Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: What is holding the Wraith back...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What is holding the Wraith back...

What is holding the Wraith back from being the best crawler it can be? I know the longer wheel base isn't favorable but what else?

I am building a wraith for %100 crawling and trail, I have absolutely zero interest in speed. What are the necessary mods to get the wraith to its full potential?

What ride height should I be shooting for?
johncraddock445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What is holding the Wraith back...

Well the stock Wraith is too high. As far as ride height, it depends on the shocks you run. The optimal shock lengths is around 100mm however if you want the most articulation, a larger shock (around 120mm) is better. Ride Height is up to you but I would start as low as you can go and increase ride height depending on what you see is needed. You will need a lowering kit to tune ride height. Here is the one I use.I like it a lot. Gear Head RC makes one too, If you prefer Delrin over Aluminum. I could go on for days about this stuff, But there is a wealth of info here and here. You can always PM me for specific questions.
lostonthetrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So far I have beadlocks rovers alum links all around 300+ oz servo, black dot springs and the lowering kit just showed up today..... it has came together nicely.... But constantly high centering over objects is getting annoying (at stock ride height) I dont remember it being this bad with my ax10.... Im a liittle worried about installing the lowering kit
Old 10-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would say 400 ounce/onch servo... Savöx 1231SG
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncraddock445 View Post
So far I have beadlocks rovers alum links all around 300+ oz servo, black dot springs and the lowering kit just showed up today..... it has came together nicely.... But constantly high centering over objects is getting annoying (at stock ride height) I dont remember it being this bad with my ax10.... Im a liittle worried about installing the lowering kit
If you get bigger shocks, you can use the lowering kit to get you back to you stock ride height or leave it at it's new raised height.
lostonthetrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Big diff in gen1 or gen 2 ax10 & wraith! The gen 1 ax will be tons better crawler than any of the three. The big thing with wraith is the skid being long & wide with wheelbase being too long to boot! Shortening wheelbase will make it better,along with...
crawler innovations dual stage foams
400+oz servo
High clearance rear links
Knuckle weights
Under drives in rear(I also run over drives in front)
HH 16t-35t crawler motor
HH brxl or mini brxl esc
BEC to power servo
2 1/2 to 3"" is a good ride height but still have breakover issues with wraith platform.
I know this is a lot of parts & $$$ but don't waste it when ya can do it right the first time!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thanks sic1to! thats the info i was looking for... fortunately I already have most of these parts on the table ready to be installed... My biggest question is on wheel base... how would one go about shortening it? well Im assuming custom links?? Are they something that I would need to build myself or is there a kit that is readily available?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I would mock up with all thread 8/32 & revo rod ends to get desired wheel base & then clock axle pionions up a tad for better angle & mock those as well! Then email or pm Erik at Dlux fab & get him to make ti links or go to auto parts get 1/4" brake line & 8/32 all thread & make your own for around $30.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

My biggest limitation is break over angle as well. I run a slightly taller ride height and just compensate with my driving for the reduced stability. Has worked out well for me so far
3stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

What tires are you using? Taller ones like the pitbulls help a little bit
db450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I am will be running rovers and/or flat irons (when they get here fri) from what I gather online it looks like both of these tires are shorter then the stock tires... can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Flat Irons are much shorter than stock, as are the Pit Bill RB XORs. I run Flat Irons on a couple of other rigs and like them where I use them. I had run RB XORs on my Wraith but switched to RB2 2.2s. The XORs were very good and now run on my R1 Frankenstein, but I prefer the taller 2.2s for the Wraith for ground clearance. There isn't a right or wrong answer on tires - try out a couple of different options and you'll find one you like to fit your driving style and normal driving environment.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
Suck it up!

*ahem* Wraith 4 Link Skid Risers from DCW
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

^yep^
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Oh yeah!!! Sorry Duuuuuuuuude I got two sets & yes it improves link geometry & look sweet at same time!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I've had my wraith for almost 2 years now and I was never happy with how it crawled.

This summer I but the bullet and decided to give it one last go and throw some coin at it.

I went with the new scale knuckles and c-hubs from VP which was a huge improvement to the steering throw.

I also went with the BMRC trailing arms, TI links and steering rods tied together with the DMG Stiffy Trailing Arm rear cage.

It completely transformed my wraith. The articulation is amazing, the ride height is a little higher than I'd like, but that'll be easily fixed with some adjustments I haven't had time to make yet.

I was ready to post it up for sale before I made these changes, and now I love my wraith. The only other item I need to add is the rear sway set up as it's got more body roll when I'm just running it around on the trail, again an easy fix.

Matt at BMRC was awesome to work with. The VP scale Knucks had just come out and he let me send my front axle up so that he could make sure the steering links were spot on. His turn around time was quick and his communication consistent and timely. I can't say enough about the quality and performance of this set up. It performs far better than I'd expected.

Here are some pics:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413637166.964815.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  161.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413637316.174994.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  152.2 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413637391.314560.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  161.1 KB
In this last pic, it looks like I'm hung up, but simply turning the fronts in and it crawled right out, no drama.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #17
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I built my Wraith kit from the beginning as a crawler and I love it. It's more fun than my old AX-10 ever was. Move the battery to the front. I've got the ride height set so the lower links are parallel to the ground. tall tires to go with that to help with ground clearance.. I like baja claws and boggers. Good shocks. I use Traxxas Bigbores meant for a E/T-maxx. A 400+oz servo to turn the tires. CVD's or Universals for sharper steering. OD and UD gears for better climbing and sharper turning. Good strong brushed esc and motor or quality sensored brushless setup.

Jus is offline   Reply With Quote

What is holding the Wraith back... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to a Wraith! juttsvw Axial Wraith 44 10-31-2013 06:32 PM
Silver Back Wraith Benitoculito Axial Wraith 2 03-30-2013 10:48 AM
Back into R/C with the Wraith rippinscort Axial Wraith 5 06-07-2012 10:41 PM
How are you holding your action figure in your Wraith craddock35 Axial Wraith 33 03-12-2012 08:44 AM
Getting back into R/c after 8 years- get a wraith? strap624 Axial Wraith 15 08-29-2011 08:28 PM