Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Holmes BR-XL gearing in a wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Holmes BR-XL gearing in a wraith

Good day everyone, i have been trying to find others that are using the holmes hobbies torquemaster br-xl in their wraith that would like to know what other gearing options they have with certain motors.
Currently i am using a crawlmaster expert 13 turn with 16/87 gearing and on three cell lipo my motor doesn't even get too hot to touch. I would like some more wheel speed and was wondering if I should get a 4 cell lipo or change my pinion or spur? Please post what motor and gearing you use. Thank you.
vanwraith001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Holmes BR-XL gearing in a wraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwraith001 View Post
Good day everyone, i have been trying to find others that are using the holmes hobbies torquemaster br-xl in their wraith that would like to know what other gearing options they have with certain motors.
Currently i am using a crawlmaster expert 13 turn with 16/87 gearing and on three cell lipo my motor doesn't even get too hot to touch. I would like some more wheel speed and was wondering if I should get a 4 cell lipo or change my pinion or spur? Please post what motor and gearing you use. Thank you.
If you want more wheel speed you might want to go brushless.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
If you want more wheel speed you might want to go brushless.
No, i don't want to, i am asking specifically about the holmes BR-XL. It can handle 6s and i would like to hear from people who use the brxl or used it for a long period of time. I have three brushless systems including the rx8 gen 2 that I plan on using in a yeti kit build.
My wraith is a scale crawling rig and the yeti and my twin hammers are my ultra 4 racers and my slash 4x4 is my basher. I even have a sensored brushless system in my hpi sprint. Thank you though, as i didn't mention that above and i should add i would like to know about using higher voltage batteries with the brxl.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Just a picture of my wraith
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yep, the Brxl will take 4s perfectly fine! Just plug it in..

But.... Your motor most likely will not. :( it will for a short time..
If you would like to run 4s, I would suggest a HH 16t crawlmaster pro. I'm a HUGE fan of the crawl type HH motor's!
I ran a 16t on 4s in my scx for a year, without issue. I only pulled it to switch to a HH Trailmaster BL.. You would be surprised at how Smooth it is for crawling!
I have one in my scx for a year now and was running a second in my wraith/Sexo for a good period of time.

They both crawled like a brushed motor but could snap a speed on in a instant! (Like 20mph in 2 second's!)

Brxl on 4s, yes
13t on 4s, mmmmaybe.. Cool thing is, you could get a 16t crawlmaster pro armature and drop it in ur can. Then enjoy it 4s! :thumbsup:
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I ran a brxl with a HH 27t for a bit on 4s, the thing ate brushes! But if you pick up the parts just rebuild the motor every 3/4 uses.
big daddy smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daddy smokes View Post
I ran a brxl with a HH 27t for a bit on 4s, the thing ate brushes! But if you pick up the parts just rebuild the motor every 3/4 uses.
Haha.. I here ya.. I had a 17t torquemaster pro in my first wraith.. I only got to run that on 4s once! I had to find the endbell, that melted off the screw's that held it on..

The 16t crawlmaster pro, I didn't replace the brushes in it once. Then it got moved to a XR and then passed on.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
RCC Addict

What I should have said is you might just destroy the commutator on 4s or higher. I have seen pictures of the back of the motors melt on high voltage systems. That is why I suggested you might want to go brushless. It would be less expensive to run brushless in the long run. If you volt up make sure you gear down. Drop down the pinion 3 teeth.

Last edited by SDheavymetal; 01-27-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling................
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thank you guys, i really appreciate all your feedback i think a pro armature is what I'm gonna do.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

At 5.4 ratio and not getting hot/warm you could definitely add a tooth or 2 and keep an eye on the temp. I run the 16t crawlmaster pro with a 5.6 ratio on 3S. Doesn't even get warm in this weather. I get almost an hour on a 2200mah. I mostly crawling around. faster then I care to "trot" after it on 3S Still enough wheel speed to get up the hills.
John_Fizel is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes BR-XL gearing in a wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith gearing wetjet06 Newbie General 1 01-15-2015 04:07 PM
Wraith Gearing Need Help? AJW Newbie General 5 01-06-2014 04:33 PM
Gearing For Wraith Chesebro Newbie General 5 06-09-2013 12:00 PM
Wraith gearing help Kelly H Axial Wraith 8 06-09-2013 11:18 AM
Gearing Wraith for crawling Baisley101 Axial Wraith 8 03-05-2012 08:23 PM