Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: About to build a new XR10 kit, opinions welcome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default About to build a new XR10 kit, opinions welcome

I recently bought an XR10 kit from a guy here in the for sale section. It is going to be built according to kit specs, mainly because I enjoy getting a feel for something before i modify it. I chose to go with dual FXR ESCs with Tekin 45T motors, Futaba S9157 servo, CC BEC, Futaba 4PKS transmitter, and Gens Ace 450 mah 25C 3S batteries. I sold all of my rc related stuff about a year ago and completely got out of it. So swallowing the cost of all of these things has momentarily halted me spending any more money on it. I also have white compound sedonas and pink compound Rovers en route. I also had to re buy tools, oils, soldering station, etc... Word to the wise, never completely sell out. My question to you guys is, are there any pointers/recommendations/suggestions you'd like to offer up as far as building the kit initially goes? Any setup changes that are worth trying aside from the kit instructions? I have built a ton of track car kits as well as a few SCX10 kits.. So skip the obvious pointers about general kit building please. I plan to do some lightening and upgrading once I've put it through its pace, and my bank account recovers. But for now, I am going to make the most of what I've got. I will not be doing any comps, just messing around and taking it with me when i go crawl my life size Jeeps. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by HurricaneSpike; 08-22-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling error
HurricaneSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: About to build a new XR10 kit, opinions welcome

Read Harleys sticky in this forum.

At least you should do the bearing shim mod for the final gear.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The biggest pointer I can give you is when putting the rear axle together, be VERY certain you use the exact length screws called for in the housing. Use one that's just a touch too long and it's gonna bust through inside and interfere with the bearings. And while you are working on the rear, look into Mark Reel's screw mod. It's simple and seems to work. I have it done to mine and I went through 6 packs without any gear poppping. It fixes a design flaw that Axial seems to have made on the rear housings.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

I changed out the 8ea 5x8x2.5 bearings for traxxas bushings and did the 9mm bearing mod for the remaining 6ea 5x8x2.5 flanged bearings in the motor plates. I used avid 9x5x3 flanged bearings with the plastic seals and reamed the stock motor plates to 9mm bores. about 6 packs (1800 mah 3s lipos 45t broods) through it already, no comps just bashing around and trailing. did not abuse it but didnt baby it either . I let my kid use it and she is tough on it, constant back and forth crashing on roots, ruts, fences, trees etc. Also recommend a metal servo horn, stripped out 2 plastic axial ones already.
redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

can i ask what is the proper way to ream the bearings. Please let me know I have searched and came up with nothing
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

This tip is for assembling stock gear boxes.
After you put the gear box cover on, spin the gears and make sure that the gear box cover is not adding resistance to gear movement. If it is, loosen the two screws a tad until you have eliminated that resistance caused by the gear box cover.

I encountered this over the weekend while I was troubleshooting an issue with my rear axle.

Enjoy your XR10 and post some pictures of it when you can. :thumbup:
jmindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
can i ask what is the proper way to ream the bearings. Please let me know I have searched and came up with nothing
Yeah the search engine on this site dont work too good.

I'm not sure about reaming the bearings but i reamed out the motor plate for 9mm OD bearings to replace the 8mm stock ones. I have a 9mm straight shank reamer and a drill press. I screwed the plates into a piece of 2x4 wood on 4 sides, left the 2x4 unclamped and while the press was not rotating operate the drill press handle up and down onto the plate. start the drill press use some cutting fluid and go slow, the reamer will self center and enlarge the holes real quick as the plates are aluminum. my reamer is a little larger than I wanted (.3555 inch) a true 9mm size reamer is .3543 inch but hey it works.

Last edited by redcard; 08-29-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: 9mm
redcard is offline   Reply With Quote

About to build a new XR10 kit, opinions welcome - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level-3 R/C Shock Drop Kit..! Opinions..? Big Tex Axial Wraith 13 08-03-2012 09:26 AM
Should I buy an xr10 kit, or just axles tubes and build the rest ducatibrian Axial XR10 9 10-17-2011 05:35 PM
Possible to build an XR10 without buying the kit?? NVUS Axial XR10 25 01-18-2011 07:26 PM