Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Ion's Wraith Evolution.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
ion
Quarry Creeper

Default Ion's Wraith Evolution.

So after lurking here for over a year now with my wraith I convinced myself to make up a build thread to document how much stuff I have changed and god knows how much money I've dropped into this thing.

Well here we go... I got the kit from my local shop which is CKRC, I'm not a big fan of them actually because when you look at their prices online versus going into the store you get raped when you walk in the store over there. Either way.

Got my new wraith kit, we all know how to put it together, and ordered some el cheap o' aluminum panels off of ebay for 80 bucks, and painted them up in a metallic silver.

Got tired of the silver and the Cheap ass Gmade Air inflatable wheels and the R35 Ripsaws. So i did as everyone does, I grabbed my credit card and pulled up the rpp site and ordered up a set of the Axial new trail ready bead locks and a set of the pit-bull rocker II's. went to my local home depot and got a can of blue metallic, sanded down the silver slapped some blue onto it and new tread and away I went for a little while.

So I went with this setup for a while and started to bend the stock axial aluminum kit links so that gave me the excuse for a full blown suspension re-build of the wraith. Once again got onto Rpp and ordered up the new 110 mm RC4WD King shocks, and picked up a full set of the Titanium links from Blue Monkey RC including the new rear trailing arm setup and his new droop kit.

Once again like I always give my girl friend a hard time about is her clothing and how she can never be satisfied with it, well it's the same for me with the color of this thing. Once again another trip to home depot for a can of bright red paint and some clear coat, another spending spree but this time with clay @ Carter fab for one of his Spartan wrap panels, and one of my favorite websites for some stickers, houseofgrafix.net. It netted me this:

And Most recently I have upgraded the knuckles and Chubs to the new Rc4wd D44 Style because my stock stuff finally stripped out.

Now my most recent purchase is a full set of the fast eddy bearings and because I'm never happy when I have money to burn on this thing a set of the new vanquish Currie Axels in Black front and rear.

Maybe one day I'll actually get out to a G6?!?!

who am I kidding. lol
ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Ion's Wraith Evolution.

How do you like the king shocks?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
ion
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
How do you like the king shocks?

I'm loving them! Some guys say they're a little springy but I run 50 wt oil and they are titties!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion View Post
I'm loving them! Some guys say they're a little springy but I run 50 wt oil and they are titties!
Awesome saying.... :3

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3- This thing has Tekin Hotwire
Famous112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I like the covered look of the side Panels. For some reason it reminds me of a milk truck. Cool sticker of the PBR!

You change the look of your rig more often than I change shoes man!
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
ion
Quarry Creeper

Well since I'm not at all happy with the traxxas TQ4 2.4 radio and receiver setup, and when I had my venom creeper I had a Spektrum DX3E, I found a new DX3E on ebay and a SR300WP Receiver package with it. So my new radio should be here in a week or so. I'll be really happy to have something that I am comfy with again. I'm kinda old school and like the least amount of technology possible with the radio.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
ion
Quarry Creeper

WAHOO!!!!!! my curries came in today! I got the black ones so that my rc4wd d44 c-hubs blend in nicely!

I can't wait to set these bad boys up with the new fast eddy bearings!

Sadly I can't do anything until monday due to other plans this weekend and not going to be home. It's like tempting a fat kid with candy I tell ya!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

how about some pics with out all the flex shots?
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Not sure why fast eddy bearings tons of bearing suppliers why buy from a middle man. Same goes for fastners.

Love the d44 knuckles and also love the ever evolving paint.
Awesome rig looking forward to your rock jock axles

Last edited by evan03; 08-30-2013 at 09:19 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Awesome rig! I can't wait to see your new axles under it.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
ion
Quarry Creeper

Booh yah! Got the VP Curries assembled after a trip to my local true value for a few more stainless steel screws that I was out of after I looked into my screw bins. Time to re-order some of that stuff I guess.

Also picked up a set of used rc4wd iroks from scottanthony (mad skinz stingers) this morning.

Need to get some money together and order up a few new sets of wheels. but that can wait right now.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #12

Those axles are amazing, one of the main reason I bought my PS wraith last week, due to a bunch of my buddies have them in there 1:1 Jeeps, haven't done any mods to my wraith yet but itching, not many stocked RC stores here in BC Canada so waiting to place a large order.
MechanixRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #13

Do you like those King Coilovers?
MechanixRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Booh yah! Got the VP Curries assembled after a trip to my local true value for a few more stainless steel screws that I was out of after I looked into my screw bins. Time to re-order some of that stuff I guess.

Also picked up a set of used rc4wd iroks from scottanthony (mad skinz stingers) this morning.

Need to get some money together and order up a few new sets of wheels. but that can wait right now.

Damn those are nice! Might have to start saving my pennies! Very sweet rig!
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
ion
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanixRage View Post
Do you like those King Coilovers?

Honestly I love the looks of them. I have to run a 60wt oil in them though to get the dampening that I like. for appearance they are 100% titties spot on. for performance they are about 80% out of the box. you have to setup the right oil. and the setup i'm running with the blue monkey rc trailing arm and droop kit in the front they work perfect for me.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
ion
Quarry Creeper

So I got the new radio in the other day. Took full advantage of the Rpp labor day shipping deal and ordered up some more parts. Got a BEC on the way, completely forgot that I'd be needing one with the spektrum radio, got the Vanquish CMS kit and the Pan-hard kit, also found a for sale ad from corey at rpp with an axial NVS System in it for like 50 something bucks brand new in the box so I picked that up as well. So maybe just maybe I can get my lights to finally work the way I have been trying but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the Axial NVS I can run it off of a smaller secondary battery correct? if so I have a 2200 mah 3S pack that I may have to ghetto fab up to work with it.

I need to get to home depot or true value to find a few 1/4" cable clamps so I can finally hinge my hood rather than having to take out 4 hood pins every time.

Also anyone with a set of the 2.2 Vanquish SSZ Stars, I will pay good money for them if they aren't too messed up. as well as trying to find a rouge elements winch mount as well.

Edit: Also got a set of the Hot Racing Steel Transmission Gears.

Last edited by ion; 09-05-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
ion
Quarry Creeper

So I got the cms and panhard kits put on tonight. Ran into a few little issues but nothing a few YouTube videos couldn't help me figure out. Also trying to see if a friend or my brother has the cc bec programming cable link kit. Just trying to save a buck or two.

Should have a set of the new all black methods tomorrow and can get my set of iroks mounted up on either them or a set of rc4wd steelies.

All in all it's coming together nicely.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
So I got the cms and panhard kits put on tonight. Ran into a few little issues but nothing a few YouTube videos couldn't help me figure out. Also trying to see if a friend or my brother has the cc bec programming cable link kit. Just trying to save a buck or two.

Should have a set of the new all black methods tomorrow and can get my set of iroks mounted up on either them or a set of rc4wd steelies.

All in all it's coming together nicely.
How do you like the CMS kit? I purchased it and took it off right away. It killed my front articulation. I run the Proline Power Stroke shocks so I need all the articulation I can get.

Also let me know how the coating on your axles holds up. I wanted black ones, but went with silver... I drive on rocks most of the time a and know ill rub off the coating.

PS: rig looks awesome
LucasAutomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=LucasAutomotive;4467689]How do you like the CMS kit? I purchased it and took it off right away. It killed my front articulation. I run the Proline Power Stroke shocks so I need all the articulation I can get.

How did it kill your articulation? I had more than I wanted and had to limit travel.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #20

[QUOTE=crawler nut;4467730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasAutomotive View Post
How do you like the CMS kit? I purchased it and took it off right away. It killed my front articulation. I run the Proline Power Stroke shocks so I need all the articulation I can get.

How did it kill your articulation? I had more than I wanted and had to limit travel.
The panhard bar was hitting the axle truss causing less up travel and not allowing my shocks to compress as much. I could have done something wrong... but I watched the install video and double checked everything.
LucasAutomotive is offline   Reply With Quote

Ion's Wraith Evolution. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A wraith is born, and some evolution nitrooxide Axial Wraith 6 05-10-2012 11:48 AM
ion's creeper ion Venom Creeper 15 09-11-2010 01:09 PM
CR-01 Evolution The CrAwLL BLACK Tamiya CR-01 19 07-24-2009 03:21 AM
Evolution of my AX-10 dabiddo Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 01-19-2009 08:03 PM
Evolution CSR Chit Chat 3 11-27-2004 01:43 PM