Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Finally picked out my motor combo for my Poison spyder Wraith.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 AM   #1

Default Finally picked out my motor combo for my Poison spyder Wraith.

Okay guys, I've finally decided to go with the Tekin Roc412 3100kv brushless sensored motor and the TEKIN Rs Gen2 ESC. Seeing as how these are both great quality it a little on the pricey side, can I get some suggestions on gearing and transmission upgrades.
I already have the wraith MIP driveshafts.
walkerd84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Finally picked out my motor combo for my Poison spyder Wraith.

HR Steel trans gears
Hot Racing Super Duty Light Weight Steel Gear Set SCX10

on 3s? 12/56 if your using 32p gears (16/80 if your on 48p) are good starting points
Direct fit Robinson 48p slipper Hot Racing Super Duty Light Weight Steel Gear Set SCX10

or can make the upgrade to the SuperShafty Beefy top shaft & Robinson 56t 32p slipper (seems out of stock at RRP & SS but is in a Tower so they can't be far away)
WRAITH & AX-10 BEEFY Top Shaft - Super Shafty
Robinson Racing 32P Slipper Kit Steel Slipper(56T) - Super Shafty
oh & SS has the trans gears too
Super Duty Light Weight Steel Gear Set - Super Shafty
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Harley's poison spyder build on youtube will help you as far as what will need to be done. if you have the driveshafts, next to go would probably be the stock wheel hubs. I'd convert to the newer style axial is using (hex instead of the pin drive) or you can opt the vanquish rout. 12/56 as mentioned above in 32P will probably do you fine, i don't see the need to go metal on any of my trucks with the slipper but I guess that's preference.

I'm running a roc412 in mine right now, so far the stock tranny gears are holding up but I'd go with hot racing when you can.

Only thing really left from there would be the HD gears front/rear and possibly the locker if you were to lose one it would probably be the rear.
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

I always heard that HR stuff wasn't that good. I don't really know. I don't have any of their parts. Ok now this may sound like a silly question but what are the HD gears?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Just get the mmp, you can find it new for 100 bucks and comes with free castle link too.

Hes talking about axial hd gears in the axles, dont worry about them till they break. You do need to upgrade to metal tranny gears, get the robinson racing middle idle gear and bottom drive gear and your good to go.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Oh and guys when I comes to gearing, I have no idea what your talking about, when you mention the pitch of the gears. What is the stock pitch? I'm sorry for all the newbie questions axle gearing transmission gearing is totally foreign to me. That's why I got on here, cuz everyone seemed like they would be very helpful and so far you guys have been. Thanks for your support.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Pitch basically refers to the size of the teeth on the gear, a lower pitch number means larger and stronger teeth and the spur and pinion have to match. I believe the Poison Spyder has 48 pitch stock gears.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Just get the mmp, you can find it new for 100 bucks and comes with free castle link too.

Hes talking about axial hd gears in the axles, dont worry about them till they break. You do need to upgrade to metal tranny gears, get the robinson racing middle idle gear and bottom drive gear and your good to go.
Mine didn't come with a free castle link but it did come with a coupon that you can use to order a castle link for I think $5
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Thankya, I'll do a little looking and see if I can find the website were I can buy the Robinson racing gears. I think I kinda know how the transmission gearing works, but can one of you guys explain how the axle gearing works. It's throwing me for a loop and my brains not comprehending it right now. It might be because I've been doing to much research the past couple days. Haha
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I just broke the output shaft on the rotor of my roc412 over the weekend. Thanks to tower hobbies I got a new rotor today! I have mine geared at 11/57 on 3s it's perfect. You can get Robinson racing stuff at rpphobby.com but if you are a amazon prime member they do have them on amazon also.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Hot Racing 4 links are rubbish.

HR C-hubs & knuckles are ok.

HR steel gears are fine, I have them in 2 Brushless 3s Wraiths & a 3s 2.2 Sportsman rig.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by novarider View Post
Mine didn't come with a free castle link but it did come with a coupon that you can use to order a castle link for I think $5
Ya it comes with coupon but mine was free.. if you want the castle programming field card you have to pay 10 bucks.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 PM   #13

Thanks for the help. I'll check rpp hobby. I'm looking forward to being up and crawling again. Lol
Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 AM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerd84 View Post
Thankya, I'll do a little looking and see if I can find the website were I can buy the Robinson racing gears. I think I kinda know how the transmission gearing works, but can one of you guys explain how the axle gearing works. It's throwing me for a loop and my brains not comprehending it right now. It might be because I've been doing to much research the past couple days. Haha
The axle pinion/ring gears work the same as the transmission and motor pinion/spur gears. All three (pinion/spur, trans and axle ratios) are reductions and are calculated to get your FDR (Final Drive Ration). Generally speaking lower gearing gives you more torque but will reduce top speed, higher gearing will increase speed but will reduce torque. Going to extremes in either direction can damage the ESC and/or motor.

To raise or lower the axle ratio in the Wraith you need to buy a matched axle pinion/ring gear set, we have three options. The stock 13/38 axle set is 2.92:1, optional 14/36 is 2.57:1 (higher than stock, "over-drive", more speed/less torque) and optional 13/43 is 3.30:1 (lower than stock, "under-drive", more torque/less speed). The stock transmission is fixed at 2.60:1, but the motor pinion/spur ratio is variable due to the optional gears available.

This is just some of the basic gearing information regarding the Wraith. Was there something specific you wanted to know?
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote

Finally picked out my motor combo for my Poison spyder Wraith. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new poison spyder wraith tnt-salvage Axial Wraith 20 07-07-2013 11:36 AM