Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hot racing steel gear set HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hot racing steel gear set HELP!

I have an Axial wraith
If I where to buy this hot racing steel gear set 52t 28t 20t
Hot Racing Axial Wraith Lightweight Steel Gear Set SSCP1000X | eBay

What would be the motor i would need to match it? and is it for crawling or speed? Desperately trying to find a motor and gear setup solution!
I want to crawl and not stress out my motor
most people say 84t 16t for crawling with stock motor but what about the 3rd gear in there?
Thanks for your help!
ChronicCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Hot racing steel gear set HELP!

Those are for inside the transmission to replace stock gear set. You are thinking about spur gear and motor pinion
460bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

The gear ratio chart on the Robinson Racing site is helpful. Stock wraith spur and pinion gears equate to roughly 4:1if im not mistaken. You're going to want to find a spur/pinion combination that equals anywhere from 5:1 to 6:1 if you're wanting to crawl. The transmission gears you ordered are just a strength upgrade. They dont really have much to do with motor speeds, torque, gear ratios blah blah blah
RMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

84t/16t is fine for crawling. I run 87t/20t with a Tekin T35HD for my crawler Wraith.
DinehCaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have the stock 80 20 in mine with a 35 t and love it .I have the 32 pitch set from ckrc that match the stock ratio ill be putting in when the stock ones go south,It crawls great and has pretty good wheel speed .
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinehCaveman View Post
84t/16t is fine for crawling. I run 87t/20t with a Tekin T35HD for my crawler Wraith.
can you use the tekin t35hd motor with the stock ESC, or do you need a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurster View Post
I have the stock 80 20 in mine with a 35 t and love it .I have the 32 pitch set from **** that match the stock ratio ill be putting in when the stock ones go south,It crawls great and has pretty good wheel speed .
could you post a link to the 32 pitch set you are referring to?
do you need a new esc when putting in the 35t motor?

Last edited by THX_138; 04-28-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

No you will not need a new esc to run the 35 turn. I would suggest adding a bec though
haynesn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yes you need a BEC!
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
Yes you need a BEC!
okay. what is a BEC ?

so if i buy this 35t motor
Tekin 35T Pro Hand Wound Rock Crawler Motor TT2122 | eBay
and this 87t spur
Axial AX30672 SCX10 AX10 Wraith Spur Gear 48DP 87T | eBay
with stock 20T pinion

will I be good to go at that point?
thanks for all your help
Old 03-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=ChronicCrawler;4722935]okay. what is a BEC ?

B.E.C= Battery Eliminator Circuitry

Castle creations 10amp costs about $20-25. Your lhs should have them in stock or just about any of the hobby sites if you order online.
scrounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=scrounge;4723477]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicCrawler View Post
okay. what is a BEC ?

B.E.C= Battery Eliminator Circuitry

Castle creations 10amp costs about $20-25. Your lhs should have them in stock or just about any of the hobby sites if you order online.
my problem would be installing it

it looks like I got the gears on there way to me , but I haven't even thought about installing them. I have never taking anything apart ha ha
0 exp.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #12

Smile Re: Hot racing steel gear set HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
Yes you need a BEC!
Hey Guys!!!

I am not trying to hi jack this thread, just learn a little.

I have purchased a Wraith for my 9 year old, and he has already stripped out the stock plastic spur gear in less than a day and a half

No worries, i guess it is the name of the game.....

So while i was at my local hobbie shop picking up 2 new spur gears in case it happens again, they also told me the stock wraith motor is the weak link, so i also purchased another stock 21 wound motor to replace the original one when it takes a crap.

Tonight he brought the Wraith in saying the motor was smoking , it was so hot to the touch it almost burned my finger, so i would say it is on its way out.

So i have been looking into buying a up graded motor for his Wraith after the new stock one i already purchased burns down...

I see that a new BEC is recommended with a up graded motor. After doing some research is see the BEC is mostly used in R/C airplanes in-case the battery voltage drops enough to kill the motor, but you still have enough juice to navigate the plane and land it safely.

So my question is why the BEC in a crawler, is it like a safety device to keep from burning the motor down in low voltage???

Another question i have i see there is 21 turn motor which his is stock, then the # grows from there, is the higher the # a slower or faster turning motor. When i up grade his stock motor, he is not so much into going slow and crawling in our dried up creek bed next to our house as he is into going fast and tearing it up...

Sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to learn what i can about his new toy so i make the correct decisions on the up grades.

Rick

Last edited by maddogs1965; 03-26-2014 at 08:04 PM.
maddogs1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I am running the teken 35t pro and 54 /14 32 p gears and love it with the stock esc and CC bec
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogs1965 View Post
Hey Guys!!!

I am not trying to hi jack this thread, just learn a little.

I have purchased a Wraith for my 9 year old, and he has already stripped out the stock plastic spur gear in less than a day and a half

No worries, i guess it is the name of the game.....

So while i was at my local hobbie shop picking up 2 new spur gears in case it happens again, they also told me the stock wraith motor is the weak link, so i also purchased another stock 21 wound motor to replace the original one when it takes a crap.

Tonight he brought the Wraith in saying the motor was smoking , it was so hot to the touch it almost burned my finger, so i would say it is on its way out.
How well is you slipper clutch adjusted? They are a little finiky on the wraith but help keep the motor from getting bound up which shoots the temp through the roof. Some people run without slipper clutches or a very tight setting but are cautious about throttle control when the tires get bound up. Dropping the pinion a few teeth will also help motor temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogs1965 View Post
So i have been looking into buying a up graded motor for his Wraith after the new stock one i already purchased burns down...

I see that a new BEC is recommended with a up graded motor. After doing some research is see the BEC is mostly used in R/C airplanes in-case the battery voltage drops enough to kill the motor, but you still have enough juice to navigate the plane and land it safely.

So my question is why the BEC in a crawler, is it like a safety device to keep from burning the motor down in low voltage???

Another question i have i see there is 21 turn motor which his is stock, then the # grows from there, is the higher the # a slower or faster turning motor. When i up grade his stock motor, he is not so much into going slow and crawling in our dried up creek bed next to our house as he is into going fast and tearing it up...

Sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to learn what i can about his new toy so i make the correct decisions on the up grades.

Rick
The general rule is the higher the turn, the slower/more torque. There are a few exceptions to the rule such as the holmes hobbies 13T, or it can vary depending on the quality of the motor. I would suggest reading this thread.

Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

If your son is interested in going fast, I would suggest at least skimming through Harley's budget build thread. He does a pretty good job of showing the common weak points of the wraith such as gears, links and dogbones.

The ESC serves two purposes. One is to send power to the motor and the second is to send power to the receiver and servo. When the amp draw from the servo is too high it can cause the esc to loose function or kill the esc. These problems are more common with larger or multiple power hungry servos. In this application the BEC supplies power to the receiver and servo bypassing the esc which allows the esc to not need to work as hard. Also the BEC can be set to supply more volts to the servo whereas the the esc has a fixed setting. There are a few different ways to wire a BEC but this is the most basic explanation.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Use a BEC.
J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

If you have a wraith you Must have a BEC
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurster View Post
I am running the teken 35t pro and 54 /14 32 p gears and love it with the stock esc and CC bec
Is that motor for speed or crawling? few people suggested it...
whats a good price for that motor?
Old 03-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicCrawler View Post
Is that motor for speed or crawling? few people suggested it...
whats a good price for that motor?
$50

35T is right in the middle of the road for speed, 55T is slow 10T is fast. stock 20T has zero torque, the tekin has torque. with his gearing 54/14=3.157:1 ratio is geared for speed. his setup is probably similar to stock speed but with some torque, slower motor, faster gearing.

To figure out your gearing ratio take your spur÷pinion=ratio (stock 80/20=4:1) so the pinion will rotate 4 times and the spur will rotate 1 time.

Last edited by WAFFLE; 03-27-2014 at 05:36 PM.
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFFLE View Post

$50

35T is right in the middle of the road for speed, 55T is slow 10T is fast. stock 20T has zero torque, the tekin has torque. with his gearing 54/14=3.157:1 ratio is geared for speed. his setup is probably similar to stock speed but with some torque, slower motor, faster gearing.

To figure out your gearing ratio take your spur÷pinion=ratio (stock 80/20=4:1) so the spur gear will spin 4 times and the wheels on the truck only spin 1 time, 4:1.
That is incorrect...the pinion spins 4 turns to every 1 turn of the spur....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Im way ahead of you
WAFFLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Hot racing steel gear set HELP! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Aluminium Tranny Gear and OD/UD gear Colgout Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 10-01-2012 04:57 PM
Hot Racing hardened gear set issues... Charlie-III Axial XR10 20 09-15-2012 08:44 AM