Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: dual 12t brushed motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default dual 12t brushed motors?

was just reading a thread about some rc supercar that runs dual brushless motors and the guy explained that useing 2 smaller motors allowed better speed then the bigger motor because the 2 motors could handle higher gearing ratios. the 2 motors were also cheaper then 1 bigger motor that could output close to that power.

it got me thinking. I got a ridgecrest that's not being used. and I'm asking here because alot of the parts are the same and wraith guys know more about getting speeds and gearing and the like.

anyways I'm not looking to go super fast but it seamed like it might be a fairly cheap way to hit some higher speeds. lookin for maybe 20-30mph. plan on slowly converting this into more of a wraith type rig as time and money allow.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: dual 12t brushed motors?

Getting two brushless motors to work in sync is a lot easier than getting two brushed in sync.....typically the problem with trying to run two brushed like that, is one pretty much always has more power than the other, so often its pulling the other along at higher speeds.

Now if its just gonna be lower speeds mostly, problem is less, but in most cases the one of the motors end up being mounted really high in the chassis.....tends to make handling not so good.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well the higher weight is ok, the plan was just mostly just general bashing. something to give the kids to play with so they don't bust up my scaler. make it fast enough to be fun to them even though the scaler looks cooler (though 3 of the 8 kids couldn't tell the front of the dingo from the back lol) but the motors fighting each other does make this sound abit harder to do. I may have to look into something else.

hell it might only take a decent brushed motor. I've only played with the cheap disposable stuff to this point. I know the better ones have better speed and torque even if they are the same turn. a decent motor might get me the speed I wand with out overheating from gearing issues.

if not I can prolly find a fairly cheap 2-3s brushless system that I can get the speed I want out of. I mean for now I'm lookin for speeds close to my mini summit on 2s training mode. this thing will rarely go slower then full speed. atleast not for a while. the trigger is an on off switch to all the kids but one.

if the cost to get it going faster gets up into the 200 range I may just forget about it and maybe try and get my budy to get me a mini revo at cost, or call in a favor or sumin.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 10-14-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This idea is a waste of money. Dont do it. Even if you got a it to go 30mph, it wouldnt stay on its wheels. I have a dual motor emaxx that had the original dual 21t titans. Replaced it with a 4 pole hobbywing and it has way more power than original motors. Dual brushed is not the way to go.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If you're bored, do it. Report back and let us know how it turned out. It's all part of the hobby.....am I right or am I right?
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Here is one if you want to try it...

Axial Wraith | Dual Motor Mount | RC Scale Truck Parts Store! [WR-04 DMM] - $16.50

rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I didnt mean any disrespect. I am sure everyone has pondered dual motors, but dual brushed motors have less power than one decent brushless motor. Not only that, if its for kids, i assume he is talking about a 12t titan which will burn up within 1 pack. This idea is one that should stay just that. An idea. I would consider myself to be a bad person if i didnt advise against it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking the 12t holmes hobby motor for the twin hammers. think they run 30some bucks. I'm not looking to waste money, it was just an idea to make a cheap basher out of what was laying around not being used. figure 2 motors and the mount would be less then 100 bucks and give the kids something a little faster to play with.

the one motor being more powerful then the other has me worried, then not only will it be fighting the gearing it will be fighting the other motor?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

For not much more than $100 you can get a decent brushless setup.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

would one of the cheaper brushless setups be able to hit the speed I'm looking for with out over heating?

TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder SCT System 3800kV

that one is only 120, and there are cheaper ones down to 60 from random RC shops.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravebane525 View Post
would one of the cheaper brushless setups be able to hit the speed I'm looking for with out over heating?

TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations SV3 Sidewinder SCT System 3800kV

that one is only 120, and there are cheaper ones down to 60 from random RC shops.
I'm not sure on the speed part, but you should be able to control temps with proper gearing. 20-30mph for something that was made to crawl is asking a lot if you're trying to do it cheaply IMHO. I know you said this would be a bash rig, but that is a sensorless setup, so crawling with it would most likely suck.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

You should look in the classifieds for an sc10. I got my 11 year old nephew one, put a brushless in it on 2s and it hasnt broken yet. Even if you got it to go even 20mph, it would roll immediately. Its just not a good basher for kids. Sell/trade for a different vehicle. It really wont do what you want it to.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

not really looking to crawl with it anymore, it was gutted for parts to build my scx-10 that I comp and run trails with and have a blast. the ridgecrest is just sitting there in parts even though I now have the parts to reassemble it again just because I have little to no interest in driving it. I have the mini summit for speed and the scx-10 for crawling. I figured if I could get it up to speed with the mini summit on training mode then 2 kids can drive at once. they get bored with the scx-10 cause its so slow and I don't want them stepping on it or crashing into something and breaking it when I got a comp the next day or next weekend.

I know I'm asking alot, I may just have to say screw it and give up on the idea. like I said the idea came to me when someone was explaining how his 2 brushless motors helped him have higher gearing and get higher speeds then a single bigger motor would have. if dual brushed motors won't work I doubt I'll be able to do it with a single cheap brushless setup either because of the gearing.

as for rolling and flipping. they do that constantly with the mini summit even on training mode. I figured with the wider wheelbase the ridgecrest couldn't be much worse. most of the driving is done on gravel which tends to be abit more forgiving as it shifts and slides where other stuff grabs and flips.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 10-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.

dual 12t brushed motors? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak Goat 3s support dual brushed motors? whipnet Electronics 16 12-02-2010 01:19 PM
Tekin RS Pro and Dual Brushed Motors gewaun Electronics 2 10-16-2010 10:34 PM