Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: what motor??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default what motor??

Im lookin for a good motor to replace my stock 20t with dont want to spend alot but want more power and wheel speed.
mikelshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: what motor??

Your one stop motor shop:http://holmeshobbies.com/Brushed-Motors/

27 turn TorqueMaster Expert 540 would be a good choice: http://holmeshobbies.com/TorqueMaster-Expert-540.html

Great motor for a good price, or you could go cheap and buy another can motor.

Last edited by Norton; 11-06-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i did a holmes hobby torquemaster sport 540, 34.00 and I am very pleased with it.

Holmes Hobbies LLC
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Uhhh.....

Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ok thanx guys I ended up ordering 2 dynamite 20t brushed motors they were cheap and didnt see any point in spendin alot on em since they are gonna go bad anyways

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

You would have been much better off buying a Holmes motor. Lots more power and would last a lot longer.
Drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Hard to beat the HH line of 35 dollar motors on a budget..Can make it any turn you want in the future for 20 dollars plus shipping for a replacement armature in the turn you want.

But the motors you have will be good if you plan to play in muddy or sandy conditions..when it goes it goes and you throw it away but not near the power/speed of the HH motor.

Don't regret it just learn from it.

It is true they all quit after sometime but a rebuildable is good for 5 to 7 rebuilds and sometimes more before you have to invest 20 dollars for a new armature....so its really a lot cheaper in the long run to go rebuildable and youll get the added power and speed from it as well.

Invest in a decent lathe to take care of your armature..A very good investment should you use brushed motors

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok man ive never really had to fool with the motors on rc cars I isually dont have them long so all the advice is a big help

Old 11-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The motors are pretty simple to maintain and rebuild...you need to know some key information but its not rocket science.

Its actually kindof fun.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
20K Club

They wouldn't go bad if you read the stickies at the top of the forum. Not reading is just costing you money.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Yea I need to build me a lil spot in the garage for all my rc stuff

Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

HH motors are the way to go. All brushes are NOT created equal. The Holmes crew knows how to make a good long lasting HIGH POWA! motor
The budget motors are just as good. But the experts are just awesome!
SlomoCrawlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Alright, I have a fully custom wraith (No I can't put pictures up) but the motor/ esc i am running is the Tekin rs brushless ESC with a Gens 2 10.5t Red-line motor. Then I have a Venom 5000 mah 50c 3s lipo with a 611 oz. servo (Hitec 7980th). This thing is insane powerful, it is not made for rock crawling; but its more of a basher for me I have enough rock crawlers the wraith is designed for both fast or slow. But with this kind of power that I have, Some Robinson solid steel gears are needed, and a 16 tooth pinion. I don't have over-heating issues on this set-up at all. But I have a "much-more racing" fan over the ESC itself, I just zip-tied it over and plug it into my receiver. I will warn you that this kind of set-up can break other things like knuckles, c-hubs (I switch to VP stage 1 upgrades: c-hubs, etc.) If you are looking into fast/powerful do what I did and go with a system like this but if you want to go slow/ rock crawler type then go with a tekin fx-r 35t system. I see that everyone is talking about brushed motors so I will just shutup about my brushless wraith but Tekin motors is what I use most of the time, hope this helped, - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yea I had a brushless motor in my other one but all I did was break stuff all the time so I got rid of it

Old 12-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Ok so I tore my wraith apart tonight and behold my wraith didnt have a stock motor it has a team integy motor guessin ots a 45t since it says 45x1 on it. Now the question is if these motors are any good? Pretty sure this motor is cooked tho it has black soot on it and doeant turn very free not sure if thats good or bad since ive never done a motor change. But here is some pics let me know what you guys think about this motor ( good, bad, junk, ect)

Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Its better than the non rebuild motor...Not as good as a holmes hobbies but definitely a useable motor.

A 45t will be pretty slow however...you can buy a new armature in a 27 or 35t from homes hobbies and put new brushes in it and have basicly a brand new motor...that's probably just over 30 dollars shipped..if you need bearings also its basicly the cost of a new motor...However..once you rebuild it the cost will be less and most likely you will just have to replace brushes until the comm needs to be serviced.

Id still go for the holmes hobbies motor for 35 dollars though

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-01-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Ok well thats the bad motor new ones should be here tomorrow and the I couldnt find anything but a 13t holmes motor and my esc can only go as low as 19t well thats what I have read so I figured goin from this 45t to the 20t I ordered is gonna make a pretty good difference in speed anyways. And the motors I order said they are dual brushed no clue what that means can someone explain this to me im english not rc lingo lol

Old 12-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Dual brushed either means it uses 2 brushes which most do anyway or they may mean 2 smaller separate brushes per side....which honestly means nothing.

20T will definitely give you a lot more speed but its not a very good choice if you plan to try and climb rocks with it...not very strong torque wise even compared to a 27t non rebuildable motor.

You've already made the investment so just put on one and see how you like it..If you want more power you know what to look for now.

I don't know what the stock gearing is on a wraith but you can always gear it so you lose some speed and gain some torque.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-01-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelshrum View Post
Ok well thats the bad motor new ones should be here tomorrow and the I couldnt find anything but a 13t holmes motor and my esc can only go as low as 19t well thats what I have read so I figured goin from this 45t to the 20t I ordered is gonna make a pretty good difference in speed anyways. And the motors I order said they are dual brushed no clue what that means can someone explain this to me im english not rc lingo lol

You really need to read the motor thread. It explains in there that the Holmes 13t Crawlmaster is a 5 slot motor which has the equivalant resistance to a standard 27t motor and is absolutely fine to run on almost any ESC.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Oh ok and I have other gears so if it doesnt have the tourqe I can change it to gain some back and thanx fpr the help guys

Tags
wraith