Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: My steel framed Wraith project (from scratch)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My steel framed Wraith project (from scratch)

Finally have something to show for the last several months of research, noob questions, and buying. The title is a little misleading, I say "from scratch" because every part of this I've looked up and researched what I thought to the best for what I will be using it for. This includes the screw kit that I had to order in order to build my differentials. If operating this is as much fun as it was to find all these parts and then put it all together, then I'm hooked for life lol. Here's a couple of pics of the roller I've got.

Last edited by Tech; 11-19-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My steel framed Wraith project (from scratch)

Been tinkering with the frame since I cant leave stuff alone. Got a couple of ideas from Sevastra's GOAT build. So here's what I have done.

Last edited by Tech; 11-19-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

whats the hoop on the bonnet area for???
skidtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm assuming it was for lights. Keyword was... It got chopped off as well. Lol
Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I seem to have lost a couple of photos, but I smoothed out the old weld points and chopped the old cage up to mock up a rough idea of the cross bar I wanted to do.

used the piece of plate to hold the bars up.

then I got a couple of rods roughly the same size as the stuff on the frame and made a final piece. got it mocked up where I wanted it.

then I used a pair of vice grips to lock it down.

once I got done welding it in, I made a couple of shock braces to tie in the rear mounts. did a shitty job getting them mocked up, I was too excited and had just got the welder dialed in. so the one side is of by a lot. but it'll do what I need it to do.

also welded the inside bit where all the fingers come together so I could smooth the top and not worry about grinding through the welds.

cut the front bumper off while I was at it, probably didn't have too though. I decided to move the frame one hole forward on the skid, it seemed to put the front axle where it needed to be for the front bumper. oh well, I know I have clearance now, servo is for mock up purpose only. Hitec is en route.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

last night I also tinkered with the shocks a little bit. they were dampening too much and the springs couldn't override it even with two springs in each shock. the hot racing shocks have two O-rings in the bottom for dampening, so I removed one from each shock and put in the weakest springs I have. the result is a good one I think, the truck sits lower with the weaker springs and has a good droop effect and still has full articulation. Not sure which springs ill end up using, but for now it looks pretty cool.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Nope..

This looks awesome. I'm literally building the same cage right now. I've been looking for a tube truggy that was already built for almost 3 months and can't find anything so I started hacking.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

The rear shock mounts on my cage were weak and bent easily before I redid them. Putting the braces down like that should strengthen it up alot.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
The rear shock mounts on my cage were weak and bent easily before I redid them. Putting the braces down like that should strengthen it up alot.
I actually had that happen when I got it to a roller frame. I dropped it a few times from my hip (3' give or take) and noticed the bends then. That's why I put the braces where I did, that was exactly where they were bending. Now the mounts are tied into the main part of the frame. If they bend again it'll happen on the rear of the mounts. Which is hopefully doubtful lol.

That's about all I've got planned for the back. You remember the rack that went on top of these frames? I'm thinking about turning that sideways and using that as a roof rack. It nearly fits perfectly on the frame. And using it as a mount for a light bar later on.

Got the tires cut tonight and only made one booboo. Ill post some pics tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

What tires are those? Thanks
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigRigger122 View Post
What tires are those? Thanks
2.2' Proline TSL boggers
Old 11-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

got a couple of photos just messing around with the old roof rack. I think I will definitely use this either on top or as a bed on the back. just need a body to get an idea on what I need to do if I use it as the roof rack.

also spent about an hour to an hour an a half cutting the tires. super simple but a made a booboo. I pulled the tread when I cut and got the rubber underneath making a small hole. easy fix though.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Been busy on getting all the RC side of the build bought and installed. As of right now all I lack is batteries. Which are on the way as we speak. I bought some 3s lipos and made a rough mock up battery of of some construction paper and realized they are just big enough that they won't fit properly where I want them to. So ill be getting some 2s lipos sometime. But in my freetime I've made a box to hold my sec and reciever. Once I can get my hands on a welder ill make it permanent. I like how it turned out, really does a good job hiding all the excess wire. Pictures to follow..
Old 12-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Here's the mock up battery I made.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2015, 11:19 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

And heres the rest of the photos. No welder so I just taped the pieces of the box together.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well my batteries came in today. A quick fit test tells me the measurements were wrong. They actually fit as I wanted them to. But that's as far as I've gotten, had to go work cows this afternoon. Once I get going on this again all make some battery trays and weld everything up.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Got it all together and after an hour of testing I found the weakest link. The hot racing links have plastic ends and one of them broke after finding its way against one of the racks. The donuts were spectacular though. And its got a startup that's smooth as butter. Pics to follow
Old 12-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Here it is. Guess ill drop some money and get some good ones now...
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Can still use the links, but replace the ends with revo rod ends.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Excellent. I've been wondering what ends I needed. Just haven't had time to do any researching this weekend. Too much christmasing to do right now Lol.

My steel framed Wraith project (from scratch) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My scratch built 1.9 Jeep Wrangler Project ll_gauge_ll 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 05-09-2011 06:25 PM
Scratch build Stick project...!!!!! TattooKenny Tamiya Clod Buster 12 05-13-2008 04:28 PM
Project Noob Scratch: 1/6th Dodge Ram Clod Build jmbones Tamiya Clod Buster 22 11-08-2007 12:15 PM