Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Help choosing cheapo BL system for spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #1

Default Help choosing cheapo BL system for spawn

Ok, so my spawn is in the mail, but I'm already looking to go brushless. I've used the search function on here but am still coming up short. I'm going to use a hobbyking variety esc and motor. The ESC most likely the 120a trackstar. The motor is where I'm lost at. The spawn has the 32p gears, so I'm trying to figure out what KV motor I need to be shooting for. I ordered a 2s batt with my spawn but also have numerous 3s batts laying around from other trucks. I just don't want to order one that is too low on kv, and ends up being suuuper slow even with 3s, and don't wanna get one that is so high I can never run 3s with. My plan for the truck is to do crawl/trail. I have a stampede vxl for speed runs, but I at the same time don't want a truck that can only go 3mph if I order the wrong motor. I just don't know if I should get a high KV motor and stay with 2s, or get a lower one and switch to 3s. Could someone help me out. I can buy whatever gearing combo I need, just trying to get an idea. I mainly just don't want to get my self into a situation where the motor kv I choose, I can't fix either high or low by changing the gearing.

Last edited by stingeragent; 04-27-2015 at 08:34 PM.
stingeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Make sure you get a sensored set up.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

Default Re: Help choosing cheapo BL system for spawn

Def going sensored. Also, forgot to ask is there any must have ugprades I'll need for the brushless system so it doesn't snap everything.

Last edited by stingeragent; 04-27-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

just got my son the hobbywing xerun 3656sd 3400kv 4 pole motor and it is freakin awesome I was doubtful that a $75-$80 4 pole motor was gonna work but its badass. Its even stamped as a dustproof motor its sealed up pretty nice and was super easy to waterproof. basically a tekin pro4 for half the price.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

for cheap and reliable you cant go wrong with the trackstar stuff over at hobbyking
lawhorn_derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going HK on this one. Any tips as to KV? If I choose lets say a 3000kv, and running 2s, if i switch to 3s can I fix it with gearing? Or if I go with a 4200kv , same deal? I'm new to axial so I don't know all the pinion /spur combo's yet. Just don't wanna buy one and not be able to fix it with gearing. I bought the 2s batt mainly to save the stock brushed motor, but going 3s isn't a problem. I've continued my search but most gearing recommendations apply to the original wraith and not the 32p
Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster brushless motor.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Shoot for the low to mid 3,000 KV range. You won't regret it.

As for gearing, see what the manufacturer recommends running. Some gearing combo's will overheat one motor, and be fine on another. As for rule of thumb, around a 5:1 ratio should work.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #9

I just recently built a wraith with a BL Sensored setup. Definitely in my opinion upgrade the spur to a 56t 32p gear with a 32p pinion, look into some steel transmission gears and MIP Driveshafts. Of course this all depends on how much you squeeze that trigger. I would definitely look at getting a 32p spur if nothing else. Motor wise if you haven't already, looked at the Holmes Hobbies motors.
Grigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

The Harley Building a Bullet Proof Wraith will have info on what is needed to make the drivetrain durable with BL motors. Replacing as necessary when something breaks is a good way to go, but there are several things that can be replaced to make it better of the bat. As mentioned above 32p spur and pinion are a great place to start. I haven't even built my Wraith yet, but I went with BL and from what I have read the power of these systems will leave parts on the trail.
Hope you have a great time with it.
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

MMP & HobbyWing 3400kv is a great combo.
I have the 4000kv HW. It crawls well even on a 3s. If I need it it has the get up and go required.
Geared 60 / 12 at the moment
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Well I'll already have the 32p since it's the spawn. I ended up getting a 4000kv one. Didn't wanna wait half a year ordering from international site. Luckily stuff there is so cheap if it ends up not working out, our not out as much as you would be with a name brand product. Think I'm gonna keep it 2s until I can get some driveline upgrades going. Will update when I get it in.

Help choosing cheapo BL system for spawn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheapo Mill - thoughts? binaryterror Tools, and Procedures 8 07-15-2012 04:42 PM
My First Axial........ EL CHEAPO! Super Fabrication Formula Offroad 17 07-12-2012 04:21 PM
Help choosing 6 channel receiver that will work with 3 racing LED light system. HELP 4x4Crawler4LIFE Electronics 9 07-13-2009 07:41 PM
project el cheapo sloppy General Crawlers 44 02-02-2007 06:42 PM