Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Setup of stock Wraith wheels tires and foam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Setup of stock Wraith wheels tires and foam

Look to set up my stock Wraith wheels. I am using the stock wheels, tires and foam for now. These will be glued and I want to get the best all around performance with this setup. There has got to be a happy medium for this so I am thinking a slight star pattern of 8 points on the foam will be ok.

I am learning to crawl and just drive around. My Wraith is set up with the following power train.

Holmes 13t Crawlmaster Pro & BRXL ESC
Castle BEC Pro
Geared 32p 56/12
HiTec 7950
Turnigy 2200 mA 3S 45~90C LiPo

My Questions:

Will an 8 point star on the stock foam be ok for light crawling and driving around?

Will this be to soft of a wheel configuration on the stock setup?

Thanks
2Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Setup of stock Wraith wheels tires and foam

Tire compound is just as important as your foams. If you are running the stock RTR tires, I would recommend that you purchase the R35 whitedot tires and use them with the stock foams if you dont want to buy other foams.

I am running R35 ripsaws with stock foams on VERY vented wheels and I like it. Not perfect, wish I had money for real tires and foams.....but I dont.

SOrry I couldnt answer your question about cutting foam, just keep in mind, you're limiting yourself with a good compound tire.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the weight of the rig has a lot to do with the foam set up also...
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
Tire compound is just as important as your foams. If you are running the stock RTR tires, I would recommend that you purchase the R35 whitedot tires and use them with the stock foams if you dont want to buy other foams.

I am running R35 ripsaws with stock foams on VERY vented wheels and I like it. Not perfect, wish I had money for real tires and foams.....but I dont.

SOrry I couldnt answer your question about cutting foam, just keep in mind, you're limiting yourself with a good compound tire.

I have the Axial Wraith kit and it comes with the

Quote:
2.2 RIPSAW TIRES R35 COMPOUND
The aggressive tread design, impressive ground clearance, and R35 compound offer a realistic look for the image-conscious scale crawler who is also looking to improve their performance game.

- Realistic and aggressive tread design for the ultimate scale appearance and performance
- 5.5" (140mm) tall for extreme ground clearance
- Molded ribbing between the lugs help keep mud and snow from packing into the tire tread
- Recessed lugs for additional traction
- "R35" sticky rubber compound (white dot)
Nice tire btw

I am also running the stock wheel. I am looking at getting the Hot Racing multi-width hex adapters fit kit to widen the front so I can run the RcBbros knuckle weights.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
the weight of the rig has a lot to do with the foam set up also...
So how will I know? Do I need to come in at a certain vehicle weight or deflection in the tire?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Don't make the foams softer than they already are. They need more sidewall support than stock.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Don't make the foams softer than they already are. They need more sidewall support than stock.
Ok so that is what a soft foam is like.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I did a gear pattern cut on my foams for my super swampers. I dont have any issues with it and it grips very well on my climbs. I am considering some uncut double deuce foams from Crawler Innovations to use in place of the ProLine foams.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
I did a gear pattern cut on my foams for my super swampers. I dont have any issues with it and it grips very well on my climbs. I am considering some uncut double deuce foams from Crawler Innovations to use in place of the ProLine foams.
I agree with the CI foams...they are very nice

The heavier the rig the stiffer the foams...you got to play with it a bit, there is no cut and dried recommendation
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
RCC Addict

There is a few write-ups in the tires/wheels thread at the top of the forums page. In theses you will find tire/foam set ups from people who test against stock setups and tell you what they think. I suggest you look a r them before you decide to throw away your money.

Remember, don't buy something simply because a few people say, "I use them and the are fantastic!".....compared to what!?!?
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The R35 Ripsaws are TONS better than the RTR. A buddy and I went head to head. So thast's a first hand opinion right there.
Cutting them, every other nub or so, makes a huge difference. Shaved them too. On both the R35 and RTR.
My buddy cut his foams. Helped a bit. We strickly crawl. The slower the better. I have found soft and heavy allows me to climb almost anything.

I am now running Sedonas with Crawler Innovations foams on XR10 wheels, weighted to the gills.

Last edited by Bansh88; 10-31-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Setup of stock Wraith wheels tires and foam - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith stock tires inlclude foam? Madkiki Newbie General 2 09-01-2012 05:12 PM
Stock tires, foam or no foam... warfish Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 04-15-2011 12:33 PM
do i trim the memory foam like i did the reg foam with the stock tires? bmuenter Tires and Wheels 8 08-15-2008 08:59 PM