Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith or SCX10 for Trail Running

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Wraith or SCX10 for Trail Running

Looking to get into some trail running. I have about $400 budget and I wanna purchase a Kit as I have some spare electronics laying around and I think it will be fun to build a kit.

Looking at either the Wraith or the SCX10 and can't decide. Looking to get some advice/opinons.

I am not looking to do a bunch of crawling, but more trail running. Climbing some hills, busting creeks, and tearing through the mud.

So, which would be better for that type of use? Thanks in advance!

PS: I know this is the Wraith board, but wanted to hear from the Wraith side as well.
Mules50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Its a toss up bro I got my scx10 as a kit and love it so I tried out the rtr wraith and burned up the stock motor but as far as which one I love the wraith only down side is some of the fancey stuff that you would like to get ie winch mount bumpers are hard to find sometimes. But the scx10 might be better for wat ur wanting to do

Last edited by arcanecrawler89; 08-26-2013 at 02:36 PM.
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

Default Re: Wraith or SCX10 for Trail Running

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanecrawler89 View Post
Its a toss up bro I got my scx10 as a kit and love it so I tried out the rtr wraith and burned up the stock motor but as far as which one I love the wraith only down side is some of the fancey stuff that you would like to get ie winch mount bumpers are hard to find sometimes
Yeah, I really wanna scale looking vehicle. Something that looks exactly like its full size counterpart. Just wanted to know if the Wraith was alot better and would be the better choice for actual driving.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

IMO Wraith is the best for trail bashing, hill climbs and durability. And with a few goodies can look pretty damn scale. And just like any other rc upgrade parts as needed.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

both are good , but with the shorter wheel base and narrow stance the 10 gets my vote
and is easier to work on.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

SCX-10 would be my suggestion. The Wraith is a fun rig but unless you have some big rock and crazy hills it can get boring. The scx in my opinion has more options and can easily do things a Wraith can if tuned well. Just to throw a few things out: different size wheels (1.55, 1.7, 1.9 & even 2.2) tons of tire options, numerous body options.

Sent from tinker room pro
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

For trail running and scale SCX10. But the Wraith has more driveability than the SCX10 IMO. I love the flex and strength. Yea out of the box you need some upgrades but after that I'd take a Wraith all day. I've driven both but only own a Wraith. I'd say if you're on a "budget" get the SCX10. For me a hobby is a stress relieving money pit haha. That's the only plus I see out of the SCX10 is the play out of the box, it's durable and gets the job done.
NewbieRC361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

1 point I didn't mention with the Wraith that you can also make it very scale just as much as the SCX10.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #9

They are both very fun trucks and really cant go wrong with either one. I would go with the Wraith just because my experience and might be harder to work on but since your getting a kit then it shouldn't be that difficult.
evolution21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The wraith you can drive faster and harder if you are building a kit and don't buy the RTR. the wraith is about brute force and powering through those tough sections. don't get me wrong with the right power source and set up it can crawl real nice but if you wanna hit the trail and tear it up up the wraith is the only choice. the 10 is a great scale truck and are fun to drive slow in a group or a scale course but going fast they are very top heavy and are not made for bashing or hard driving with the bulky bodies. love the scx10 great truck to drive and loads of fun when you drive it properly. IMO.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRC361 View Post
1 point I didn't mention with the Wraith that you can also make it very scale just as much as the SCX10.
Yeah, while I want something that is fun to drive, I also want something that looks cool as well. Part of this is I am looking for something to tinker with during the winter months. I have seen some cool looking scale Wraiths.

I have heard though that Wraith scale parts are tough to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
The wraith you can drive faster and harder if you are building a kit and don't buy the RTR. the wraith is about brute force and powering through those tough sections. don't get me wrong with the right power source and set up it can crawl real nice but if you wanna hit the trail and tear it up up the wraith is the only choice. the 10 is a great scale truck and are fun to drive slow in a group or a scale course but going fast they are very top heavy and are not made for bashing or hard driving with the bulky bodies. love the scx10 great truck to drive and loads of fun when you drive it properly. IMO.
That is what I was thinking. So basically I have to make a decision of do I want a really scale looking vehicle that may or may not drive nice (SCX10) or do I want something that will drive great, but may not look as scale as I want(Wraith).

Looks like I got some thinking to do. It makes it difficult that the kits for both are basically the same price

Quote:
For trail running and scale SCX10. But the Wraith has more driveability than the SCX10 IMO. I love the flex and strength. Yea out of the box you need some upgrades but after that I'd take a Wraith all day. I've driven both but only own a Wraith. I'd say if you're on a "budget" get the SCX10. For me a hobby is a stress relieving money pit haha. That's the only plus I see out of the SCX10 is the play out of the box, it's durable and gets the job done.
What upgrades does the Wraith NEED out of the box. I know going with the kit I get some already upgraded pieces, what pieces should I get and upgrade before even putting the thing together and driving it?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have a ridgecrest (lots of wraith parts but not a wraith) and a scx10. the scx10 is by far my favorite car to run. the ridgecrest can crawl most anything (but steps and things like that... she's got a big belly). the scx10 on the other hand, I have it set up alittle slower, but it still goes faster then I walk. it has more limitations and that makes it alot more fun to me. specially when out trail running in a group.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules50 View Post
What upgrades does the Wraith NEED out of the box. I know going with the kit I get some already upgraded pieces, what pieces should I get and upgrade before even putting the thing together and driving it?
Well ALOT of people will tell you the electronics are shit but you're already ahead in that one. Second you will already have the driveshafts taken care of up front. Also from my understanding you get aluminum Links with the kit? If not they can wait.

Basically I'd say problems come in this order.
1. Electronics
2. Driveshafts
3. Metal gears in the transmission

After that it's all up to your driving style and area.

For me I didn't appreciate the slop in the steering so I got new bearings, STRC Knuckles and C-Hubs, and Golden Horizon Steering link set. Also I have HD metal gears in my transmission.

Also Harley's HD hardware kit is a must on the wraith because screws tend to back out after a while.

I'm still in the process of my build so if you need to, I'm only covering the basics not the bling of the hobby, you can search my username and build in advanced search.

Good luck and to be clear both trucks are amazing I just love the Wraith.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

do the kits come with the self tapping screws or the good screws? ats something I been wondering. after seeing all the trouble those cheap screws caused me on the ridgecrest ats the very first thing I'd say needs to be done to any axial that has em. biggest problems come with the screws in the knuckles / chubs.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Buy the wraith kit. It will keep you tinkering all winter long lol it is a fun truck. And anything scale you can put on an scx10 you can adapt or find similar for the wraith. The sky's the limit with both. It's up to you how scale you make it.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Well ALOT of people will tell you the electronics are shit but you're already ahead in that one. Second you will already have the driveshafts taken care of up front. Also from my understanding you get aluminum Links with the kit? If not they can wait.

Basically I'd say problems come in this order.
1. Electronics
2. Driveshafts
3. Metal gears in the transmission

After that it's all up to your driving style and area.

For me I didn't appreciate the slop in the steering so I got new bearings, STRC Knuckles and C-Hubs, and Golden Horizon Steering link set. Also I have HD metal gears in my transmission.

Also Harley's HD hardware kit is a must on the wraith because screws tend to back out after a while.

I'm still in the process of my build so if you need to, I'm only covering the basics not the bling of the hobby, you can search my username and build in advanced search.

Good luck and to be clear both trucks are amazing I just love the Wraith.
So basically I should look into getting the metal gears for the transmission and then handle the steering. Good to know. And I will definitely take a look at your build, anything can help cause I hear some parts of the instructions are very vague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
Buy the wraith kit. It will keep you tinkering all winter long lol it is a fun truck. And anything scale you can put on an scx10 you can adapt or find similar for the wraith. The sky's the limit with both. It's up to you how scale you make it.
That is what I like to hear. I have always loved the look of the Wraith, just wanted to hear some other opinions.

Looks like I am going with the Wraith. Probably will pick it up in the next few weeks, will definitely post some pics of the build process. Thanks for all the info, and keep the thread going. Would love to hear some ideas on upgrade parts/scale accessories to add on.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I wish I had bought my Wraith as a kit and converted it over to a Poison Spyder.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

We all do but now we know better. That's the best knowledge learn by your own mistakes.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I own both the wraith pre poison spyder and a scx10 kit that was running a vxl as far as both go the drive shafts are shit even running a 12 turn in my scx10 the driveshafts could hardly hold up and the steering on the wraith I broke the first group trail run I did in 30 seconds of fliping on the power but the stock gearing for the wraith will set fire to the motor in a standard crawl non comp I went thru 4 motors thinking that was the problem then I did some research and found the real issue! As my buddy would say just save ur self the trouble and always do ur research! !
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I've had Honchos, Wraiths, and XR10 comp rigs. The Honchos are gone, the comp rigs are being parted out, but the Wraiths are still going. My 2 cents: what is more important, scale looks or performance? While the SCX10s are nice if you want things to look more scale, they do lack in performance. General trail running is alright, but they are not speedy by any stretch. They also lack performance on anything other than smaller rocks, so depends on your choice of terrain. The Wraiths, on the other hand, are speedier, more capable on rocks and rough stuff, and generally handle bashing a bit better (and, as stated already, you will probably upgrade parts as needed). What they lack is "scale" appearance. For pure fun, the Wraiths are a blast. Put some paddles on them in the sand, run G6 style events, crawl, run them on short course tracks, they really seem to be the jack-of-all-trades.

Another suggestion, see if you have a local RC crawling club, or go to your LHS. Usually you'll find types of both there, see what they look like, perform like, some guys may even let you take one for a spin and see if it fits your style.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith or SCX10 for Trail Running - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Vs SCX10 Fun and Scale Trail rules? ProfitOfDoom General Crawlers 8 04-20-2013 05:51 AM
SCX10 & Wraith Trail Run - Lights Required! Lyle Scale Videos! 0 10-22-2012 05:39 PM
25 Trucks beach Trail: 15 Land Rover Defender scx10 Trail Finder 2 Wraith hilux Tundr boolean21 Scale Videos! 6 08-22-2012 04:07 PM
Running Calico Wraith/SCX10 Rockman84 Scale Videos! 3 08-17-2012 07:00 PM
Axial scx10 and Wraith Trail Adventure!!! aking720 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2012 09:22 AM