Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Pauly's Wraith Spawn Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Default Pauly's Wraith Spawn Build

Hello everyone. My first thread on this forum and my first crawler/scaler build in the hobby.

Went with the Axial Wraith Spawn after much research and so far so good. It's definitely fun and so much more laid back than the 40+ MPH 1/8 scale MT's I've been running recently.

Mostly stock still but here's where I'm at so far:

Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Sport 35 turn motor
Holmes Hobbies BR-XL Waterproof ESC
Flysky radio gear
Savox 1256TG soon to be swapped with the 1283SG
DMG axle skids
Axial aluminum servo horn
Axial internal wheel weights up front (4oz per front wheel)
AMF side panels, hood, and roof.

Couple of pics for you guys:

Started building a rock trail in the back yard this week. Man was the wife pissed when I dumped a load of rocks in the yard Still more to come.

Quick vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxI0IH4VoVU
WT's Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #2

Default Re: Pauly's Wraith Spawn Build

Finally got around to taking some pics of the few upgrades and mods I've done. Nothing that hasn't been seen before but funding is low ATM.

Tummy tucked.

Vanquish steering link, push rod, and Savox 1283SG.

Fastback mod using E-Maxx tie rods and ends. I drilled the plastic tubes deeper where the rod ends mount. Then I measured the width of the rod ends with the pivot balls installed and cut the matching amount of material out the plastic tubes. This kept the cage from bulging from the addition of the rod ends. Used longer 3mm cap screws and 3mm washers to keep the pivot balls from sucking into the recessed areas of the cage while tightening. Aluminum roof panel mounted back up without issue. Of course I had to turn my full roof into a half roof tho.

Why I didn't go 3S in this thing sooner is beyond me! Motor is nice and cool with stock gearing and the extra wheel speed with the 35T HH brushed motor is huge over 2S.... obviously. May have to trim the cage a little and volt up some more to 4S. Still debating on what to with the battery placement. Want more weight up front but don't want nothing out back either. Decisions decisions.

How we're sitting right now.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #3

Your fastback looks great. How is the strength of the chassis with the tummy tuck? Guess it's time for me to buy a dremel.
KEVLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVLAR View Post
Your fastback looks great. How is the strength of the chassis with the tummy tuck? Guess it's time for me to buy a dremel.
Thanks Kevlar. Noticed no ill effects of the tummy tuck whatsoever. Chassis, drive line, or otherwise. Using turnbuckles for the fastback definitely stiffened up the rear of the chassis tho.

Dremel is a RC'er's best friend
Old 11-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #5

Finally broke something. Plastic idler gear in the tranny stripped clean. Can't believe they lasted as long as they did TBH.

Got the Hot Racing steel gear set and I'm not certain if it's a concern or not but i thought I was purchasing the solid hardened gear set and received the Super Duty Lightweight Hardened set. Should I be worried?

Regardless everything is re-assembled with fresh Fast Eddy bearings and up and running. Figured I'd do some motor maintenance while it was out and the HH motor was looking plenty fresh after 3 months or so. Cleaned, bearings lubed and back in as well.

Wanted a wider stance so I bought AX31266 (2) and used the wide hubs out of the 2 packs. Gained 11mm at each wheel Don't plan on using the factory wheels for long so I didn't wanna spend the coin for the VP SLW hubs for them not to work wit the Gearhead wheels I'm eyeing.

Went for the battery forward mod and put the ESC up front using the Axial ESC mount. Actually grips the HH BRXL quite well. Hinged hood with Pro-Line Secure-locs to hold it down in the front. Not terribly scale but very functional.

Finally painted and installed the interior. Can't really tell but I used Spaz Stix Candy Rootbeer for the interior. Looks a little brown in natural light.

Moved the RX box to the rear and wanted to cover it up so I made this.

It's the roof section of the Spawn body cut to fit like a tonneau cover. Worked out pretty sweet since I was hacking that body up anyways.

Bout it for now.

So nice to be all cleaned up. No more wires showing

Old 11-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The HR Transmission gear sets are pretty nice, shouldn't have any problems with them.

Looks like the ride height is a bit high on it. Not sure what your driving conditions are, but you'll have less roll overs if you get the lower links flat with the skid at ride height. (Can search droop suspension for ideas) A little belly dragging is better than rolling over on shallow side hills and etc.

All in all looks like a solid build. Well done.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
The HR Transmission gear sets are pretty nice, shouldn't have any problems with them.

Looks like the ride height is a bit high on it. Not sure what your driving conditions are, but you'll have less roll overs if you get the lower links flat with the skid at ride height. (Can search droop suspension for ideas) A little belly dragging is better than rolling over on shallow side hills and etc.

All in all looks like a solid build. Well done.
Thanks for the compliments.

Figured if the HR gears were in the Bombproof tranny they must be good just wasn't sure on the light weight ones.

The ride height isn't as high as you're seeing in the angle of the links from the tummy tuck. The front shocks are sitting at half droop (even though it's a sprung setup) and the rears are pre-loaded pretty hard in an attempt to have the rear end carry over the holes and gaps the front end just pulled thru. My half-ass logic there

See what happens once I upgrade the links.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #8

Threw some more upgrades at the Wraith. Had a stock link end break and my steering just wasn't what I was looking for, both in turning radius and servo torque. Stock shocks leaking quite bad as well.

Here's the latest list of parts:

VP Stage 1 kit
VP knuckle bushings
VP clamping hexes
Incision link set
Savox 1270TG HV servo (487 0z/in)
Castle BEC
Gear Head CAC Wheels
Gear Head RX bypass harness
Gear Head .500 hubs
CI Double Deuce foams
Pitbull Rock Beast II's
Axial HD underdrive/overdrive diff gears

Swapped the VP titanium steering links for the stainless Incision links to add some more front end weight. Also added 21 grams of stick on weight hidden on the servo.

My RX is rated for 8.4V but went with a bypass adapter for ease of install of the BEC in combination with the HV Savox servo

With the .500 hubs and Rock Beast II's, this thing is massively wide and a ton of ground clearance now. It's almost as big is my 1/8 stuff at this point No comps for me so it's exactly what I was looking for.

Got Traxxas Big Bores on the way.

Last edited by WT's Pauly; 07-25-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #9

Traxxas Big Bores mounted up using the supplied oil and Axial purple springs up front and orange in the rear. I typically run my rear shocks slightly stiffer. Seems really good in comparison to stock. Pretty smooth stroke, front end seems well planted, and I'm noticing a lot less torque twist in the rear end. Best of all, no leaking

Problem now is my steering servo mount won't stay tight on the truck. Guess it's time for some VP trusses and servo mount to cure what ails me
Old 07-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

While I was ordering parts.....

Stock lockers

Got some Heavyweight Locked Up FI spools. A little more weight down low.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Lookin' good.
Mopar2Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
Lookin' good.
Thanks pal. Getting there slowly. Need a bigger bank account.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #13

So I went a little beyond just trusses, spools and servo mount.

Pic of the rear axle finished.

One thing to note is when I assembled the Locked Up FI spool I assembled leaving the stock gasket in place on the bevel gear. That makes for a no go on fitting the bearing retainers into the VP axle housings. Another thing I was unaware of is the VP axle housings come with bearing retainers which take the place of the stock type bearing caps. I saw they came with the housings but didn't realize where they went. I now have 2 sets of VP bearing caps that are unneeded. Oops
Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

Front axle is done, bumper installed, and bench run went good.

The Wraith got heavy the last couple nights. 8lbs 10.6oz without battery. Hopefully get a test run in soon.

Made so many changes I'm going to run it with the RB2's before switching over to the KLR's for a fair comparison in the 2.

Last edited by WT's Pauly; 08-04-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #15

sorry if is too late for answers but my answer is if you used the original scx10 skid plate or if had to buy another staff , thanks for the help
marcosdo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosdo99 View Post
sorry if is too late for answers but my answer is if you used the original scx10 skid plate or if had to buy another staff , thanks for the help
If you are asking about the tummy tuck mod, you would use the stock skid plate. This is a wraith so it's a wraith plate, not a scx10 plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote

Pauly's Wraith Spawn Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up tc1 Axial Wraith 34 01-20-2018 01:47 AM
RichMTB01's Wraith Spawn KIT Build RichMTB01 Axial Wraith 0 05-13-2015 08:35 AM
New to RC: Beginner Wraith Spawn Build cornbreadfarts Newbie General 32 03-23-2015 02:04 AM