Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

View Poll Results: Which shocks are a better option
Gmade XO piggpiggyback 11 52.38%
Proline Pro-spec 4 19.05%
Proline power stroke 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Gmade XO or Proline

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Gmade XO or Proline

I have a set of the gmade XO piggyback shocks for my scx10. So far no issues and they don't seem to be leaking. I want to get new shocks for the wraith because I know they will leak and they are very bouncy.

I can't decide to get another set or get the proline power strokes or the pro-spec ones. I see people posting that the gmade ones leak and some come missing parts. I didn't have issues but I worry about rebuild parts being available. I really like the look of them and the adjustability. I also know that that can also be a bad thing and with the piggybacks there are more chances of leakage.

I also see leaking issues with the prolines but it's hit or miss on those too.

What's the difference between the pro-spec and the power strokes? Has anyonehad both or can point me to a comparison? Money doesn't matter too much if there is really a difference.

Any comments for and against are welcome.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gmade XO or Proline

I run both brands along with Traxxas big bores & best all around for me is the proline, the big bores dont leak tho(if built correctly)
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

wasn't a fan of the piggybacks on my wraith. Proline has never let me down but I've only used the scaler shocks before.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Don't disreguard the King Off Road SC shocks. I have 4-90mm (my bad) on my Wraith and really like the performance.

Nice & big like the PL's for large volume of shock fluid. No problems with leaking yet. (as he knocks on wood)

Last edited by gdb85; 03-23-2015 at 05:08 AM.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hmm... I will go take a look at those as well.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

King Scale shocks are 7mm bore like the SCX10 shocks, nothing like the Pro-Line 10mm Power Stroke or 12mm bore Pro-Spec. They have a fake reservoir, the piston is a joke, they like to leak and overall shock length to shock travel length isn't what you get from the same length of shock in other brands. They're just not worth the $40-50 a pair price.

Current Wraith shocks are 10mm bore and could really benefit from the aluminum bodies from Axial or STRC. They also have the dual rate piston option. Upgrading the stock Wraith shocks isn't a bad option to consider. But the shaft design requires the shock bumper to be installed to avoid damaging the lower seal, so travel is limited some (about 27mm).

G-Made are okay, I have a set of G-made 104mm Zero on my Wraith now. They're 10mm bore, have three pistons to choose from, aluminum and nylon spring cups, decent shaft o-rings, 35mm travel and aluminum upper and lower pivot balls. However my 104mm Zero's needed an additional extra o-ring to seal properly. Better price than the King shocks ($55 for a set of 4) and a better shock. The machine work and plastic components are good.

I've looked at the G-Made XD Piggy backs and they include the o-ring I needed to add to my Zero's. Not 100% sure if the diaphragm and aeration style XD's include that o-ring or not, but they probably do since they're the same shocks (minus the piggy). Also 10mm bore and have 31mm travel in the 103mm shock. The Piggy back are about $35 a pair, the diaphragm and aeration can be found for about $25 a pair.

Pro-Line Power Strokes are good quality, well made shocks with 10mm bore and 27mm travel in a 100mm long shock (Slash rear shocks). Their 12mm bore Pro-Spec are supposed to be a little better/smoother with same length and travel specs, but have just one shaft seal where most other shocks have two seals. Both are great shocks, but priced a little high with the Pro-Spec being a little higher than the Power Stroke.

Team Associated also has several options in 10mm bore 1.32" stroke (33mm) 101mm long and 1.18" stroke (30mm) 90mm long shocks. I've got several sets of V1 and V2 Associated 10mm bore shocks from .56" stroke to 1.39" stroke. All are well made shocks with a lot of tuning options and springs available. Great quality shocks for about $30-35 a pair.

The Associated V2 12mm Big Bore are also great shocks available in different lengths. Also less than the price of the Kings (about $40 a pair) but much better shocks. All Associated 10mm and 12mm shocks include PTFE (Teflon) pistons and quality silicone o-rings, the Factory Team versions also include titanium nitride shafts and hard anodized Teflon coated bodies. There are also low friction x-ring shaft seals available.

The Associated 13mm SC10 4x4 shocks are also well made like their 10mm and 12mm counterparts, but their size might be a little difficult to mount on the Wraith and the length of travel to shock length ratio isn't great (26mm travel in a 104mm shock). Perfect for the SC10 4x4, but not the best option for a Wraith.

For the price, the Associated 10mm V2 shocks are your best option with all the available tuning options, spring rates, shock travel to shock length ratio and overall quality. The 12mm Big bore would be the next best option in regards to a quality to price ratio. But I also like the Zero from G-Made I just put on my Wraith, not the same quality you get from Associated or Pro-Line but still good shocks for the price.

What the G-Made XD Piggy Back has over all of these shocks is the true, adjustable, piggy back reservoir for about $35 a pair.

I've also got a set of the dirt cheap Hobby King shocks, they're not bad for the price. Diaphragm style shocks with a 10mm bore, smooth motion, dual rate springs, will accept the Wraith 10mm springs and travel on the 100mm shock is 28mm. But, they need the spring cups and rod ends replaced with stock Wraith parts, the HK plastic is hard and brittle. I broke the center out of one cup just test fitting a Wraith spring. The the o-rings are also poorly molded and should be replaced if they leak. One of four leaked, so I replaced the o-rings in all four. If I had to guess at the oil inside, I would say it's grease diluted with kerosene judging by the color, consistency and odor.

Really not bad for $5 a pair and $6 to ship, but certainly need some work before putting into service.

Last edited by Eric0424; 03-23-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

he said king short course shocks not the scale shocks...which have a 12.5mm body.

Last edited by fr8cture; 03-22-2015 at 10:45 PM.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Yep, missed the SC. I mean, it was only right there in front of me. Duh.

With 12.6mm OD (#Z-D0061, 90mm) and 12.5mm OD (#Z-D0041, 100mm) bodies, they're most likely 10mm bore shocks with the OD being measured at the threads like the other 10mm shocks I have (+ or - .3mm). He also said 93mm, can't seem to find a King shock in 93mm so I checked the specs on the 90mm and 100mm.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My original RC 10 shocks still don't leak (I also haven't touched it in over 7 years) so I wouldn't be against getting the V2 12mm Factory Team ones but I'm having trouble finding the ones I need. I would guess I want the v2 12mm bore ones in 100 or as close as I can get. I looked at RPP and Amain without much success but I may not be looking in the right spot.

I'm still not against Gmade but since I have them already on the scx I would't mind trying something different. I know AE has a lot more tuning options out there and rebuild kits are easily sourced. Not so much with the Gmade.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

You're looking for "Truck Rear" or 12x36mm in the 12mm Big Bores from Associated. The current T5M V2 12x36mm rear shocks are part number 91499, but I don't see the titanium shaft in this kit and the lower pivot balls appear to be steel. You also need 91445 (set of 4) upper shock bushings, not sure if the T5M shock kit includes them or not.

Associated 12x36 is roughly the bore and stroke plus or minus a couple of mm on the actual stroke. Unfortunately AE doesn't publish the specs like a lot the crawler and other aftermarket shocks have. The 12x36 are equivalent to the 1.32" stroke rear 10mm used on the stadium and short course trucks they were designed to replace/upgrade. The 10mm 1.32" stoke are a measured 101mm eye-to-eye with 33mm travel. Not sure if RPP carries the V2 Big Bores, but A-main, Tower, e-Bay and Amazon should.

My Factory Team 13mm and FT 10mm shocks did not include the upper shock bushings but did include the aluminum lower pivot balls and titanium shafts. AE may not have FT V2 Big Bores available yet, which would explain the standard shafts and steel pivot balls in the T5M kit. The 12mm V2's are fairly new shocks.

Part number 91317 is the Factory Team V1 Big Bores from the SC10.2/T4.2 and include the 91307 (3x35mm) titanium shafts. Overall design is the same as the V2, but there were some subtle changes between V1 and V2. I know the mounting hardware changed from 4-40 to the slightly larger 3mm on the new B5/T5 series, so the V2 upper shock bushings and lower pivot balls had to change. The shock cap and rod ends changed as well, V2 caps and rod ends are different part numbers.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Since my customers are hateful people I'm in work early today and had a chance to look at AE's parts. It seems you're correct, they don't have the 12mm V2 FT shocks out just yet. Amazon does have the V1 ones but I may just wait for them to release the V2. At that point I'll probably pick up the front and rear sway kit as well.

I'll see what I can do to make the stockers work better for now. I have a bunch of parts coming for birthday presents so I should be busy for a while.

Thanks for all your help. You're a wealth of knowledge.

Gmade XO or Proline - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gmade or proline shocks and why? driftah Axial Wraith 21 07-16-2014 10:18 PM