Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: How to remove the interferences which limit the steering ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How to remove the interferences which limit the steering ?

Recently I bought a Wraith and I want to use it as massive and fast crawler.
It has front universal join but the steering is not enough and needs to be improved.
I would like your comments and advises on the following considerations. Sorry, no picture, at least at the moment, I hope my description will be clear enough.

For low speed good steering capability an almost zero ackermann is desirable. I have the Integy alloy knuckle and they are almost zero ackermann, so they should be fine. Obviously there are drawbacks ! I have wheel interferences with the drag link rod end which limits the steering. The only way to get rid of it is to increase the distance between the wheel and the knuckle arm. The easy way is to choose wheels with a different offset but they will likely increase the width too, and it is not desirable because the Wraith is already too much wide. So I'm interested in wheels with the same offset of the original ones (those of the Xr10 or the Poison spider) but a bit narrower, so the interior would be few millimeters away from the knuckle arm. What wheels do you suggests with these requisites ?

I think the Axial universal joint can allow working angles of about 50 degrees. The rod ends on the drag link are about 9mm wide and they touch on the axle at about 45 degrees, so there is another interference here that limits the steering.
I noticed some people use custom drag links without rod ends cutting a flat sheet of metal in a \__/ shape and drilling two holes at the extremes. Don't know if it worths the effort. Can you link some implementation examples ? Any other ideas or suggestions for having great angles ?

Thanks
Filippo

Last edited by setecastronomy; 06-24-2014 at 01:51 AM.
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: How to remove the interferences which limit the steering ?

Check out dlux wheels you piece them together and can get full negative offset.
Dlux Fab
Tgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgates View Post
Check out dlux wheels you piece them together and can get full negative offset.
Dlux Fab
Those are nice, I like the Motoworx SLW wheels, good width, variable offset hubs, true beadlocks, high quality : » Product Categories » 2.2 Scale RC Wheels Archive - Motoworx Racing

I'm currently running XR10 beadlocks that I narrowed, Vanquish Products chubs and knuckles with VP ti linkage, Axial Universals and I get so much steering that my Ripsaws rub the lower links slightly at full lock.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

First of all the photos:

If you look carefully you can see that the knuckle arm is few mm from the axle and it cannot go closer because the rod end touches.

The rod end is very close to the wheel too and at high steering angle it touches the wheel before the axle. It can be easily solved with a different offset, but as stated above I would need narrower wheels too.

According to me this is the way to solve the rod end interference with the axle. I mount it above the knuckle arm. Unfortunately it implies I have to modify the servo horn and the servo link too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Those are nice, I like the Motoworx SLW wheels, good width, variable offset hubs, true beadlocks, high quality : » Product Categories » 2.2 Scale RC Wheels Archive - Motoworx Racing

I'm currently running XR10 beadlocks that I narrowed, Vanquish Products chubs and knuckles with VP ti linkage, Axial Universals and I get so much steering that my Ripsaws rub the lower links slightly at full lock.
It is not so easy to find an european reseller for Motoworx...

I'm curiuos about how you narrowed the Xr10 beadlocks...
I can't do that because I share them with my crawler and want to be able to put the bullet weights inside in case of need, but I have a complete set of Trail Ready HD (the original ones for Poison Spider Wraith). Do you think it is a good idea to try to narrow them ?
I don't like the fact they have the pin hub and not the hex hub...

Thanks
Filippo

Last edited by setecastronomy; 06-27-2014 at 01:23 AM.
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote

How to remove the interferences which limit the steering ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I remove my steering link and just run 2 tie rods? 2WheelFlyer General Crawlers 10 02-15-2014 02:00 PM
best way to limit flex/ how much? nobody Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 03-30-2010 05:48 PM
After you wrap CVD and LIMIT steering it still broke or not loverichey Team Losi Comp Crawler 11 06-10-2009 01:59 PM
How to remove the steering box? MilesToEmpty General Crawlers 13 02-21-2006 03:01 PM
limit steering turns?? JAKEF150FX4 Tamiya Clod Buster 8 11-20-2005 10:19 AM