Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Broods or Holmes??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Broods or Holmes??

I've always run Holmes motors and ESC's just due to the fact that I discovered them first and not Eddie over at Brood. Brood has so many types, magnets, and various other motor options that blows my mind!!

I'm considering Holmes Torque Master's in 35T or Brood Apocalypse 35T. Or should I go for 45T in both? Budget on the dual motors is $150 not including shipping by the way....

I don't plan on having the best of the best of things, but I do believe in buying something just once so I don't have to upgrade or buy a replacement later.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Broods or Holmes??

I have ran both motors and really couldn't lean either way. Both are great companies with top notch products. I cant see you going wrong with either choice. I personally run the 16t crawlmasters and love the slow speed control.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Based on your past purchases, I have some recommendations for you. email/ PM your way sir.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Alex, definitely go with 35T motors for your XR. And I have had good results with my Brood CreepHHKs.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I love brood motors myself. Eddie always gives me top notch, unbelievably fast service. I couldn't be happier.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Getting my popcorn. This will be better than the presidential debate. LOL..
Just Kidding..

In my opinion, they are both great motors. For the XR10, 35t on 3s is perfect.
You won't be dissapointed with either of them, for sure.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I don't plan on having the best of the best of things, but I do believe in buying something just once so I don't have to upgrade or buy a replacement later.
If you don't want the best of the best, look elsewhere.

If you don' want to upgrade later, you've found the only two choices.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i have a hh 35t and a team brood 19t , i recently jus blew the team brood motor, only had it mayb 3 months, i have had the hh motor 2 years and have only rebuilt it once, hh motors are better in my opinion, but thats jus me,
jscalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscalecrawler View Post
i have a hh 35t and a team brood 19t , i recently jus blew the team brood motor, only had it mayb 3 months, i have had the hh motor 2 years and have only rebuilt it once, hh motors are better in my opinion, but thats jus me,
What were you running the 19t in? Comparing a 19t to a 35t is like comparing apples to automobiles, especially for a crawler where a 19t has no place.

That said, both companies make very high quality motors. I have had 35t torquemaster's and 35t Apocalypse. At base configuration it is flip a coin, though I am partial to 30t skew armature br00d these days.

I have them in my berg and my soon coming XR build will have a set as well.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I have had both and I recently have switched to Br00d motors and couldn't be happier I run Eddies motors in my xr , berg , mrc and a scx10. When I built my xr I had ravage machine wounds from Eddie and was really great for the price when I had them rebuilt I went to handwound in them and was even better. I now run apocalypse 35t HHK in the berg and vapors 30t in my xr. This is just my .2 though
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I am a Holmes guy myself, but Brood has some good motors as well. Either two are gonna be the top guys to go to for a good motor. I have had great luck with my HH motors and awesome customer service from John. I find it's easier to decide on a good setup with John. It's nothing against EddieO, but I'm not 100% educated just yet on motor design and Eddie's options just confuse the crap outta me. I'm sure once I read up more and learn more about designs it will make more sense. Everyone I run with either is equipped with HH or Brood motors. No complaints from anyone either.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscalecrawler View Post
a team brood 19t
A little birdie has informed me that you were running the 19t on 3s, in a wraith with stock gearing.

No matter who made it, the motor never stood a chance...
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion both are quality motor makers with fast customers service. It comes down to personal choice.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Yup looks like ill be going holmes again. Leaning on John's recommendation on the Team Pro Flow...or stick with another pair of Torque Masters all in 35T.

Anyone tried the new Team Pro Flows?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
A little birdie has informed me that you were running the 19t on 3s, in a wraith with stock gearing.

no i changed my gearing, but it turns out maybe i didnt blow the motor, i defently blew my speed control tho, so dont know about the motor yet, but b4 that happened, the motor was fine with 87t spur and 16t pinion, the little birdie probly told u i was runin 87 and 23, wich i did when i first got it , and after talkin to your little birdie i changed it a bunch of times to get where it woudnt be too hot.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

The HH 35t skewed arms motors are great from John. Super smooth on the low end great drag break and pop on the top end. Their are 3 guys in my club that run the team flow also and love them.

Last edited by jpboy; 11-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.
jpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What were you running the 19t in? Comparing a 19t to a 35t is like comparing apples to automobiles, especially for a crawler where a 19t has no place.

That said, both companies make very high quality motors. I have had 35t torquemaster's and 35t Apocalypse. At base configuration it is flip a coin, though I am partial to 30t skew armature br00d these days.

I have them in my berg and my soon coming XR build will have a set as well.

its in a scx10, i never compared torq or speed of each motor, was jus goin off duribilty, i loved the speed of the 19t tho, i got it jus for fun, never do comps with it
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

wanna hear something funny, my esc is holmes hobbies, lol dont know how the hell i blew it, other then it was in a smaller box then i normally put it in, so i think that did it. :(
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

You will not be dissappointed in either.. I myself am a Holmes guy so that is what I would reccomend.
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I am currently running some Holmes hobbies 4 mag cans, 30t skewed arms, lay down brushes and 10mm coms. I am very happy with the power and wheel speed. The drag brake is good too. I was worried being 4 mag and skewed that the brake would be weak but I have ran these motors for several months and I am extremely happy. Several other guys in my club have picked up very similar motors after seeing my wheel speed and low end control.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote

Broods or Holmes?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aussie Bully now with broods rs10man RC4WD Bully 5 11-29-2011 05:21 AM
Wich broods for my super.. racer_zh Superclass Crawlers 9 06-06-2011 08:37 AM