Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: About to start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Default About to start

Hi All

I'm about to start my Wraith build (kit) and was wondering if there is anything I should look out for while following the instructions (apart from the obvious stuff - thread lock etc).

Is there anything not right in them that I should know about?

Many Thanks
Rob
Robny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: About to start

I remember a few things....

- They use course screws and not fine thread machine screws....
- Add machine screws where you can...the cage will be fine with stock screws. I change out the Knuckle to C-Hub screws, transmission to skidplate, axle to C-hub and axle to rear lockout screws.
- Stock servo horn will not last, get an aluminum one.
- Dont forget to locktite the 3 screws that hold the transmission output shaft together....they are notorious for "spontaneous 2 wheel drive".
- WATCH THE DIFF INSTALL - make sure you put the differential gears in correctly or the wheels will not spin the right direction or in opposite directions

CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!!!!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Search Youtube or the sticky up here. FastEddy has some great vids about how to build. There are some differences on part numbers in the manual and what you find in the box. He has them covered there. For instance on the shocks and tranny. Hope you have more luck with those shocks than I had. Replaced them with Bigbores before I finnished the build.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Vaya con Dios amigo!
MexicanMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The kit comes with 6mm course thread screws for the rear axle bearing carrier and the front c hubs. I used some 8mm ones that I shaved down just a hair. They don't rub the axle and hold the plastic better.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #6

Thanks for tips and encouragement guys

I spent a couple of hours on it this evening, minus the time spent during a black out (weather), I have already discovered a few...lets say nuances with the directions but have been able to work through them. I've already go an aluminium horn lined up ready to go on with a locking bolt also. I've managed to get both axles completed and ONE shock, oh my the shock!!! Im not new to building shocks but these...Sheeesh. I'll probably end up doing the same as Odd-M and switching them out for some big bore aluminium hobbies, They constantly seem to pop off the bottom cap under compression so i think they will get changed, will have a go at rebuilding it with a softer setting using the other 'doo-dars', maybe less pressure in the shock that way and less like likely to pop off.

With that being said, i am most impressed with the quality of the plastic parts (ignore shocks) and the fit in general, compared to when i built my savage a few years back. I'm looking forward to this and can't wait to rip up the neighbourhood with it Sure my wife thinks I'm nuts but hay, what can ya do.

Rob
Robny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Beginning of the end right there. Atleast you'll know how to rebuild it once it breaks it helps out a lot when doing repairs to know exactly what you broke just by looking at it and knowing the easiest way to tear it down is. I have torn down my cars countless times and when I first got them way more than I should have just because I bought rtr and didn't know all the tricks to getting a simple part. Also if you plan on brushless the stock driveshafts have gotta go.
Tgates is offline   Reply With Quote

About to start - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to start spaniel57 Large Scale Rigs 7 04-20-2012 06:54 PM
where do i start? tbeaton Newbie General 10 03-20-2010 11:17 PM
where to start? da94broncodude Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 09-18-2008 12:53 PM
Where to start Project Dad Newbie General 13 04-02-2007 05:18 AM