Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Best Slow Crawl Setup........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Best Slow Crawl Setup........

awaiting the shipment of my wraith this week, have a nicd 2000,3000,5000 packs too. Ive been a member since '09 and this my first post because I finally pulled the trigger....hahaha

Out here in Hawaii, there is alot of slow going lava rock which I plan to attack while by the beach or just out for fun.

Looking at starting with the gearing. 87t & 14t first off. Not sure on the basics of this....is this the gears behind the transmission cover? Im assuming the 14t is on the motor and the 87t is the larger one it drives against.....any axle gearing needed? or that as well? Been searching this fourm all weekend for gearing and knuckles, hubs, lock outs etc.

Its just all new to me and until i either take it apart or put it together, words are just words and I seem lost. basic pics and I've been putting somethings together in my head on whats what. Thanks for all your input and can't wait to contribute my knowledge as well.

Aloha

little squirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Best Slow Crawl Setup........

87 spur and 14 pinion will be good for crawling . If you need a bit more speed go with a bigger pinion gear. 15-17t. Axel gears are fine.
krank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

If you want a slower crawler set up that is spot on I'd go with the holmes hobbies 35T expert along with the holmes hobbies brxl esc along with 80:17 gearing. I ran that set up for about 6 months and it is slow; about 4mph top speed with 2s. It was an awesome crawler!
ka1fornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

cool, what the best basic hand tools I need to take this thing apart? I have the Axial instructions and they list these, but there is no direct thing saying you need torx t10 or 2mm allen etc....what can you recommend for having the first best hand tools?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You need a 1.5mm 2.0 2.5 and 3.0 along with the axle nut tool...you can find lots of packages that contain those 4 allen screws.

you can check this page out:

Hand Tools | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories
ka1fornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

That's great gearing to start out with.

As for the axle gears. I would recommend underdrive gears in the rear.
Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 43T/13T

If you're serious about slow crawling only I'd even recommend you overdrive the front as well. This will tighten turning radius and make it climb like a coat.
Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 36T/14T

When you install those diff gears, it'd be a good idea to pair them with an improved locker, such as the Hot Racing unit. It's a single piece of steel. Super simple and reliable, and not too expensive.
Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith Unibody SHD Differential Locker
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1fornia View Post
You need a 1.5mm 2.0 2.5 and 3.0 along with the axle nut tool...you can find lots of packages that contain those 4 allen screws.

you can check this page out:

Hand Tools | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories

Awesome! Thanks for the link, order placed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
That's great gearing to start out with.

As for the axle gears. I would recommend underdrive gears in the rear.
Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 43T/13T

If you're serious about slow crawling only I'd even recommend you overdrive the front as well. This will tighten turning radius and make it climb like a coat.
Axial HEAVY DUTY BEVEL GEAR SET 36T/14T

When you install those diff gears, it'd be a good idea to pair them with an improved locker, such as the Hot Racing unit. It's a single piece of steel. Super simple and reliable, and not too expensive.
Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith Unibody SHD Differential Locker
Ok, so why the mix and match of gear ratio's front/rear? I thought you need them to be the same? Am I missing something? Thanks

I seem to only find 80t metal gears, where can I find the larger 87t?

Last edited by little squirt; 07-15-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thats for crawling ONLY, it makes the fronts spin faster for better turning and crawling. Bad for just driving around.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

gotcha!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i agree with the holmes hobbie motor. i went with the 55t expert. and its slow, slow, slow. just the way i wanted it. the axle gears are fine. but if your going with low gears thats alot of torque. i put in 32p gears at 15/60
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by little squirt View Post

Ok, so why the mix and match of gear ratio's front/rear? I thought you need them to be the same? Am I missing something? Thanks

I seem to only find 80t metal gears, where can I find the larger 87t?
It's a trick we use in RC crawling. By speeding up the front axle and slowing down the rear axle it improves turning radius and helps eliminate torque twist when climbing. For a trail truck I use one or the other only and there is no down side at all. Both is a little extreme for anything but pure rock crawling. I have run both on a trail truck and it wears the BACK side of the rear tire treads from being dragged down the trail slightly. But man oh man does it perform great in rough terrain.

I would stick to a plastic 87t spur gear. With the mesh set properly it'll last as long as the steel pinion gear. I've even worn out pinion gears and the spur is still nearly perfect.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I tried the 36/14 up front and didn't like it, either did my rig. I went back to stock up front and the 43/13 in the rear and now we are both happy. I also use the 87 tooth spur with a 12 tooth pinion, 35 turn Novak motor. It climbs very well. Oh, don't forget a good metal servo horn when you end up changing your steering at some point. Enjoy your Wraith, it's a nice rig.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Got some basic parts in so far

-80 & 87t spurs
-27T & 55T axial motors
-HD lockers
-extra axle gear sets
-alum hex hubs
-super soft tires

next on the list

-suicide switch steering setup
-VP stage 1 kit, hubs, knucks, lockouts

then drive it until I start breaking things!! Can't wait!

Last edited by little squirt; 07-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You may find that flat irons are a little short for that jagged lava rock causing you to get hung up on the diffs a lot..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
You may find that flat irons are a little short for that jagged lava rock causing you to get hung up on the diffs a lot..

is there better tire you think I could lean towards for this lava rock I'll be crawling?

Last edited by little squirt; 07-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Any of the 5.7" scale tires would serve you well. Baja claws, boggers, iroks, or rock beast 2.

I have the Baja claws and boggers in the x2ss compound and they are both great tires in my experience.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Mickey Thompson 2.2 Baja Claw TTC Scale Tires (pair)

Interco IROK 2.2 Super Swamper Scale Tires (2)
Attached Images

Last edited by Norton; 07-22-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote

Best Slow Crawl Setup........ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VERTICAL LIMITS.! Slow Crawl Extreme.! Rivas Concepts Scale Videos! 12 02-28-2013 12:16 AM
Long slow crawl to Nat's Creepy Inc. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 55 12-06-2010 07:26 AM
Is my setup right? CKRC Stage 2 setup - front axle castor Miller Time Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 03-01-2008 12:54 PM
project slow crawl skate Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 11 04-01-2005 06:58 PM