Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Big Bore shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas Big Bore shocks

Valheru, those GTRs are extremely nice and the smoothest most leak free shock I've ran. They are much larger in diameter than the big bores and larger than ProLine Powerstrokes as well. The other problem is they have a limited selection of spring weights from what I can find, so they don't have as many options for tuning. I can tell you that they fit the rear of a Wraith with DMG trailing arm stiffy kit and the blue option springs are perfect. Seriously, there is no smoother shock than those Traxxas GTRs.

Yoda, I took that pic a long time ago when I had them all apart so it would take more effort than I'd like to tear them back apart for a pic. I do know, it's not the shaft that's the limiter, it's the shock body. That's why I took the pic this way. The 2660 shaft is much shorter but the other two shock shafts are the same length. The shorter 2661 body limits up and down travel when compared to the 2662. I have the compressed and extended lengths written down somewhere, let me see if I can find them.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 07-26-2016 at 11:16 PM.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

As per the owner's manual of the Slash 4x4 Ultimate, on which the 7462X GTR shocks comes equiped with, page 30, the following are the Traxxas springs available for them:

Orange - #7442, 0.711 N/mm or 4.06 lb/in
Green - #7443, 0.762 N/mm or 4.35 lb/in
Black - #7446, 0.874 N/mm or 4.99 lb/in
Pink - #7447, 0.884 N/mm or 5.05 lb/in
Blue - #7449, 1.004 N/mm or 5.73 lb/in

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R00.pdf

They are supposed to have an internal diameter of 17.5mm x 58.5/60mm long.

Apparently Losi makes springs with the same internal diameter, but 72mm long, it should be the ones for the Losi TEN-SCTE, Losi part# LOSB2963:

Red - 2.7 rate
Orange - 3.0 rate
Silver - 3.3 rate
Green - 3.6 rate

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...hock-spring-PN

valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Excellent info, thanks for sharing Val. If you can fit the GTR shock's size, I'd highly recommend trying a set. I've tried so many shocks and thought nothing could beat big bores until I tried a set of GTR XXLs. I was blown away the first time I ran them.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I run the GTR shocks on my Bomber and they are quite good. They are smooth in crawling and soak up the bumps wonderfully (including those caused by launching your truck 5 ft into the air ).

The spring options are limited but there are a few good choices. The Traxxas springs are all too stiff except for trailing arm setups, don't even consider them for axle mounted shocks. The Losi rear springs are too long and have too much preload with the adjustment collars all the way up, only a consideration if you want a super tall ride height. The front springs from a SCTE may be an option but I believe they are quite a bit shorter than the Traxxas ones.

The best springs for the GTR shocks I found are the Associated 13mm front springs. They are in between the Traxxas and Losi on length and the green spring is actually soft enough for running axle mounted shocks (these are on the front of my Bomber now). Some lighter springs would be nice but the AE ones are the best I could find.

TowerHobbies.com | Associated Factory Team Front Spring Kit 13mm
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Now we are getting somewhere with the threaded body GTR shocks, keep em coming boys.

My next set will most likely be 7462X, but for now I am still tuning the GMade
Piggyback 103 mm I pick-up used a month ago for $60 for all 4 corners.
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas Big Bore shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas big bore shocks???? riz Axial SCX-10 4 12-29-2009 08:12 PM