Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Esc shutting down!! Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

Question Esc shutting down!! Please help

So I recently purchased a wraith spawn rtr. Running a 2s 5000 20c lipo. Stock everything except I've changed the pinion to a 10t. No problems! I felt it was still too fast for strictly crawling and I got a RC4WD 35t motor and a 2s 5000 30c lipo. On the first run after putting the 35t motor and the 30c lipo, the truck just stopped/froze after about 15 min. No throttle no steering no nothing. I unplugged the battery and noticed the motor was very hot and the esc was quite warm as well. I'm new to crawling and I am not sure why everything got so hot so fast. The esc is the stock AE-5 with drag brake. Is the 35t motor not compatible with the esc? I'm at a loss. Any help will be appreciated
Hosstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Esc shutting down!! Please help

That's certainly curious, a 35t with a 10/56 pinion/spur should not get hot unless your doing a lot of full throttle or really bound up stuff.
The esc, while a fairly budget basic unit shouldn't have any probs with that motor.

First step would be looking for stuff binding & causing load, I'd drop the drive shafts off & check the axles feel smooth. Obviously if something is tight need to find that, might be a junked bearing.
If axles are good then try turning the trans from the driveshafts, will feel a bit notchy from the motor magents but if thats tight then you need to get in drop off the motor pinion to feel the trans.
If thats good & the motor isn't locked up double check your pinion/spur mesh, if thats in too tight it'll load up the motor.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
That's certainly curious, a 35t with a 10/56 pinion/spur should not get hot unless your doing a lot of full throttle or really bound up stuff.
The esc, while a fairly budget basic unit shouldn't have any probs with that motor.

First step would be looking for stuff binding & causing load, I'd drop the drive shafts off & check the axles feel smooth. Obviously if something is tight need to find that, might be a junked bearing.
If axles are good then try turning the trans from the driveshafts, will feel a bit notchy from the motor magents but if thats tight then you need to get in drop off the motor pinion to feel the trans.
If thats good & the motor isn't locked up double check your pinion/spur mesh, if thats in too tight it'll load up the motor.

I will give it a good once over and check for tightness and any kind of binding. Just seems strange that it was working fine until I changed the motor and battery. I will post my findings a bit later thanks for the help
Old 10-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Did the LIPO possibly draw down too low? Does the ESC have thermal shutdown or LVC programmed?
TAMELESSTGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

How's the gear mesh betwen the pinion and spur?
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMELESSTGR View Post
Did the LIPO possibly draw down too low? Does the ESC have thermal shutdown or LVC programmed?

The lipo was fully charged if that's what you're asking. It happened within the first 15 min of the run. The esc is an AE-5 which comes stock on the spawn rtr. I'm thinking a thermal shutdown is what happened but I don't know why.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdood View Post
How's the gear mesh betwen the pinion and spur?
The mesh seems good I guess. It's not too tight or too loose imo. There is a tiny wiggle on the spur at the pinion. So the gears aren't totally seated within each other. Maybe a sheet or two of paper thickness apart. Isn't that where it's supposed to be?
Old 10-31-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosstyle View Post
The mesh seems good I guess. It's not too tight or too loose imo. There is a tiny wiggle on the spur at the pinion. So the gears aren't totally seated within each other. Maybe a sheet or two of paper thickness apart. Isn't that where it's supposed to be?
Yeah, that sounds just fine. It may just be down to shitty rtr eletronic's.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Gear mesh sounds about spot on.
I'm out of likely suspects other than the esc on it's way out.

Edit: just had the thought, put the stock motor back in with the 10t pinion & see how temps go.
While not likely it could be there's a fault in the motor that's causing it to draw excessive amps & over loading the esc

Last edited by altd896; 10-31-2017 at 07:19 PM.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I had that RC4WD motor in my wraith spawn and it dead shorted and blew the motor and the ESC. It didn't have many hours on it but It was the fastest I've ever gone through a motor. I'd put the stock back in and see if it gets rid of the problem. Some of RC4WD stuff is awesome but the quality is suspect.
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sounds like a seriously burnt motor. Replace with stock, and try again. You’ll find out quickly enough if it’s the motor or the esc.

And, yes, keeping ones finger pushing the throttle while the motor / car is stuck, will kill every motor on short notice.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Esc shutting down!! Please help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
esc shutting off ladoga2015 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 01-01-2015 07:41 PM
esc shutting off need help bro_die Electronics 12 07-12-2011 10:48 PM
Esc shutting off during turns Ryan87 Electronics 4 03-10-2010 10:44 AM
ESC shutting off question midship909 Electronics 9 11-19-2009 01:31 PM
ESC shutting down?? robert97dodge Electronics 4 07-21-2008 08:21 PM