Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Hot Racing Parts....GOOD QUALITY???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

Default Hot Racing Parts....GOOD QUALITY???

I was thinking about putting some Hot Racing parts on my Poison Spyder Wraith and was curious as to whether or not they are a good quality parts company. Any input is great.
walkerd84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hot Racing Parts....GOOD QUALITY???

Depends on what you're after.. Their steel products (such as the wraith trans gears) are good quality pieces. The HR aluminum Wraith trans cases are nice as well. However some items seem lacking.. The Alluminum used for the HR sway bar kit is very soft, the grub screws strip out easily.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Yes & no imo...i run HR tranny gears & got a set of shock hoops but other than that not much luck with any other HR products especially links
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The knuckles are absolute crap...bearings will wallow out the pockets in no time. I've burned through some of the axle gears pretty quick but that could be my trigger finger. Aluminum parts from them seem softer than STRC parts to me. I use their transmission cases on my XR10 and they too are softer than VP metal and it is easy to strip out any threaded holes.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the input guys I was actually looking at pretty much all the parts that you said were crap. Haha
Glad I asked before buying.
walkerd84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I just received a trans case where the bearing seat on the extended side wasn't milled properly. The bearing would only seat about 2mm. Not pleased but will see how the dealer handles the return.

Any other options for a aluminum trans case? I see a yeah racing one on amazon but not sure of their quality.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farabomb View Post
I just received a trans case where the bearing seat on the extended side wasn't milled properly. The bearing would only seat about 2mm. Not pleased but will see how the dealer handles the return.

Any other options for a aluminum trans case? I see a yeah racing one on amazon but not sure of their quality.
Buy A VP case and that will be the last time you ever need to buy one.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

i have hr links and so far they have held up nicely as for there qaulity well they will last as long as you need them to if you take care of them if your out to almost try to break your truck then well they wont last but the best part about cheap rc parts on ebay like hr is they are cheap so if you break it your not out a good chunk of money but like gears in my opinion would be to carry a extra set regardless
roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

i use their steel trans gears and they hold up, but like everybody else says the aluminum they use is soft and just not as nicely done as strc or vp.

the bearing pocket being wrongly machined happens with vp stuff too. vp is nicely machined and from quality material but that kind of stuff happens to everybody from time to time.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

For the trans case I figured there was enough metal to negate the soft aluminum. Would have worked fine it it was machiened correctly. I'm fully aware things happen and honestly, I would be fine with a replacement rather than a refund.

VP makes Wonderful products but they are not on amazon and unless I'm making a big order it doesn't make sense to order from RPP. I have cheap al case for the scx I got an amazon and I've had no issues.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

The old saying you get what you pay for is very true with HR. I've had their stuff on Losi's and Axials. Its very hit and miss. Go Vanquish and you will never be disappointed.
DzrtRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

According to HR for the last 1.5yrs they've been using 6061 aluminum. I just bought Yeti knuckles and hubs. I was very happy with fit & Finnish & will buy from HR again.
However on my Wraith I bought VP clamping scale knuckles also happy with them.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
For the trans case I figured there was enough metal to negate the soft aluminum. Would have worked fine it it was machiened correctly. I'm fully aware things happen and honestly, I would be fine with a replacement rather than a refund.

VP makes Wonderful products but they are not on amazon and unless I'm making a big order it doesn't make sense to order from RPP. I have cheap al case for the scx I got an amazon and I've had no issues.

how much are you trying to save on a $50 purchase that you will never break. That's a decent price and I have never paid more than $5 shipping when buying directly from vp. Its not on amazon so buy directly thru vp with your payal.

I have the $260 lifetime guarantee trans from super shafty for my wraith and its comes in a HR case which is of decent quality. Called him recently to see about getting a trans for my son and he was having trouble getting the cases and said he was switching to the vp case for everything with different outputs for wraith or scx10 by using one case for both setups he said it makes stocking stuff easier plus he even said he liked the vp case better than the HR case.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-19-2015 at 09:13 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I went looking for a extended VP case and I didn't find any. Not sure they make them. I saw that supershafty was using the HR case so I thought I was safe. Sucks that it wasn't milled correctly but things happen. I really don't see blowing up a trans case in the future but I'd rather a aluminum one for less deflection under load.

Could I get a VP one? If they made a wraith specific one I would consider it. Will the $25 GPM one I just got work just fine? Hopefully. I have limited funds and sometimes I can't spring for every top dollar part. Steering knuckles and hubs, VP all the way (even with them I got a set with questionable threading on one of the hubs) Rear lockouts? You will probably be fine with anyone but integy.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
PapaGriz Yo

I use the Aluminum trans gears and they have been great. They work better than the Axial steel gears.
I know War Pig has used their locker with good results.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

The Hot Racing locker is a good piece, even if the shaft fitment is a little sloppy. Used and abused a pair of them, and they kept on going. Recently sold them and went to the GripFab locker. Much tighter fitment. Probably means I'll be twisting axle shafts in two now.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #17
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
The Hot Racing locker is a good piece, even if the shaft fitment is a little sloppy. Used and abused a pair of them, and they kept on going. Recently sold them and went to the GripFab locker. Much tighter fitment. Probably means I'll be twisting axle shafts in two now.
Not unless your axles were slipping in the Hot Racing lockers. The backlash and shock caused by sloppy fitting parts can actually cause more damage than parts that fit properly.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #18

Has anyone had experience with the HR 2 speed transmission?
73MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I went looking for a extended VP case and I didn't find any. Not sure they make them. I saw that supershafty was using the HR case so I thought I was safe. Sucks that it wasn't milled correctly but things happen. I really don't see blowing up a trans case in the future but I'd rather a aluminum one for less deflection under load.

Could I get a VP one? If they made a wraith specific one I would consider it. Will the $25 GPM one I just got work just fine? Hopefully. I have limited funds and sometimes I can't spring for every top dollar part. Steering knuckles and hubs, VP all the way (even with them I got a set with questionable threading on one of the hubs) Rear lockouts? You will probably be fine with anyone but integy.
Like i said super shafty uses the same VP scx10 trabs with different outputs. Your looking for extended vp case you wont find it. You buy regular vp case and buy super shafty output kit. Turns scx10 trans into wraith trans with chromoly outputs.

http://supershafty.com/transmissions...n-outputs.html

This is the output set you need to make a vp case work on a wraith. He calls it the perfect pair set

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-20-2015 at 12:37 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I was considering that but went the way of a robinson one piece and idler gear. Put the steel lower and idler in my SCX as well. The one piece needs the extended case.

I'm still on the fence as to go brushless so that setup with the GPM case should work fine for me.

Until it breaks and I have to say you were right.

Hot Racing Parts....GOOD QUALITY??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Shocks, Any Good? jeepfreek Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 11 02-27-2010 10:04 PM
HOT-Racing Parts Losi MRC mikegigabyte Newbie General 10 12-02-2009 11:02 PM
Hot Racing DIG Parts ? Bent axial Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 01-28-2009 05:59 PM
Hot Racing Parts fishh8me Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-30-2008 02:02 AM