Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: G6 WB Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default G6 WB Question

For those of you who have some G6 or G6-type experience:
I am building a Wraith in hopes to make the Axial/Pit Bull Tires RECON G6 in St. Louis in July, and am in the process of making Delrin lower links to replace the aluminum ones. I'm wondering if there is a benefit (more stable at higher speeds) of lengthening the WB by 1/2" - 1", or if the longer WB would hurt me in the technical sections so that any speed benefits would be negated. The rig came with the VP cms/panhard also, so the lengthening would be done in the rear only so as not to mess up the front linkage. Although, I understand that at higher speeds the cms is probably not ideal... I could be convinced to remove it, but would like to keep it if it isn't detrimental.

I have zero experience with the Wraith or G6 events, so any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by papabash; 04-14-2013 at 04:16 PM.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: G6 WB Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
For those of you who have some G6 or G6-type experience:
I am building a Wraith in hopes to make the Axial/Pit Bull Tires RECON G6 in St. Louis in July, and am in the process of making Delrin lower links to replace the aluminum ones. I'm wondering if there is a benefit (more stable at higher speeds) of lengthening the WB by 1/2" - 1", or if the longer WB would hurt me in the technical sections so that any speed benefits would be negated. The rig came with the VP cms/panhard also, so the lengthening would be done in the rear only so as not to mess up the front linkage. Although, I understand that at higher speeds the cms is probably not ideal... I could be convinced to remove it, but would like to keep it if it isn't detrimental.

I have zero experience with the Wraith or G6 events, so any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Dave
if you drive smart a bone stock wraith will finsh
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan w View Post
if you drive smart a bone stock wraith will finsh
I have no doubt about that, but much of my enjoyment of the hobby comes from modifying my rigs for optimum performance.
I'm making new lower links, I would just like to know if it would be beneficial to make them a bit longer or leave them the stock length?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

As far as G6 s goes its not about speed. Your rig needs to go as fast as you can walk. They typically do not want people running. The courses tend to be more technical and about skills than about speed. I have my wraith setup more for crawling than speed. That's what works best for me at events...Have fun at your G6!
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
As far as G6 s goes its not about speed. Your rig needs to go as fast as you can walk. They typically do not want people running. The courses tend to be more technical and about skills than about speed. I have my wraith setup more for crawling than speed. That's what works best for me at events...Have fun at your G6!
Good to know, I thought it was more of a mix of fast sections with technical sections along the way. Part of my reasoning for extending the WB a bit was also for better climbing ability (Honcho climbs verticals better than the Dingo). After looking through a ton of pics and videos, it appears most everybody is running stock wheelbases, though.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I haven't compared my wraith to a stocker, but im pretty sure it is stretched a bit and I dont have any trouble. Long and low seems to work really well for me, but dont be afraid to test out multiple link lengths and see what works for you

Also, no need to take your CMS off at all!
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
I haven't compared my wraith to a stocker, but im pretty sure it is stretched a bit and I dont have any trouble. Long and low seems to work really well for me, but dont be afraid to test out multiple link lengths and see what works for you

Also, no need to take your CMS off at all!
Low and long is exactly what I was thinking, good to know about the cms also!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

only highspeed is if your an ultra driver...

other than that its a brisk walking pace.

keep it stock length links and lower it a lil if you hadn't already..

Im planning on making that st Louis G6.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
only highspeed is if your an ultra driver...

other than that its a brisk walking pace.

keep it stock length links and lower it a lil if you hadn't already..

Im planning on making that st Louis G6.
Okay, that makes more sense then. I'm a runner, but brisk walking sounds much more enjoyable with an RC!
It is already lowered some, came with the CKRC lowering kit already on it. Looking forward to meeting you there!

G6 WB Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drive way too fast question and front locker question. Mr.JayDeeM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-07-2012 09:19 AM
clearance question and articulation question axialnut Newbie General 17 09-24-2010 09:55 PM
Simplefied question for pervious question. Mudsy Tamiya Clod Buster 2 05-03-2009 09:59 AM