Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Steering wobble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #1

Default Steering wobble

I have yet another problem that has been bugging me for some time. When I turn front wheels all way to either side and apply medium or full throttle, the front axle becomes really wobbly. Here is a video:

Steering wobble - YouTube

I wonder if it's normal to behave like that. I tried to figure out what is causing this, but I don't think that steering links (even though they are stock crap) are hitting the wheels, at least from what I saw. Any ideas?
buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Steering wobble

Mine is the same. All wheels wobble. I wondered if my axels we're bent as different wheels do the same so ain't the rims. :-)
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

This a copy paste One of the other things that happens that is more noticeable in the front axle is there is play for the outer axle shafts. In other words you can slide them in and out of the knuckle. If you hold a front wheel and pull it out and away from the axles you will see there is about 1/16 inch of play or sometimes more. This alows the outer axle shaft to float around and not keep the wheel true. All three of my SCX10's do this. If you look at many pictures on here of rigs you can see where the wheel/tire is off camber on one or both sides, this is due to the play that I mentioned. It has never caused a problem other then it looks a little weird at times.

Or Itīs caused by the tire and the foam inside.

Last edited by jvella; 05-26-2012 at 04:16 AM.
jvella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #4

So basic suggestion is to turn down EPA(or dual rates in case of stock axial tx) on the steering?
buffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Besides the end play that the axles have, they also tend to be slightly loose in the bearings in the knuckles.. Also made especially worse by not being under a load, the dog bones or universals whichever you have, tend to bind a bit and the slop in the drivetrain (axles in locker and driveshafts) and make the whole deal look jittery.. It's not so pronounced when on the ground and actually driving it.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Actually, its a combination of gyroscopic precession and either dog bone or universal axle shafts.

Precession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The precession is a factor of the spinning wheel. The dog-bone or universal shaft and case the wheel end of the axle to "whip" slightly. This whipping amplifies the precession.

U-joints and dog-bones only provide smooth operation when the shaft is straight. However, when turned, the cause a slight "whipping" motion at the wheel. The wheel actually speeds up slightly during the whipping phase of rotation. That is why some shafts have a "constant velocity joint". A CV shaft usually has a cup and ball bearings, though there are different types. Dog-bones and universals are not CV.

New bearings, shims or foam will only slightly help the wobble.
Lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Mine does that but my wheels have weights in them so I am guessing mine are not 100% balanced and the memory foam could be contributing to it too. As long as it is fine on the ground I don't care so much. I am not into high speeds anyway. I have universal joints on the front axles so it does matter if it was dog bone or not. Wheel balance is my issue I am guessing.
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I know this is an old thread, but I noticed the same on my wraith... Just dial back the dual rate, so the servo doesn't throw as far. You won't be able to turn quite as tight, but the stock axels won't bind. That's what is going on. Or you can swap the axels for ones made to accommodate high throw steering.
tomvaillencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukefalls View Post
Actually, its a combination of gyroscopic precession and either dog bone or universal axle shafts.

Precession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The precession is a factor of the spinning wheel. The dog-bone or universal shaft and case the wheel end of the axle to "whip" slightly. This whipping amplifies the precession.

U-joints and dog-bones only provide smooth operation when the shaft is straight. However, when turned, the cause a slight "whipping" motion at the wheel. The wheel actually speeds up slightly during the whipping phase of rotation. That is why some shafts have a "constant velocity joint". A CV shaft usually has a cup and ball bearings, though there are different types. Dog-bones and universals are not CV.

New bearings, shims or foam will only slightly help the wobble.
Interesting. Thanx for the info and link. Weird thing is, I've only had this wobbling crap on my SCX10. Every other dog-boned / cv'd / universl 4x4 R/C vehickle I've had (been R/C-ing from the late 70's till now), has never don this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffet View Post
I have yet another problem that has been bugging me for some time. When I turn front wheels all way to either side and apply medium or full throttle, the front axle becomes really wobbly. Here is a video:

Steering wobble - YouTube

I wonder if it's normal to behave like that. I tried to figure out what is causing this, but I don't think that steering links (even though they are stock crap) are hitting the wheels, at least from what I saw. Any ideas?
Did you ever figure your's out? Mine drive'n my nuts.
nigelpheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
links, steering, wobble, wraith

Steering wobble - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire wobble sinekal Newbie General 10 05-11-2012 03:26 PM
Steering Wobble, shaking? Longero13 Axial Wraith 22 04-08-2012 12:30 AM
Wheels wobble, who else? takman Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 14 01-21-2010 07:55 AM
Wheel Wobble h8z2luze Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 07-13-2009 09:52 AM
Wheel Wobble JaDeR Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 03-30-2009 11:41 PM