Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith is going on a DIET!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith is going on a DIET!

The BGR shock towers showed up this morning. I've got them installed, and I honestly don't think there is any issue with stiffness up front. The only thing I could see people basing this on is the top tube area where the hood/body mounts. Since it is no longer tied in to the shock towers, it does "float" a tiny bit. But, none of that is going to transfer in to the shock tower area IMHO. Manipulating the front end and flexing it by hand, there was virtually no deflection. At this point, I'm not going to bother with fabricating any reinforcement. If it looks to become an issue under actual driving conditions, I'll consider it then, but i'm highly doubting it will. Any ways, below are some pics. The fit and finish is awesome and they popped right in to place. Machine screw hardware is included as well. I slipped the body on for two of the shots, but I still need to trim the hood for the shock tower hoops. Going to try to finish mocking up the ESC location up front, get it mounted, and then get all the wires cleanly back to the rear fuel cell/receiver box today.

I've also got another thread going in the paint section. I'm considering painting the chassis. I'd love to do it in a silver to match the BGR stuff, but a bit worried about pealing and cracking. It looks like a few people have done it with mixed success. Sounds like scuff sanding, degreasing and then pre-spraying with adhesion promoter are the way to go. Also considering spraying it a gloss black, that way if it chips or gets scraped, it will just show through to the original black, which will look like primer. IDK - still on the fence about it.
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Looks good and thanks for the update. Will the stock rx box fit with the bgr front shock mount now?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Looks good and thanks for the update. Will the stock rx box fit with the bgr front shock mount now?
I didn't check. I can take a look and let you know. My guess is it will be way too tall. My HH BLE ESC just barely squeezed under the cross brace between the towers.

Putting my old, aluminum body panels on to take her out for a little shake down. (Still have to trim out the hood for the shock towers on the lexan body without mauling it ).

IDK - I do still love the way the alum panels look. Especially with the BGR towers now. Decisions....decisions.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Mocked up a template for cutting the hood for shock towers this morning. Now, I've just gotta commit!

I'm going to do the lexan hood first, then I'll do the aluminum one because I'm really thinking about sticking with the aluminum panels. I've typically used a dremel tool with cutting wheel on aluminum for operations like this. I'd love to hear recommendations on a cleaner way? It's just hard to get real precise control/cuts with the dremel.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Oh yeah - forgot to mention. The HH PullerPro 3500KV is sick! Straight up wheelies in the driveway. Flipped it right on it's back once.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Drill holes at each end of your proposed slot first with bits that are the same diameter of the proposed slot (looks like 5/16"?) Then connect the holes with your cutoff wheel. Should leave you with nice, radiused slots.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

JIMMY is in the driver's seat!

He showed up today and the detail is sweet. I especially like the harness and harness clasp. His legs are a little short, but you don't really see them any way. I'm also going to have to extend the steering column a little bit for his steering hand to fully engage it. But, other than that, he looks good in there. It was $45.00 total including Jimmy, a new Wraith seat, and the harnesses. A bit pricey, but the detail is pretty amazing.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2017, 02:12 AM   #28

Looks sweet!
uk-Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Should paint Jimmy to look like the Stig. LOL
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Ok, Wraith weight loss project is just about wrapped up. After all the changes, including snub nosing, fast backing and ditching all the scale goodies, scale says I dropped 6.01 ounces. Between that and the increase in power with the Puller Pro 3500kv, i'm pretty darn pleased!

Wraith is going on a DIET! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CR-01 needs a diet mulepic Tamiya CR-01 5 07-06-2009 08:47 AM
betty's on a diet colonelangus Chit Chat 8 01-28-2008 03:25 PM
do you think she needs to go on a diet Will Chit Chat 8 07-30-2005 04:04 PM