Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: whick knuckle weights??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default whick knuckle weights??

Im getting ready to purchase some knuckle weights and need some feedback.Which knuckle weights would you prefer using, VP or D-lux?? Why? Im looking for any responses I can get here, whether you have had experience with both or just one or even none....
001Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: whick knuckle weights??

Both do the same thing, and both are very popular.

Neither work with stock knuckles though. So if you don't have VP knuckles, You will need to do Kieren's homemade kncukle wieghts.

Knuckle weights How To
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks TSK. Im glad someone of your reputation jumped up to the plate!!! Your builds are always right on and posts very informative. I do have the VP knuckles but the Dlux thread said some grinding may be needed to fit the VP incision knuckles so i was kicking it around on the forum before i hit the add to cart button!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I`ve got 1 set of D Lux and one set of VP. They fit both like a glove to the XR10 VP knuckles no grinding needed.

VP mainweight:
Are havier and all screws are metric, and fixed with 4 screws from the backside

Dlux mainweight

Are lighter then the VP ones, but you can add the Steel Ring around it, and the are fixed with 1 setscrew on the Knuckle.
racer_zh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i was fixin' to say, i've got the deluxe weights on my vp knuckles and they fit like a glove. No grinding.
concretejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001Hulk View Post
Thanks TSK. Im glad someone of your reputation jumped up to the plate!!! Your builds are always right on and posts very informative. I do have the VP knuckles but the Dlux thread said some grinding may be needed to fit the VP incision knuckles so i was kicking it around on the forum before i hit the add to cart button!!!
Uh oh... I have a rep? I hope it's a good one

I think the grinding some people mention is to actually do a small drill point (like a countersink) into the VP knuckle to allow the D Lux's set screw to seat deeper. I personally have D Lux weights on my tuner, have NOT modded my knuckles, and have NOT had the knuckle weight come loose. The set screw doesar the finish a bit, so if that kind of thing bOthers you, the VP set might be the way to go. However some D Lux users have drilled and tapped a couple holes on the back side to allow use of button head screw to clamp the main weight on similar to the VP's mounting style.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'd recommend the VP weights since I had a good experience with my set. I've got their weights o my 8* knuckles on my berg now. I know the VP weights have been out of stock for a little while now, but you should see them back soon enough
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Just my opinion rather than " the word on the streets" kinda thing. Lots of post and good replys as well as always active on the forum. Ya, funny as soon as I went to the VP site meaning to do some real bidnis and clicked the button.....It said outta stock!!!! the Dlux weights are out as well!!! guess I gotta get in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Uh oh... I have a rep? I hope it's a good one

I think the grinding some people mention is to actually do a small drill point (like a countersink) into the VP knuckle to allow the D Lux's set screw to seat deeper. I personally have D Lux weights on my tuner, have NOT modded my knuckles, and have NOT had the knuckle weight come loose. The set screw doesar the finish a bit, so if that kind of thing bOthers you, the VP set might be the way to go. However some D Lux users have drilled and tapped a couple holes on the back side to allow use of button head screw to clamp the main weight on similar to the VP's mounting style.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Got my tires and wheels today!!! only had time to get one battery through them though. Tommorow will tell the reat of the story but nice work so far so good!! I will get to some posting tommorow or this weekend. I have to get some pics and a little more test time!! Thanks for the quick handling and delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
I'd recommend the VP weights since I had a good experience with my set. I've got their weights o my 8* knuckles on my berg now. I know the VP weights have been out of stock for a little while now, but you should see them back soon enough
Old 01-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Try to Bend it

Either of the above are great products and they both do the same job.

I have seen another style getting around but I can't remember the name. the top of the ring is slotted and they clamp to the knuckle similarly to a clamping servo horn. They may fit the stock knuckles but I can not be sure.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Either of the above are great products and they both do the same job.

I have seen another style getting around but I can't remember the name. the top of the ring is slotted and they clamp to the knuckle similarly to a clamping servo horn. They may fit the stock knuckles but I can not be sure.
After you mentioned it, I remembered seeing those as well.

Here they are.

Axial XR10 Stock Knuckle / Axle Weights

Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks fellas. It looks like the cytthroat weights only fit stock shaped knuckles. Looks like im still waiting on VP. tick tock tick tock goes the VP clock. Im currently waiting on red VP upper link mounts as well, on the other hand i just got a set of wheels 2 days after I ordered them. Special thanks to EAST COST RC
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Hey matt there is a set of d-lux weights in the for sale section. Better hurry

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/...eed-money.html
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Got em!!!! Also ordered some add on rings this morning so i can start playing around with the weight. Whew that was a close one. Thanks TSC and IllEagle for getting that back to me so quickly. They sure wouldnt have lasted long. Im finally nearing the end of my build purchases!!! Im.sure lots of tweaking on this or that lies ahead but at least i wont have to keep going by the usps office two or three times a week!!! Really looking forward to these next couple of comps. Still have alot of names to learn(real names that is).
Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #15

I'm looking for weights too. I got ST Racing knuckles and was wondering what weights would fit them and are they basically the same as stock? Thanks!
coilwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm glad you got them because I was looking for a reason to hold off buying another set just this second. Even though its enevitable that I will be buying another set to finish my AX10 / XR10 sporty build here in the next month or so.

Quote:
Got em!!!! Also ordered some add on rings this morning so i can start playing around with the weight. Whew that was a close one. Thanks TSC and IllEagle for getting that back to me so quickly. They sure wouldnt have lasted long. Im finally nearing the end of my build purchases!!! Im.sure lots of tweaking on this or that lies ahead but at least i wont have to keep going by the usps office two or three times a week!!! Really looking forward to these next couple of comps. Still have alot of names to learn(real names that is).
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Still have alot of names to learn(real names that is).
Don't feel bad. I am around long enough to start learning their names and then I leave and forget them. I am pretty good at remembering faces and screen names though.

-Trent
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #18
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilwolf View Post
I'm looking for weights too. I got ST Racing knuckles and was wondering what weights would fit them and are they basically the same as stock? Thanks!
I'm pretty sure the STRC knuckles are stock replacements. Cutthroat's knuckles weights (that I posted a pic of above) should be what you need.

But to be sure, post a pic of your knuckles. If they look llike the HT's with the silly "Y" shaped double shear arm, you'd be outta luck. If they look pretty much like the stock plastic one, you are good to go. If they do look like the HR one's just make your own weights.

001Hulk, I'm glad you scored them. I PM'd you as soon as I saw them
Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #19

These are the knuckle so the are just stock replacement.
Thanks for the help!!!!

Last edited by coilwolf; 01-20-2012 at 10:37 AM.
coilwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilwolf View Post
These are the knuckle so the are just stock replacement.
Thanks for the help!!!!

Those look like AX knuckles...

And we are talking XR knuckles..

whick knuckle weights?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knuckle Weights vs. Wheel Weights Harvo Tires and Wheels 34 11-16-2011 01:15 PM
Knuckle weights? EvilTwin v2 Scale Comp Rules 21 09-09-2011 06:21 PM
Knuckle Weights Erik D_lux EnRoute Berg 238 06-03-2011 01:42 PM