Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Want new axles .....GCM or vanquish?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Want new axles .....GCM or vanquish?????

So I have been looking at upgrading my axles housings in my wraith but I can not decide what to get so I am looking for some feedback on my choices. I am down to the gcm metalheads and a set of vanquish rock jocks. Anyone have any good or bad luck with either of them. The wraith is about 12lbs now and I might move up to brush less power later so that maybe something to keep in mind.

So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bigfoot87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Want new axles .....GCM or vanquish?????

I like the rock jocks due to scale looks.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm running full Vanquish AR60 axle setups , they look fantastic but the bolts need checking all time . Even with threadlock the small bit of play they have between the housing and the lockouts/chubs seems to work loose.
For my new rig I have bought a set of GCM's. I chose them for the minimal parts to them and clean look. I am still using Vanquish chubs and knucks tho.
In the looks department the Rockjocks are the winners by far but too many parts I think. Maybe the tolerances are better than with the AR60's but more parts means more bolts to come loose.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've had gcm metalheads on mine for a while now. Running 550 brushless power through them. Not even a whimper from them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
madtinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtinner View Post
I've had gcm metalheads on mine for a while now. Running 550 brushless power through them. Not even a whimper from them.

This is what I am finding out in my searches compaired to the VP stuff. I love the looks of the rock jocks but if the gcm stuff holds up better that is what I will buy.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I actually prefer the looks of the metalheads as well. Super simple, and tough. I was looking into some SCX ones a while ago..
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Plus the curries don't have rear steer as an option.

Sent from my iPhone in the shop
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

I'd challenge any axle to hold up to the VP units. Insane durability and craftsmanship.

VP all the way.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Cephis did a tech review on the GCM axles. I personally was kinda disappointed with the inside machine work on the VP wraith housing. When I get some down time I'm gonna give my new GCM axles a shake down. I might later on grab another pair of the VP Currie diff housing and get axle tubes made, don't care to much for all those added screw holes on the VP tubes. Other than that you can't beat the scale look of the VP's but man those GCM Axles are down right tough and sexy especially the centered rear.

Scales hardware added
bagged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The first time I noticed the gcm axles was on Cephis bronco build Feona. Now I am starting to see them more and more. To bad the only place yo get them is from GCM in Canada. The shipping price adds up quick.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged86 View Post
I personally was kinda disappointed with the inside machine work on the VP wraith housing.
Inside machine work? You sir are more of a stickler for "scale" details than I. I'm basing my opinion on performance (which excludes what the innards look like because I drive them with the pumpkins buttoned up tight).

Scale on.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

^^LOL, I've been drooling over the Curries since before I even owned a Wraith. I'm just a sucker for nicely machined things. Maybe next year.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtinner View Post

Wow, I like those, minimal parts and lots of room! Hope the axle tube wall thickness is better than VP....VP seem to strip out the chub and truss mount screws all the time. I may try the GCMs next!

I'd go with the GCM Wraith A-13 MetalHead Axles.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-18-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Alright... I'll weigh in. I've demolished the standard VP housings. I've even managed to sack a GCM housing. So, if it's Non-currie vs GCM, GCM wins hands down. If you go GCM, VP cHubs and knuckles. PERIOD. Now, as for the curries. The tolerances are MUCH better. They are much lighter than the GCM housings. If you want scale and light bashing, go VP. If you want simple and INSANELY durable, go GCM. Anyone that has seen Fiona 'bash' can attest to the sheer abuse I have put the old girl through.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382158240.936446.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  98.8 KB
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

So what about the Curries cephas? Did you torture test them by chance? Awesome rig BTW!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default Want new axles .....GCM or vanquish?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
So what about the Curries cephas? Did you torture test them by chance? Awesome rig BTW!
I have not. I'd be afraid to put a set on Fiona. She is a mean and nasty tempered Irish girl. Whether or not they'd hold up is a question that my pocket book can't afford right now. I'm sinking every extra dime I have into The Scale Addict web store.

I'll sum it up like this. VP DOES NOT make garbage... GCM makes burly arse axle housings that can stand up to some VERY serious punishment.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
I have not. I'd be afraid to put a set on Fiona. She is a mean and nasty tempered Irish girl. Whether or not they'd hold up is a question that my pocket book can't afford right now. I'm sinking every extra dime I have into The Scale Addict web store.

I'll sum it up like this. VP DOES NOT make garbage... GCM makes burly arse axle housings that can stand up to some VERY serious punishment.
LOL, understood, and thanks for the answer. Oh well, I have plenty of time to decide, I'm pretty much done with the Wraith for like, at least a week.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
Inside machine work? You sir are more of a stickler for "scale" details than I. I'm basing my opinion on performance (which excludes what the innards look like because I drive them with the pumpkins buttoned up tight).

Scale on.

J
No I mean like machine work as the tolerances and the slop I had in the diff housing. I could move my lockers side to side and up and down even with the bearing caps tightened all the way down. I would not care how scale something is if it's not even seen.
bagged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged86 View Post
No I mean like machine work as the tolerances and the slop I had in the diff housing. I could move my lockers side to side and up and down even with the bearing caps tightened all the way down. I would not care how scale something is if it's not even seen.
Heatshrink around the external casing corrects that.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
Heatshrink around the external casing corrects that.
WHAT? Heatshrink, to fix a $300 set of axles? I'd be highly aggravated if I had to do that personally.

Want new axles .....GCM or vanquish????? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP Currie axles or GCM Metalhead axles for scx10 Swamp Dowg Axial SCX-10 8 03-31-2013 11:03 AM
Gcm axles demonoid369 General Scale Talk 5 07-09-2012 02:49 PM