Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Super Shafty Bomb Proof Trans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Super Shafty Bomb Proof Trans

SS is out of the assembled units and they don't have the HR case or slipper in stock either. I am looking at buying all the individual pieces to build it myself. It seems like everything I need (minus the case and slipper) works out to $250 on the SS site. Then if I buy the case, slipper and the traxxas grub screws on ebay that comes out to $323 total. This price includes the MIP drive shafts. When you buy the assembled unit from SS do they include the whole MIP shaft kit or do they not? Because if they don't then it is the same price to buy al the individual pieces as it is to buy the assembled unit.
Also wondering there is 2 versions of the bombproof trans. one for $200 and one for $260. The cheaper one just has the 5mm output right? Is the HR single unit output the one with reference number WRA38X on the SS site for $24? Is that still a really good upgrade from stock? Or should I just do the 6mm?

Last edited by slapjack; 04-29-2016 at 01:33 PM.
slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Super Shafty Bomb Proof Trans

if you want big power go 6mm
buy once cry once
microcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by microcrawlers View Post
if you want big power go 6mm
buy once cry once
Lol. Got it. Going with the 6mm. This is a piece by piece build and the trans is going to be the starting point of the build. This is going to be my first wraith. First one of this type truck all together.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Even the 5mm SS bombproof trans is a massive upgrade from stock. I have 4-5 of these transmissions, all 5mm in SCX and Wraith configuration and they've stood up to hundreds of hours of 3s brushless power with ZERO issues of any kind. It's no wonder they have a lifetime warranty, they'll never have to fill a warranty claim. I originally went with 5mm outputs to keep it simple with driveline compatibility. That trans is now 11 months old, in its third brushless rig, and spins as smooth as the day I got it in the mail. I tore it apart once to inspect and regrease and everything inside looked new. After seeing how well that first one performed, I just stuck with 5mm versions.

I also want to speak to their customer service. In a word, excellent. I've had issues or questions before and they were always answered in a timely manner. SuperShafty takes care of its customers.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I wonder if they give a lifetime warranty if you by the trans in pieces and build it yourself. Do you know what the part number for the HR one piece 5mm unit they use in the 5mm version? Is it WRA38X? And that is in place of the 6mm output and besides that everything is the same as the 6mm version?

if I do the 5mm will the standard mip ends in kit 11116 work? Or is there a special end for 5mm like there is for the 6mm?

Also with the 6mm setup can I just run the standard mip kit 11116 or do I need the x-duty female pieces on each output?

Last edited by slapjack; 04-30-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would guess not. Part of that warranty is SuperShafty controlling the build of each one. Knowing the right bearings and grease were used and then broken in before use. That sort of thing. They can't warranty something they don't know for sure was assembled correctly.

I don't know about the MIP parts compatibility. I run Axial WBHD shafts or Traxxas Maxx shafts. They are lighter, cheaper, quieter, and I've never had one fail or even twist a bit.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Bomb proof trannies are nice but serious overkill for probably 90% of buyers. Even a plastic case trans will hold up to some crazy abuse if you run alloy spacers between the case and motor plate and especially if the motor plate is a 4 bolt unit like supershafty, VP or BWD sell. The 4th bolt is further away from the rest so it eliminates the motor plate twisting which damages the housing, loosens the bolts and allows the mesh between the pinion & spur to open thus stripping gears.

Standard mip 5mm ends will fit any 5mm output without issue.

The bomb proof trans I built uses double extended 6mm outputs. It's nice to know that it'll hold up to real power. I need to order some more batteries to bump it up to 5s but so far the 2350 4 pole sensored 1/8 scale motor hasn't hurt it on 4s.

I have an HR version with short 5mm outputs and it's solid too. I run a 35 turn brood axle buster on 4s in that rig. I wouldn't hesitate to use an HR trans with even bigger power after what mine has held up to.

Just to prove to myself my thoughts were correct I built a trans using a BWD 4 bolt motor plate, Robinson gears with stock steel pin style outputs and a stock plastic case. I run that rig on 3s feeding a 5700 4 pole brushless. I beat the absolute mother fawker out of it and the trans is solid. I fugue I'd have ripped the trans off the skid by now but the screws have only loosened and a quick twist of an allen driver takes care of it.

As far as warranty on a trans they didn't build, no I don't see that happening. You won't need any type of warranty since the parts are all top shelf so don't stress, just build it and go play.

Mip drivelines are where it's at. I've twisted maxx shafts both at the yoke and slip. They're nice due to cheap price and they do take a bunch of abuse but they certainly can be broken.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 04-30-2016 at 10:04 AM.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info guys... Another question

I am probably going to be using the wraithzilla chasis. Is there any interference with the mips where I would need to use the extended outputs or anything or will the standard outputs and mip shafts be fine and not interfere with anything on the chasis

Super Shafty Bomb Proof Trans - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super Shafty bomb proof-- What am I doing wrong? ratrod63 Axial Wraith 8 06-26-2015 07:58 PM
Super Shafty Bomb Proof Transmission getting hot.. OhioGuy82 Axial SCX-10 6 10-12-2014 07:18 PM