Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Cage Chop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Cage Chop

So I got bored and started thinking about things I could do to my wraith on the cheap. I did the fastback mod a year ago, discovered how simple the wraith chassis is to work with, and figured I'd get aggro with some side cutters, dremel, torch etc. I watch a lot of madram11 vids on youtube and I love the stripped down, purpose built look of those rock bouncers so that's my end goal with this chop. I'm primarily using alum. and styrene tubing and some rod ends and have tried my best to rework the existing cage pieces so I wont have to have a million tie-in points. Here's where I'm at so far with a couple mock up photos:
Attached Images

RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Cage Chop

I've never understood where everyone puts their electronics in these setups lol
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Haha, it'll be tight. Im going to do my best to squeeze it in up front. Between the battery and room for the servo at full tuck it'll be a bit of a cluster-f but I think it's doable. I have a tekin fxr and the rtr rx so that helps, being that they are pretty small.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

You must be more skilled than I! I have my RX and batt up front along with LED controllers, but had to put my ESC in the back in the front of the battery tray. Though the BRXL isn't "slim". Good looking cage though! Now you just gotta find a way to fit a good body on it, maybe like a single cab truck? Would look cool just being a cab lol
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Made some elbow joints for tie-ins. Notched alum. tube and folded it. Sealed up the seams with jb weld. (Tried to rotate the picture to no avail)
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Couple mock up pics of the front end. Using some excess cage pieces to protect the battery and electronics.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Man that looks good! I love your creativity! I did a little cutting on mine to give it a little bit of the rock bouncer look.

wildmanMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Looks great man! I was originally going for something along the lines of what you did but then the more I started cutting, the less afraid I was to keep going haha! I still have a lot to do and quite a few things to figure out but I think the end result will be something pretty original. Scratch that, something practical. Im sure someone's done this before at some point haha.

Last edited by RMack; 02-25-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

I really like how the back looks now, hope you don't mind if I try something similar
Dparker818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

No, I dont mind at all. And thanks.

***UPDATE***

Realized I've been doing it all wrong and feel stupid that I didnt figure this out sooner

Gona just make links with rod ends. Way simpler. Here's a general idea of what Im gona do just using some aluminum for now as a mock up. Had I thought of this a few days ago when I started tinkering, Id be done already...

For the real links I'll just use stainless tube and threaded rod. Gota make upper control arms any way so I I have an excuse to get the materials.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #11

does this change up any of the shock geometry at all? also have you thought about putting a brace between the shock tower to keep it all together?
Dparker818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks. Im definitely going to brace the shock tower, just didn't have anything in the pic. All the geometry stays the same as well.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Here's a bit of an update on my cage chopping spree...

Up to this point I think most of what I've done has been OK but not the greatest. However, i have reworked the rear and the whole front end has been changed. I think it's starting to look much more like a rock bouncer and the structural integrity of the tube chassis will still be retained. Keep in mind, this is still a work in progress but through trial and lots of error, it is starting to get there. Next venture will be building a custom electronics box from styrene sheets. I have in my possession: Team Brood 35t Apocalypse HHK, RRP steel trans gears, MIP driveshafts, and Underdrive ring and pinion gears for the rear diff.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #14

What size links did you use on the rear tk where the shocks mount?
Ryan1459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cage, chop, cut, mod, wraith

Cage Chop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RTR rear cage chop slash 127 Axial Wraith 24 07-04-2013 12:17 PM
"Rap Chop" featuring Vince from ShamWOW (Slap Chop remix) wrx-n-ktm Chit Chat 5 04-29-2009 08:40 AM