Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: front xr10 axle has no torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

Default front xr10 axle has no torque

Hey guys looking for some help here.....I just picked up an xr10 from TexanCrawler and for some reason my front axle loses torque when running, especially when I have dig engaged....the gears look good but I don't know what the problem could be......Has anyone ever had this problem
jbailey2478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: front xr10 axle has no torque

Sound like a motor problem maybe?
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Have the motors checked... Sounds like a com/brush problem for sure
superduty03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Unless you have a bind in the front axles it is most probably motor, ESC or radio related.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

are we talking about the servo or motor??
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

My money is the brushes need to be replaced.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #7

Cool I'll check it out.....I imagine if it is the brushes it shouldn't be too expensive to fix..........and yes the problem is in the wheels not the servo....the motors on the rig are HH torquemaster experts 45t......I would say their worth saving or no?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey2478 View Post
Cool I'll check it out.....I imagine if it is the brushes it shouldn't be too expensive to fix..........and yes the problem is in the wheels not the servo....the motors on the rig are HH torquemaster experts 45t......I would say their worth saving or no?
Yes, those are worth saving. Brushes are a few $$ even at expensive places (likely $5 tops/pair).

Does it seem like there is no power, or that the front motor stops running?

No power would likely be brushes as mentioned. Make sure the brush braid is not hung on the edge of the brush hood, make sure the brushes slide easily in the brush hood, check to see if there is space between the brush spring and brush spring slot (there should be).

I ask about motor not running since that could be other things.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You probably need a comm cut and general motor refreshening. Read up here for some insight on what to look for 540 Brushed Motor Care, Installation, and Troubleshoot « The Search for Power
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #10

Smile Re: front xr10 axle has no torque

Yes the problem is that the wheels will turn but as soon as I grab the wheel it will stop turning and make a clicking sound like the gears are shot but I already checked the gears and they are fine.....I'm going to my lhs today which is actually the retail store for Amain Hobbies....the tech guys there aren't as good as they should be about fixing and repairing.....I took the motor apart last night and I'm not familiar with brushed motors but it appeared that the comm/ or brush was broken because they were in three pieces....Once again thanx for the help guys
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #11

Just called Amain Hobbies and those people over there are a joke....I told them my situation and what the problem could be from this forum and what I was explaining to them was over their head......They never even heard of Holmes Hobbies and suggested that the brand might be cheap and probably won't carry replacement parts....I wish I had a good local crawler store with people who knew what they were talking about....
Old 04-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thats funny, Amain carries and sells quite a bit of my products. Obviously the workers aren't familiar with everything Amain does.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey2478 View Post
Yes the problem is that the wheels will turn but as soon as I grab the wheel it will stop turning and make a clicking sound like the gears are shot but I already checked the gears and they are fine.....I'm going to my lhs today which is actually the retail store for Amain Hobbies....the tech guys there aren't as good as they should be about fixing and repairing.....I took the motor apart last night and I'm not familiar with brushed motors but it appeared that the comm/ or brush was broken because they were in three pieces....Once again thanx for the help guys
I don't understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that the wheels rotate when under throttle but stop when you turn the steering?

The comm is in three segments and that's normal. There should be two brushes at 180 degrees from each other and tension is provided by the springs. The brushes should be able to move in the brush hood.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #14

What I meant was that the wheel spins when I hit the throttle but if I grab the wheel with my hand when throttle is still engaged it will stop turning.......I found a guy that is going to fix it.....found him through Paradise Hobbies (another lhs).....He said that one of the brushes busted so easy fix.....trying to get this rig comp ready is more work than I thought it was going to be........hopefully I will be able to comp before summer......lol
Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #15

So I got my motor back with some used but good brushes and 5 minutes running on flat ground and it sounds like the brushes busted again.....Has anyone every had a brushes break like this? Is there a problem with the motor? I noticed after putting the rig back together that right off the bat the front axle would not engage until applying a certain amount of throttle which already makes the rear axles spin......So in other words the axles are not engaging at the same time.......Would that be a problem with the radio? I'm running a 4pl on two Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster expert.........
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

New/different brushes need to be run in.

TBH it sounds to me like you're having transmission issues, ie gears, bearings, flex, etc.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Brushes don't "just break".

Either they were installed incorrectly or the comm has an issue that grabs the brush and breaks it.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

front xr10 axle has no torque - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR10 Overdrive front axle? spunkysandoval Axial XR10 7 10-11-2011 03:16 PM