Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Keep Breaking the Stock Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Keep Breaking the Stock Servo

Today I didn't even get through a pack without breaking 2 stock servos.

My truck: I am running the RTR electronics but upgraded to VP steering links and a metal servo arm. I am also running bigger 2.2 Voodoo tires with CI foams.

Anyone else experience this? I know the stock servo is not good but it's odd I kept breaking the servos so quickly so wondering if it's the bigger tires with better traction and the Ti links causing the issue.

Last edited by photocycler; 03-01-2015 at 04:57 PM.
photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Keep Breaking the Stock Servo

its odd you haven't upgraded the crappy stock servo since you went to larger tires and upgraded steering links...why keep putting the junk stock servos in? upgrade the servo to a better one, like a hitec 7954sh? about 80 bucks on ebay new...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I planned on replacing soon but figured I would wait until I broke it. I had an extra one which is why I replaced with a stock. This was actually in the same day. I was just wondering if anything else would cause this before I drop $100 on a nice servo
photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I run the waterproof savox 1210 I think. Best servo I have installed on my wraith. gonna give it to my son and try one of the xpert-rc waterproof servos. Same price but claims to have a lil bit more torque.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The stock servo even though it has metal gears wont last long with larger, stickier tires and a heavier rig. Now you have a good reason to buy a high torque servo. I know it was on your lists of upgrades for future replacements but now is better time than any. Don't forget to purchase a BEC while your at it. If its a Castle brand make sure you get the castle link also, you will need to program it for 6.0 volts other wise you wont get the full potential out of your new high torque servo. If you don't want to spend the extra funds on a castle link for the programing then just get the Novak BEC, they are a good brand also.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I broke a couple stock or similar to stock servos and bit the bullet on a hitech 7955 (I think) and it's been running smooth for the last year. One less thing to worry about ruining my day totally worth it.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocycler View Post
upgraded to VP steering links and a metal servo arm. I am also running bigger 2.2 Voodoo tires...
Probably just more than the stock servo can handle, the plastic parts provided some servo safety with them flexing a little. Now that that's gone your servo gears are the weakest link. You probably just need more torque and a better quality servo.

But check your steering and make sure nothing is binging through the full range of motion, both the steering and front suspension range of motion.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I run a Savox 1230 500oz for 80 bucks on ebay had it for over a year and no problems and I'm a basher not a crawler
mikelshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:59 AM   #9

I broke my stock servo after Ti steering links and voodoo U4s. Switched to a HT 7955 and spent 2 hours yesterday crawling the same spot I smoked the stock servo at, no problems...
tatersalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
I broke my stock servo after Ti steering links and voodoo U4s. Switched to a HT 7955 and spent 2 hours yesterday crawling the same spot I smoked the stock servo at, no problems...

I'd go this route. Hitec will warrantee it if you ever have a issue no questions asked
Russianstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Keep Breaking the Stock Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tactic TSX45 servo vs stock honcho servo FATALLYILL Electronics 4 06-04-2014 09:33 PM
alu servo horn for the stock servo (625WP)? dbuus Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 07-09-2013 01:52 PM
stock dog bones breaking? orientalgunz_00 Axial Wraith 6 01-22-2012 09:40 AM
Is this servo a good servo for my stock crawler? geekfreek95 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 02-11-2011 04:22 AM