Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: How do I go about making my Trans 2wd with a dig kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How do I go about making my Trans 2wd with a dig kit?

I have a wraith with a 3400kv 4-pole and a rx8 and I want to try something new. Can anyone post pics of how to make the dig unit make the front free-wheel?
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How do I go about making my Trans 2wd with a dig kit?

Flip the skid, flip the axles.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Are you going to use all axial parts for the dig unit? Im asking so i can help you with this. This is mine it can be done. Sorry i was driving with one hand in the video.

greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoblin View Post
Are you going to use all axial parts for the dig unit? Im asking so i can help you with this. This is mine it can be done. Sorry i was driving with one hand in the video.

What is involved in doing what u did. I just ordered the Axial dig kit and wraith t - case halves for my scx10 honcho?

It's looking like mirror the trans, flip the skid plate, have a 3rd channel, and a servo to shift the dig...

Functioning like a full size truck would be sweet. Front wheels unlocked when not needed and 4x4 when needed.
twb4525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

In the above photo do you see the green arrow pointing to the gear? you will need to modify one side of this gear so you have true 2 wheel drive. You want to modify the side that does not contact the main lower drive in the transmission . I used a Dremel and a small cut off wheel to grind down the one in my dig transmission. This gear locks into the Maltese Cross gear. If you do not modify that gear you run the risk of over shifting. This will stop your drive line while driving. This may damaged several parts. I'm running a Spektrum DX 3 C transmitter with a spectrum Sr 301 receiver. You can use your third channel on a two position switch or a three position switch on your transmitter. I set mine to the two positions which. When setting up the shift throw of the servo you will need to pay close attention to the servo to not overheat it. If you overheat it you can kill the servo. If the servo is still clicking or chattering the endpoints are not setup correctly. Ideally you want no chatter coming from the servo. in each direction.

The factory Wraith transmission is mirrored. You will need to turn the skid plate around to point the dig unit at the front axle. You also need to find a drive shaft that fits and does not bind when the transmission is in 2 wheel drive at maximum flex. I'm running in a integy front drive shaft for now I hope to be able to use a MIP if not I will use a RC 4 wheel drive Punisher shaft.
I used a Futaba servo in my truck it has a hundred twelve ounces of torque. However I would have used a Hitec HS 645 mg but I didn't have a server horn.

Last edited by greengoblin; 03-02-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
RCC Addict

To me just reading the dig kit instructions, don't have one so I accept I could be wrong, it looks like if you simply leave out part #AX30536-001 you'll have a drive disconnect rather than dig lock. You may need a small spacer to limit the slider dog from moving to far along the output shaft.
http://www.axialracing.com/assets/AX...ponent_Set.pdf

Leaving out the part circled instead of modifying the arrowed part
Attached Images

altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

You have a good point. However this is like a car if you push that gear off the shaft. It will then hang up and burnt up servo at $40. Or it wears out the end of the case and bearing back to spending more cash. Its better to have all the parts in side than not.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

Thanks for the input.
twb4525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoblin View Post
You have a good point. However this is like a car if you push that gear off the shaft. It will then hang up and burnt up servo at $40. Or it wears out the end of the case and bearing back to spending more cash. Its better to have all the parts in side than not.
Thought of that already, that's why I said "You may need a small spacer to limit the slider dog from moving to far along the output shaft."
I figure rather than weaken a part by chewing into with a dremel if it may not be required.
It also gives you the option of re-installing the lock if you decide you don't want 2wd & decide you'd rather 4wd with dig.
I know which I'd do but then I bought a 4wd truck to have 4wd not 2wd.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

like I said in the above post you have a valid point. To make a proper spacer you will need one of these micrometer.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

If you had a SCX10 tranny with a VP hurtz dig all you do is mirror the tranny and shorten the front drive shaft. Simple.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote

How do I go about making my Trans 2wd with a dig kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trans making noise?? NJK Axial SCX-10 12 12-17-2011 12:36 AM
Hr dig..2wd-4wd xxkalladorxx Axial SCX-10 7 10-17-2009 10:10 AM