Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Spud-wrench wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Spud-wrench wraith

Hey guys this my lil personal thread for my wraith it seems everyone else has one so why not

Don't expect to see anything cool just yet

I picked this up last week

Posing on my tool box

I'm following Harleys budget built but I'm limited to about 20.00 a week so this thread is going to be boring for a little while

I did go ahead and do a few free mods such as relocating the battery up front

Major improvement but I think the coolest part is I can do endo's now :what:

I stripped my spur gear probably from this exact action lol.

My first thing I plan to upgrade "if" I don't break anything else is the servo links the slop in the steering is driving me crazy

Follow along will hope to have some VP goodies soon when I can save up

sent from old rotary phone using tapatalk
xsputnikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Took my wraith out again today man this thing is a blast :thumbup::thumbup:

biggest issue I've found so far is it loves to be more on its backside then wheels down so I moved the shocks to lowest setting possible on the towers and softened the springs up just a lil bit.

Not sure if anyone else was having issues with running into bumps and it just tipping over. I hate giving up some of the ground clearance. I already moved the battery up front but I may add 2.5 to each side of the front wheel to see if that helps.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Spud-wrench wraith

Just keep in mind the Wraith is no speed demon. The hardest part for me was learning how to drive, I crossed over from nitro and it is a very different world driving a wraith.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsputnikx View Post
Took my wraith out again today man this thing is a blast :thumbup::thumbup:

biggest issue I've found so far is it loves to be more on its backside then wheels down so I moved the shocks to lowest setting possible on the towers and softened the springs up just a lil bit.

Not sure if anyone else was having issues with running into bumps and it just tipping over. I hate giving up some of the ground clearance. I already moved the battery up front but I may add 2.5 to each side of the front wheel to see if that helps.

I had the same problem for the longest time. Then I Added a rear sway bar and Rock Beasts 2 w/ CI double deuce comp cut foams (2 stage foams)..... Made my wraith a ton more stable.

Matt
LucasAutomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Why don't you want to give up the clearance? I moved my shocks same as you, flipped my lower shock/link mounts and set up my shocks to be shorter than stock at ride height. Trust me, giving up the height and clearance of a stock Wraith will help you out in more ways than 1. I dropped mine an inch out if the box and have since done more.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
Why don't you want to give up the clearance? I moved my shocks same as you, flipped my lower shock/link mounts and set up my shocks to be shorter than stock at ride height. Trust me, giving up the height and clearance of a stock Wraith will help you out in more ways than 1. I dropped mine an inch out if the box and have since done more.
I just liked the stance of it and wanted more ground clearance. I flipped the shock mounts on mine last night as well

I wanted to take it out this morning and test it but just didn't have enough time.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Was out bashing today and my servo is already showing signs of failure thought that was what my problem was today but got a little lucky. However I don't think ive ran it more than 10 times so I must be doing something right.

I stripped the stock servo horn today ;D. I was going to order the robitronics servo horn but went with the Axial aluminum one instead I heard both were liked equally. So I will give it a try. Kind of curious to see what the next weakest link is.

I would just go ahead and pull the servo as well but im doing a don't fix it till its broke build at least for now since I don't do any comps/trail runs just backyard fun

Last edited by xsputnikx; 09-18-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

First upgrade I know its not much but its a small step :thumbup:

Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My servo went shortly after getting that same servo arm. I run a different servo now so its just sitting in my parts case. It's a good one as long as you keep it tight. I think if you are searching for a servo, get a Futaba so you can use your same servo arm.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My servo went shortly after getting that same servo arm. I run a different servo now so its just sitting in my parts case. It's a good one as long as you keep it tight. I think if you are searching for a servo, get a Futaba so you can use your same servo arm.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang View Post
My servo is already going out before I even made the swap. I knew I would need a new servo soon anyway. It will be a minute before I replace the factory links to get as much run time out of stock servo axial makes a great truck but the servo that comes on it is garbage from my opinion

Old 09-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #12

if you replace the factory steering links than your servo will probably go out within a couple times of driving it. believe it or not all that slop is actually saving your servo. Watch Harleys video. he explains that.
drunkyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The wraith likes going fast ;)

Sweet build so far
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkyoda View Post
if you replace the factory steering links than your servo will probably go out within a couple times of driving it. believe it or not all that slop is actually saving your servo. Watch Harleys video. he explains that.
Im pretty sure that's the purpose of the flexible front links that's a lot of tire its pushing around so it makes sense ..

I'm just trying to decide what I want to upgrade next .. I'm thinking the transmission gears to hot racing hardened steel

Old 11-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Been a while since I've been on here my wraith has been sitting on the shelf with a broken front bumper. I am waiting on a replacement but went ahead and added some vp steering goodies to see how much quicker I can trash that servo.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Get that thing back out on the trail! ;)

I'm actually following a very similar philosophy in my WraithRunner build with a few exceptions. After I upgraded to a brushless motor, that "upgrade when it breaks" time gap has become much shorter. It seems like a never ending process.
_m_urph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I need to but with limited funds I think I spend more time looking at my truck than actually driving it.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Some new shocks arrived today and I was quite impressed. Imo gmade has been one of the better quality shock sets I've purchased over the past 10 years.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Added mamba max pro sct 3800kv combo along with 32p spur I forsee breaking something in my future ;) also picked up some VP links (still waiting on 2 uppers ) but here is how she sits at the moment while waiting for parts
Old 12-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Spud-wrench wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One spud in the buff Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 2 04-02-2012 11:55 AM
Spud Run 1rcmonster Videos! 0 08-28-2011 08:49 AM
Any spud runners here? djjiz Non Crawler RC's 6 09-30-2008 10:01 PM
Spud Run wrightcs77 Chit Chat 6 08-09-2007 12:35 PM
another spud microgoat Tamiya TLT Crawlers 19 11-07-2005 02:34 PM