Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Chassis mounted servo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default Chassis mounted servo question

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but, is there a purpose to mounting the servo off axel other than asthetics (scale realism)? Looks like you lose one link too (if I uderstood the instalation instructions correctly), is there a performance penalty (or gain) from this?
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It's never a stupid question if you don't know the answer.

So the answer is... It is for scale looks.

I run a CMS, Chassis Mounted Servo, on my Wraith. I like it! Some people don't. If you do a CMS, you should do a Panhard kit as well. The purpose of the panhard kit is to stop the body roll that you get when the servo is mounted to the chassis. When you do both, you have to remove one of your upper links to make it all work right. But, the panhard link replaces the link you just took out, just in a different way.

In my opinion, I haven't lost any of my travel switching to the CMS.
On the other hand, I don't believe it is any better than the axle mounted servo.

In this matter, it's your rig. You decide whether it matters to you if it looks scale or not.

I hope this helps. Again, others may have a different opinion. Listen to them all and make up your own mind. :-)
Hwheeler73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Chassis mounted servo question

Thanks man. Yeah, I am interested if others echo your sentiments. I happen to think it looks cool as long as there is no performance penalty, I'm in. Well, it probably isn't anywhere on the top of my "upgrade" list, but I do like the way it looks.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have a VP CMS and panhard kit, I love the look, and don't see any less flex from it, if set up properly, the steering and panhard bar need to run parallel with each other to work right, I see there are a few new brands making them now.
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have the VP CMS and panhard on one Wraith but plan to go back to stock. It is purely for looks. I am building a speed wraith and want my stability back. 4 links up front is the best option for most stability. I think the servo gets stressed slightly more with a CMS/Panhard kit.

Just my opinion and I don't claim to be an expert.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Okay, Savox SA1230SG ,or SA1231SG? Looks to be the same price but one with a little more torque. No brainer to go with the SA1230SG?

Last edited by IPT; 04-10-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That servo looks taller than a standard servo? Maybe it is me reading specs. :P

Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x45.0

My Hitec HS-7954SH measures : 39.88 x 19.81 x 36.83

Last edited by ZippoMan; 04-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Huh, I'll have to do some research. I thought some folks had used this model on the wraith. Since my Kit is still on back order I can't look to see if it would still fit. Anyone know?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Huh, I'll have to do some research. I thought some folks had used this model on the wraith. Since my Kit is still on back order I can't look to see if it would still fit. Anyone know?
Go ahead and get it; make sure to buy a Castle Creations BEC and install it before even powering up the Savox. I love their servos to death, but they can be very power hungry and noisy.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
Go ahead and get it; make sure to buy a Castle Creations BEC and install it before even powering up the Savox. I love their servos to death, but they can be very power hungry and noisy.
Got a BEC on the way. No worries about mounting it (size wise) if I want to do the chassis or axel mount?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A longer servo can fit with some minor trimming. As others have mentioned, its purely for aesthetics and a few scale points in competition. But does look badass I agree. Yes, a top link needs to be removed and a panhard bar added. The panhard bar serves to stop the axle from moving laterally under the chassis since the 4th link was removed. The 3link up front needs to be used to stop any binding that would happen if one was to use 4links up front and a panhard bar. Panhard and drag link need to be as parallel as possible.

Its not a stupid question, its just been beaten to death a few times over. Searching helps...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Got a BEC on the way. No worries about mounting it (size wise) if I want to do the chassis or axel mount?
It shouldn't be an issue with the size with either way you go.

If you install it onto the axle, your upper links may hit the very back end of the servo, but it shouldn't cause any issues with performance.

Same goes for a CMS kit, except the servo wont be touching anything. You'll just have to do more link and shock adjusting to make the panhard link and draglink to be parallel for zero bumpsteer.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I run the 2270 hv servo and love it and it is not noisy at all at 6 v and has all the power you will ever need
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote

Chassis mounted servo question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chassis mounted servo??? mikespeed6 Axial Wraith 2 10-04-2013 07:14 AM
VP Chassis Mounted Servo Question KustomKreeper8606 Axial Wraith 5 03-11-2013 06:07 PM
Frame mounted servo question. arctichorse 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 11-26-2012 07:37 PM
chassis mounted servo twilight Axial SCX-10 3 07-17-2009 10:21 PM
Chassis mounted servo question... Stallion1967 General Scale Talk 2 06-29-2007 08:27 PM