Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Ant's XR10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ant's XR10 Build

Hey fellas. Ive been on RCC for some time now and before I start I have to thank everyone on here for all the info I have obtained! You guys are legends and have helped me with all sorts of info!

So here it is...

Front Axle:

VP Knuckles
VP C-hubs
VP Motor plate
VP trans case
VP Ti steering rod
VP Servo armour
Robitronics servo horn
Rowdy Racing axle mounted battery plate with custom guard (upgrading to the RR product soon!)
Axial HD spool
More HD gears to come
CVD's to be upgraded also.
BWD motor Savrs

Rear Axle:

VP Lockouts
VP Motor plate
VP trans case
M-R screw mod
Axial HD spool
More HD gears to come
BWD motor Savrs

Chassis & Suspension:

Stock XR10 chassis (will be upgrading shortly)
VP Ti lower bent links
VP Ti Upper bent links
Traxxas Big Bores
Mini - T springs
Shock cap mod also done
Dougs Cups

Wheels:

Switching between stock Axial XR10 wheels (narrowed) with Boss Claws and Axial Rockstar 2.2s with Rovers on them.
VP foams in the BC's
Custom brass wheel weights fitted to XR10 wheels

Electronics:

Dual FXR setup
Team Brood machine wound 45t Intensity motors
Hitec 7955tg servo
Airtronics MT-4
1300mah Lipo

I am still very new to crawling in general but I'm loving the XR10! I do find that when I'm crawling in my usual spot that the boss claws dont give me the same grip as the rovers. However I find switching the tires over between the XR10 wheels to be a nightmare so until I buy some wheels from Tomy (who has been so helpful in my Noobishness) I'm not going to stress too much. I do try not to use the Rockstars too much as they give the truck a crazy wide stance which I do not like!

Front Axle

Never realised how much steering throw I was missing out on until I got this bad boy!

Rear Axle

Running shots

And here is the RTR weight.....yeah she needs a diets BIG TIME which Im hoping the new chassis and wheels will drop a few grams

Im open to any tips you guys can give me as Im still learning alot about crawling! So any advise will be taken on!

Let me know what you think!

Anthony
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ant's XR10 Build

Looking good so far. I know it's strange at first going from the Rover's to a pin tire. They definitely handle different. Try cutting out every third row of pins to help with the hook up or make your own pattern. I know of a few guys in my club that swear pins don't work, but I switched to Rover/Blocks and so far I don't plan on changing them back to my Rovers.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Those servo horns are the shit too, I bought mine a year ago and hammer it bad! still holds up
Good looking XR10
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Nice rig man, how you like them motors, just got a set of the same exact ones last week and just installed them tonight but have not got a chance to see how they work, just ripped around the living room floor to make sure everything worked.
motoj550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

looks like one hell of a start an only thing to update is chasis an links man
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoj550 View Post
Nice rig man, how you like them motors, just got a set of the same exact ones last week and just installed them tonight but have not got a chance to see how they work, just ripped around the living room floor to make sure everything worked.
Yeah they seem really smooth! Previously I ran a pair of Integy 55t until one popped a wind but these seem much nicer.... Considering they were cheaper than the integys!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
looks like one hell of a start an only thing to update is chasis an links man
Thanks man!

I've just bought a chassis from Tomy yesterday so once I get that the fun will start!!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Looking good so far. I know it's strange at first going from the Rover's to a pin tire. They definitely handle different. Try cutting out every third row of pins to help with the hook up or make your own pattern. I know of a few guys in my club that swear pins don't work, but I switched to Rover/Blocks and so far I don't plan on changing them back to my Rovers.
So I've spent most of tonight after work trimming the BCs and I think they've come up alright! I'll try to take the rig out tonight and see how they perform
Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown83 View Post
Thanks man!

I've just bought a chassis from Tomy yesterday so once I get that the fun will start!!
Which chassis did you get? His regular one or the LaaLaa Special? Tomi is a great guy to work with and I'm sure you will be very happy with the quality of his chassis looking forward to seeing it together
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

tomi chasis looks sweet for sure . i have his weight holders an im very happy with them so im sure you will be happy with his chasis
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks good buddy, Try running the claws on the rear and the rovers on the front. We run that combo all the time in Korea and its a pretty awesome combo.

lik
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinkorea View Post
Looks good buddy, Try running the claws on the rear and the rovers on the front. We run that combo all the time in Korea and its a pretty awesome combo.

lik
I'll try that!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post

Which chassis did you get? His regular one or the LaaLaa Special? Tomi is a great guy to work with and I'm sure you will be very happy with the quality of his chassis looking forward to seeing it together
I ended up buying his used chassis from last year. After some discussion with him we decided it would be a better choice than his new stuff as his new ones are designed more for the experienced driver... And last years one may hold up better for a noob like myself.

I'll be buying some of his designed weights through Rcbros shortly and some new wheels from Tomy too. Just waiting for the funds >|
Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

just remember when its bound up just stop an pull it out instead of tring to drive it out . a repo is 5 points an a broke truck cost money an ends the day
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
just remember when its bound up just stop an pull it out instead of tring to drive it out . a repo is 5 points an a broke truck cost money an ends the day
Unfortunately there aren't any comps in my area so it's normally me myself and I when I go out crawling.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So I was able to take the rig out tonight for a pack. I modified the chubs to clock one notch back and it's made a massive difference in vertical pulls.

How many notches can I go back before its not worth it?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Truthfully, its hard to tell, it would benefit more to roll ur front axle back.. its hard to tell in the pics but it looks rolled forward a bit. If you move ur upper links back at the chassis till ur servo is close to level, ur chubs will prolly be clocked back too far then..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Truthfully, its hard to tell, it would benefit more to roll ur front axle back.. its hard to tell in the pics but it looks rolled forward a bit. If you move ur upper links back at the chassis till ur servo is close to level, ur chubs will prolly be clocked back too far then..
So should my servo be close to level then? I noticed its got a fair slope on it but I assumed it was normal???...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I always like a level servo myself.. it will help a good amount. It will also help get ur horn up out of the dirt an hanging up on the rocks as well..

Edit.. did ya get them tires shaved yet? That with rolling ur axle back, you shouldn't have any issues with getting into ur links or shocks with ur inner tire..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

when the servo sits flat is where you want your upper links to be . as far as where is to far to roll the chubs back, look at the truck from the front an you will have to watch an see where the tie rod hangs down . by moveing it to far you will get it[the tierod] where it hangs to low an will hang up on everthing

one hole past what u can get is about all i have heard of people running

Ant's XR10 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ant's XR10! Abrown83 Axial XR10 12 08-29-2012 02:29 AM
first build XR10 salmonarmdingo Axial XR10 6 09-02-2011 11:03 AM
first xr10 build drpuffmd Newbie General 6 07-14-2011 10:59 PM
My XR10 Build jhaggerty Axial XR10 11 06-04-2011 03:13 PM
my xr10 build booher26 Axial XR10 3 02-13-2011 09:47 AM