Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Wraith
Loading

Notices

Thread: Wraith 1.9.2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,670
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
are the links in the spare parts bag too long for the fastback mod?
The links in the bag do fit. If you ream them out a little with a multibit they slide snuggly over the cage and you won't have to redrill the roof panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Cool wraith.
You should buy one.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #22
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,670
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Fastback mod done. I too opted to retain the stock roof. A little careful bending over the edge of the bench and some finessing by hand got it done.

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #23
ROCK STOP HOBBIES
 
CM9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Looks better with a "soft top" vs having an aluminum panel up top. Looks good.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #24
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,670
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
Looks better with a "soft top" vs having an aluminum panel up top. Looks good.
A painted panel shows that tasty rock rash, but yeah, I am digging the soft top look too.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #25
Rock Crawler
 
GA Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marietta
Posts: 517
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

I would have had the roof panel end right behind the driver's head, but that's just me. The fastback mod looks great.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 AM   #26
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: your back yard
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

I like it! If later you decide to cut the roof you can. I guess I better get it done

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cape crud... will you be my friend
Posts: 2,006
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Yup, I liked it when it was being done on the fat wraith and now that it's being done on the little guy I kinda like the fast back more. Looks great Duuuuuude !!!

When you opened up the holes do the links stay in place or do they want to shift around ? I've already made a drop bed for mine and I don't want to widen the bed area because my deck with be too narrow.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 11,074
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

I'm where a lot of people seem to be with this rig. It's very cool, but the value just isn't there. It's way overpriced for what you get. It is a $300 rig.

I'm going to build one as soon as I find a cage on eBay. I don't need the rest of the garbage - plastic links, shocks, junk electronics, and wheels and tires. Although the wheels and tires do look excellent this time around.

I'm not sure if Deans are the standard anymore. XT60s are, thankfully, taking over. Deans suck. I hate EC3 connectors more than Deans though. Not sure why Horizon come up with a new connector that isn't even compatible with the EC3 which they used to put on everything. That's very shortsighted thinking.

Trim the roof. Right now it looks like your Wraith has a dorky hat with a neck flap.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #29
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,670
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
When you opened up the holes do the links stay in place or do they want to shift around ? I've already made a drop bed for mine and I don't want to widen the bed area because my deck with be too narrow.
They stay put for the most part as long as you make the hole just big enough to work the cage through. I fabricobbled my own version on the OG Wraith using drilled out Traxxas rod ends and the only time they seem to shift with when it takes a hard tumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm where a lot of people seem to be with this rig. It's very cool, but the value just isn't there. It's way overpriced for what you get. It is a $300 rig.

I'm going to build one as soon as I find a cage on eBay. I don't need the rest of the garbage - plastic links, shocks, junk electronics, and wheels and tires. Although the wheels and tires do look excellent this time around.
Axials stuff is priced above their competitors, and that's kind of a bummer, but the upside is the massive aftermarket support. I think the sweet spot for this one would have been around $320. I'm sure that there is a builders kit coming, it could be worth waiting for.

I'm actually really impressed with the tires. Probably the best I've ever had on an RTR. The stock wheel/tire wobble kills most of the cool factor though. I might swap them over to my beadlocks and run them for a bit just to see what they will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm not sure if Deans are the standard anymore. XT60s are, thankfully, taking over. Deans suck. I hate EC3 connectors more than Deans though. Not sure why Horizon come up with a new connector that isn't even compatible with the EC3 which they used to put on everything. That's very shortsighted thinking.
Gimme a break, I've been away for a few years.

The only reason to put a fancy new connector that hasn't yet caught on is to try to force the change onto the market. So, $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Trim the roof. Right now it looks like your Wraith has a dorky hat with a neck flap.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 04-08-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 11,074
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Axials stuff is priced above their competitors, and that's kind of a bummer, but the upside is the massive aftermarket support. I think the sweet spot for this one would have been around $320. I'm sure that there is a builders kit coming, it could be worth waiting for.

I'm actually really impressed with the tires. Probably the best I've ever had on an RTR. The stock wheel/tire wobble kills most of the cool factor though. I might swap them over to my beadlocks and run them for a bit just to see what they will do.

Gimme a break, I've been away for a few years.

The only reason to put a fancy new connector that hasn't yet caught on is to try to force the change onto the market. So, $.

$320 would have been acceptable.

I don't think the aftermarket support is a reason to excuse the inflated pricing, but a lot of people accept it.

RTR tires have come a long way for sure. Axial has some cool looking tread on their tires. I just wish they'd have a performance or competition compound that they sold. Times have changed and the R35 compound just isn't as impressive as it used to be.

I figured you weren't using XT60s if you weren't involved in the hobby in recent years. Deans aren't horrible. They were just the only option we had for the longest time.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #31
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: your back yard
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Trim the roof. Right now it looks like your Wraith has a dorky hat with a neck flap.

You know that guy gets all the ladies...
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 11,074
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
You know that guy gets all the ladies...
By way of kidnapping...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #33
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,670
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't think the aftermarket support is a reason to excuse the inflated pricing, but a lot of people accept it.
For us it's a benefit. Guess it depends on which side of the counter you're standing on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
RTR tires have come a long way for sure. Axial has some cool looking tread on their tires. I just wish they'd have a performance or competition compound that they sold. Times have changed and the R35 compound just isn't as impressive as it used to be.
I was going to use the PitBulls I've got laying around, but after 6 years or so that super soft compound is deteriorating at the sidewalls. I'm really surprised that running the OG 1.9 the other night didn't result in massive, catastrophic tread discombobulation.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #34
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,349
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

The 1.9 Wraith is a huge MEH.

Dogbones, plastic links, plastic shocks, plastic glue on wheels, and overpriced to boot.

The ScX10 2 Chevy Blazer is a much better choice if one must have an Axial based rig.

But, it looks cool. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Castle Rock, WA
Posts: 8,533
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
The links in the bag do fit. If you ream them out a little with a multibit they slide snuggly over the cage and you won't have to redrill the roof panel.

You should buy one.
I cannot remember the last time I bought an Axial RTR or Kit. Don't think I ever have. Mainly just buy the bits and pieces for builds.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #36
Suck it up!
 
Duuuuuuuude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 11,670
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Do you see it?

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #37
into the ether...
 
smog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

You change the upper link geometry?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,466
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

I guess the price is okay. I started wondering if I could just build a scale hardbody early bronco with links/coilovers and I think just those main things alone (hardbody, chassis, links, shocks) would be well over $400 total.

Huh.

And for the record, I once owned a hat with a neck flap. It got me zero ladies. Then again I was like 11 soooo....
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 PM   #39
ROCK STOP HOBBIES
 
CM9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

I see pin tires in the background. Lol.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 11,074
Default Re: Wraith 1.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Do you see it?
Wheels and tars look good. Are those Tamiya wheels?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com