts.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
The front universal shafts from the kit are really good pieces. The rtr dog bones are garbage. I'm running more power than a pro4 and have no problems with the kit shafts.
Garbage is a bit strong.

I am running a 35T bushed w 3s & have my steering set so they don't pop or break. If you are going brushless or 4s & up you need far stronger than the bones. If you are not maxxing out the power & steering the bones are quite sevicable.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

The kit is starting to sound the way to go. If the axles and drive shafts are up the par, then a kit with a 4pl is about the same as the rtr with the added cost of VP axles and mip shafts. Thanks for all the advice, this is very helpful.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
If the axles and drive shafts are up the par
The axles & drive shafts are adequate for brushed trail / bashing / crawling.
If you are going to compete you will likely need more power & turning radius than the bones can handle.

I want to get every penny out of my bones, eventually I hope to go 4WS & then I will upgrdade the front to universals (for more turning radius) & put the bones in the back.

I am still running the plastic drive shafts to leave a weak point that is quick, cheap, & easy to fix. I would rather have a shaft break in the field than strip my spur or break gears in the axles. I think of the plastic shafts as a "fuse" in the drive train that keeps gears from being damaged & gear damage usually leads to other damage.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
Garbage is a bit strong.

I am running a 35T bushed w 3s & have my steering set so they don't pop or break. If you are going brushless or 4s & up you need far stronger than the bones. If you are not maxxing out the power & steering the bones are quite sevicable.
The op said he is starting out with a pro4 so what's working for your 35t really has no relevance. For his application dogbones are indeed garbage.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
The op said he is starting out with a pro4 so what's working for your 35t really has no relevance. For his application dogbones are indeed garbage.

Line 1 Post 1
Quote:
Ok, been doing a lot of searching so now I want opinions.
IMO You should focus on bulletproofing the entire drive train then get your motor & esc.
I swear Tim Taylor would love the current mindset
MORE POWER!
I will take any garbage Wraith dogbones anyone would like to give me.

Last edited by Dostradamas; 04-10-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Help spend my $ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much do you spend... braceysdad Chit Chat 18 11-15-2011 04:42 PM
$400 to Spend blt-2-drg Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-16-2008 07:31 PM
How much did you spend. RodyRazorBackc5 Chit Chat 19 12-26-2006 11:02 PM
$60 to spend... gopher Tamiya TLT Crawlers 15 12-13-2006 07:29 PM