Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith trans problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wraith trans problems?

Can anyone tell me if this is a normal sound? I just installed a VP case, HR steel gears, Supershafty 6mm extended outputs,MIP driveshafts, and I regeared it to 15/87 with axial gears. It didn't make this noise before. I took it apart and all looks fine. It also does it when its coming to a stop. Nothing is rubbing anywhere. Is it just normal steel gear noise? http://youtu.be/J2E3sFZDtv4

Last edited by Tmaxxed; 09-15-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith trans problems?

My gears don't make that noise. It did make that noise when I had a missing tooth on my spur gear though. Another thing to look at is the pinion set screw. If it is hitting the spur gear it'll make that noise.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I checked the pinion setscrew and its not even close to the spur. Also if I'm spinning the tires by hand it only does it while turning them forward. No clicking if turning them backwards.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It's the gods punishing you for spending all that money on transmission parts and still running 48p.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

32p gears are next on my list. My wallets just empty right now.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Mine sounded like that in the beginning because I chipped a spur tooth off. Then replaced all gears and such and now I have no noise.

Steel gear noise sounds rough but smooth not the large clicking.

Oh also I only have a slight clicking when reversing. Other than that it's all good.

I would triple check everything. Sorry for no direct answer.
NewbieRC361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I did put a different spur and pinion on and still the same noise. I guess I'll pull the trans apart again.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Other place to check is in diffs front and rear. Mine made noise similar for a while. I installed the vp lockers and applied lock tight but not enough to one of the grub screws and one wound out. It rattled around in the casing of the diff and made a noise as it got caught up but only in one direction. Chewed teeth which didnt help. But gears in diff easy replace. Worth a look incase not in gear box. You can disconnect each diff too via drive shafts to prove if noise in gear box.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Bruiser View Post
Other place to check is in diffs front and rear. Mine made noise similar for a while. I installed the vp lockers and applied lock tight but not enough to one of the grub screws and one wound out. It rattled around in the casing of the diff and made a noise as it got caught up but only in one direction. Chewed teeth which didnt help. But gears in diff easy replace. Worth a look incase not in gear box. You can disconnect each diff too via drive shafts to prove if noise in gear box.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
It sounds like it coming right from the trans. I guess it could be echoing through the driveshafts but it can even be felt if I put my finger on it while turning it. And it started doing it as soon as I put in the new trans. But I'll check it out.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #10

Did you get all the spacers put back in? I had a similar issue when I took my tranny apart and didn't see the small space between the motor plate and trans fell on the bench
jakmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmonkee View Post
Did you get all the spacers put back in? I had a similar issue when I took my tranny apart and didn't see the small space between the motor plate and trans fell on the bench
Yes its in there. I just thought of something though. My wraith trans has a plastic spacer in it and that's the one I used in my new ax/scx style VP trans case. All the scx10s I've had used a metal spacer. Could it be that it should have a metal spacer in it not the plastic?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Well, I took the whole transmisson apart today, there is nothing wrong with it. I took off one driveshaft, it still did it. I took off the other, still did it. I replaced the plastic spacer with a metal one, no change. The gears spin great, nothings rubbing anywhere. Maybe its the motor? But spinning the motor by hand it feels normal. If I spin it without the motor or driveshafts on it its nice and smooth. If the motor is on it I can hear the clicking. I'm at a loss. I guess I'm just going to run it like it is. Maybe I just need to drive it awhile and let every thing seat? It drives perfect. It just clicks. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Tmaxxed; 09-16-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #13

Have you tried a different pinion and spur??? maybe toss the old ones back on and see if the noise goes away.
LucasAutomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yep, I tried that to. Same noise.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Finally somebody that has the same noise mine had. I still have it a little but not as bad as it was. I took the trans back apart and cleaned every tooth of every gear using a small file and a knife. I was told that either the gear didn't get cut right or trash was in the grease and got smashed between the gears causing the the mesh to get a little off as they spin in the trans. Either way I never saw a issue but like I said it did get better after the file and knife deal.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Try checking the angle the pinion and spur are touching. I spent endless hours on the same thing in the wifes wraith just to find out it was a bent motor plate. It wasn't much but if the angles are changed the gear mesh will be off. I changed the plate and the noise was gone. Something to check
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
Finally somebody that has the same noise mine had. I still have it a little but not as bad as it was. I took the trans back apart and cleaned every tooth of every gear using a small file and a knife. I was told that either the gear didn't get cut right or trash was in the grease and got smashed between the gears causing the the mesh to get a little off as they spin in the trans. Either way I never saw a issue but like I said it did get better after the file and knife deal.
Well, I guess that's good to hear. I just put it all back together so I might just say screw it and run it for awhile to see if it gets better by itself. I've only run one pack through the new trans.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
Try checking the angle the pinion and spur are touching. I spent endless hours on the same thing in the wifes wraith just to find out it was a bent motor plate. It wasn't much but if the angles are changed the gear mesh will be off. I changed the plate and the noise was gone. Something to check
I just ordered the supershafty ultimate motor plate so if that is the issue, that should take care of it. But it looks like its lined up good.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Could motor screws be too long? I think that happened to me once and I couldn't turn the motor.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
I have seen some trash between the teeth on rrp trans gears. It looked like the gears weren't clean when they got anodized. It didn't make any noise when assembled though. I could see how it could if the trash was any bigger though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
Could motor screws be too long? I think that happened to me once and I couldn't turn the motor.
I actually have an armature that someone (not me) drove a motor mount screw right into the windings.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith trans problems? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith trans vs ax10 trans weight? TLTCrawlin Axial Wraith 0 09-06-2012 07:14 PM
Trans flip motor problems trailreadyklr Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 11 01-07-2009 11:49 AM