Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: NCD SuDu Pro Down Under... OB New Pro Build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default NCD SuDu Pro Down Under... OB New Pro Build.

Hey all i been very privledged to be part of Team NCD. A big Thank you first up to Tomi and Douwe for making me part of the team. I now consider these two guys my mates. There are a few Sudo Pro builds happening right now and im lucky enough to get to test one of these new chassis's down here in Australia.

Its going to take a little time as im still gathering parts locally and overseas. First up a big thanks to Team NCD for some testing oppurtunities of LW gear in this rig and to One Ten Crawlers in W.A. for providing me with some of the parts that are going into this. Also to Hulksta Engineering for some new custom parts for this build.

The parts list as of now is
VP GB Cases
VP Motor plates
VP Wraith Knuckles
Vp C's
VP front and rear Upper Link Mounts
RC4WD Gears
HR LW Gears
NCD CF wheels to come
NCD Wraith steering mod
NCD LW Battery Plate
NCD MOA elctronics plate
Alloy Screws throughout
HH Custom 40T Puller 500 with LW options(Thanks JRH)
CC MSW x2
CC Bec
Hitec 7950 servo
CI Duel Stage Clossed Cell foams
Hulksta Custom TI Links
Hulksta TI axels
Hulksta CF Steering components
Hulksta CF Rear Brace
Futaba 4PK

The parts list may grow im sure and theres probably gear i have left out. As i said im still gathering gear but i now have the pototype chassis in lexan as with the other testers and and the new protype low design cab which will be showen at a later date.

As there are a few of these around i figured id start with the base chassis pics as a starting point.

However to begin with as i want this to be as light as i can make it instead of using the delrin cross braces and spacers supplied i use some K&S alloy tube. As i dont have access to a lathe and only basic tools i try to get the most out of what i can buy. If i had a lathe i could do more with the alloy tube.

I had to cur,drill and tap out the tube to the desired lenth to get matching spacers and crossbraces to the delrin.

It turned out to be all worth it. The Delrin parts came in by my scales at 21gm's and the alloy came in at 19 gm's. While its not huge its a start and we all know that all the individual grams add up over the course of the build. I also used alloy screws on the chassis bar 2 which i cant get long enough in straight alloy.

I may be able to take a smidge more out or order some custom alloy cross braces from Dlux though to get the most out of it.

At this stage though its enough for a start. So now to the lightest prototype that i know of so far on RCC weighing in at 49 grams

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 03-10-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: NCD SuDu Pro Down Under... OB New Pro Build.

thats a nice parts list ben, little jelious. cant wait to see it all together
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmith512 View Post
thats a nice parts list ben, little jelious. cant wait to see it all together
Thanks Josh. I cant wait either
Bit lucky with some of the parts as ive had some spares wih my current BWD rig. While this is being built ill still be comping my Wedge so ill be doubling up on some gear.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Your off to a good start with that nice partlist Oz I'll be following your progress with interest ...
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
E.Y. Designs

Looks great! I'll be watching this thread closely I'm looking forward to seeing how this chassis performs
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

great start Ben! looking forward to seeing a finished product!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haastnooit View Post
Your off to a good start with that nice partlist Oz I'll be following your progress with interest ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
Looks great! I'll be watching this thread closely I'm looking forward to seeing how this chassis performs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckImod View Post
great start Ben! looking forward to seeing a finished product!
Thanks guys. A few more parts arived yestetday. Traxxas alloy balls and a top up of alloy screws from fasteners express. Over the weekend ill make a start on the axels putting in the good bits. Though im still waiting on a few VP upgrades. At our comp to ill hopefully grab some parts of Hulksta too

Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
RCC Addict

No new updates as such as im still waiting for some parts to arive.

However i thought id share some wheel designs i have designed in style for NCD. A big thanks to both Douwe and Tomi for assissting me with the Cad drawings of my designs. One of the following designs will be by new wheels for this rig

The range of wheels are called the "Cyclone G" series of wheels, depending on the number of spokes chosen will dictate the the desigation of Cyclone. The spokes can be chossen in 3, 4, 5 or 6 spoke

IE a G5 Cyclone is a 5 Spoke.

Here are some pics of the cad designs so far. There are two variations iof the 4 spoke and it can be applied to the other designs for a different look. There is a 6 spoke option also. The can be made in beadlock or glue on style. For these style and more contact Tomi at NCD for details.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

More parts arived today from One Ten Crawlers in WA Australia, Thanks Stew and Cam to compliment what i already have.

Just waiting on motors to be ready from Holmes Hobbies and Ti to arive for Hulksta Links to be created.

Built the rear axel up the other night. Now sporting XR LW HR Gears. VP rear motor plate has had some weight reduction done. Alloy screws now through out the axel and sporting a Hulksta Engineering rear CF 4 point brace. Rear Vp Upper link mounts i scored of a mate Rock Mafia at our comp. They are yet to be added along with replacement of the VP rear lockouts for factory Axial plastic lockouts.

Over the coming weekend and up to Easter i hope to build up the front axel and look at the electrics.

Ill update pics i have later on at one time.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Looking good so far! I'm interested to see the CF steering components!

Jake
Jakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
Looking good so far! I'm interested to see the CF steering components!

Jake
Thanks Jake.

Ill get some pics up soon for these components.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Over the last couple if nights i have built up my front and rear axels. Im happy with the outcome on the rear's but i need improvment i feel on the fronts.

In the rear i have used HR LW gears, lightened/dremelled VP motor plate, stock Axial gear box housings, VP rear upper link mounts, Hulksta Ti axels, Axial plastic lockouts, Hulksta CF 4 point rear brace and all alloy hardware. Im happy with the weight at this point.

On the fronts ill update shortly as i just found a mate thats happy to drill out the RC4WD gears i have.

However im looking at RC4WD gears drilled out with a VP motor plate. Undecided on a plastic gear box housing or stay with the VP ones i have. VP upper link mounts, stock Axial cvds ,again possibly plastic C's or VP C's, NCD Ultra LW battery plate, NCD MOA lexan electrnics mount, VP Wraith Knuckes,Hulksta CF sterring and drag link arns, NCD Wraith steering mods and all alloy hardware again. Other possible parts will be an alloy or cf NDC servo mount and and NCD knuckle weights as required once built.

Thats it for now on the front axel until is further finalised.

I have also built my scx shocks with until testing is done 30w oil with silver Losi MRC springs all round with NCD spring retainers.

Attached Images

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 03-23-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I started my Easter Holiday Long Weekend early this week and took a day off A/L. So with no Mrs and kids around i could get stuck into my re do of my front axel.

One of my crawling mates Paul i was talking to he other day and just in general chit chat he kindly offered to drill my RC4WD front gears for me. so i jumped at the chance.

With the gears he drilled he was able to take 16g out of the gears so as they started out with all gears in the gear set at 70g they now down to 56g. The holes as you will notice are not perfect but as i didnt have the tools to drill myslf im not complaining.

I also sourced of another mate a spare plastic gearbox housing and gear and motor cover plates. I decided as i have run my BWD XR Wedge over the last few years with the same setup i would do the same with the SuDu Pro build and save extra weight.

VP gearbox and housings and bearings

Stock gearbox cover and bearings

One final step i have taken and is easy to reverse is swap back to the plastic Axial C's over the VP C's. As everythign is lightweight and i ran my BWD XR Wedge in the early days as a heavy weight rig with plastic C's i dont see any reason not to do with a lighterweight rig that should have less stress due to less weight. I made saving again.
VP C

Axial C

Finally from an original weight with the front axel built at 288g im now down to 249g with the same essential components although the materials have changed.

Original weight with steel hardware and VP alloy componentry and stock axial gears

New weight with Drilled RC4WD gears, alloy hardware and Axial plastic components

Finally with Everetts designed NCD Ultra light weight battery mount and alloy screws and nuts added for lower shock mounting i ownly gained a few grams

Im still waiting on a NCD CF Servo mount and the NCD Wraith steerig kit so there may be a few subtle changes oevrall.

Now im essentially waiting on the Ti to arive to Dan at Hulksta Engineering so i can get the chassis and axels to him for my custom links.

Im also waiting on the motors to be finallised from John at HH.

I think ill wait until the links are installed to do the electrics so i can optimise my positioning and only use the needed wire for wiring and sorting out the CC Bec and Servo.

If i need to add weight back in i can tune with NCD Knuckle weights and adding steel hardware if required.

The new wheels are in the mail as we i type so i may go out next and shave some Boss Claws

Ben
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

If my mate drilled the gears and gave them back like that, all uneven, he would be keeping them for himself and replacimg them with new ones. there's even two holes that ware way to close. I wouldn't trust that gear at all.

Theses holes would be rather easy to mark out before drilling. A nice big centre punch mark would ensure it stays on line. Could have even slowly stepped up drill sizes to avoid this happening
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #15
RCC Addict

That's an impressive weight saving on the front axle compared to the old setup!
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by filotr14lsdude View Post
If my mate drilled the gears and gave them back like that, all uneven, he would be keeping them for himself and replacimg them with new ones. there's even two holes that ware way to close. I wouldn't trust that gear at all.

Theses holes would be rather easy to mark out before drilling. A nice big centre punch mark would ensure it stays on line. Could have even slowly stepped up drill sizes to avoid this happening
At the end of the day my mate Paul did the job for nothing and as i didnt have the tools to do the job i was happy to let Paul drill for me. He did tell me the drill did wander and was unintentional off course. As i said i was happy with the help as prior to this it was just going to be undrilled. He drilled and did his own gears also and has used them in comps and touchwood they have held and yes they did wander on his own.

Worst case ill replace the gears if they fail. Ater testing who knows i may want weight back in the front axel as i can add weight there in smaller increaments than i can with Knuckle wights.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
That's an impressive weight saving on the front axle compared to the old setup!
Thanks Tomi
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Well Thursdsy all round turned into a pretty good day for me. I had it off for starters as was my Wife and i's 5th Wedding Aniversary. It was also our kids Easter Hat Parade at their child care centre which we got to enjoy with them and had a great seafood lunch for our aniversary and when we got home sitting on the front steps was a package from Tomi at NCD Headquarters

It was some goodies and upgrades for both rigs. In this case the NCD Wraith steering parts and my new glue on cf G4 Cyclone wheels. Im very happy with these wheels as i designed myself for NCD and with a combibation of help from Douwe and Tomi via the CAD abd manurfacture.

Weighing in at between 12g and 13g with alloy hardware and no hubs yet. Hubs will be finslissed when its built and tested.

Im pretty happy with the result as they are nealy 30g a cnr lighter than my current setup with my original NCD CF beadlocks and same tyre/foam combination on my BWD XR Wedge.

Now i just have to go back to waiting for the final components to get this rig finished and on the rocks

Ben.

Attached Images

Last edited by Oz Bruiser; 03-28-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Looking great Ben!
BuckImod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Those turned out great Ben!!! Nice wheels..
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote

NCD SuDu Pro Down Under... OB New Pro Build. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LaaLaa's NCD SuDu Pro-totype laalaa Axial XR10 124 06-12-2014 02:59 PM
SuDu Pro Slow build thread douwe Axial XR10 81 06-23-2013 07:57 AM
Some runs of my NCD SuDu one at purmerend douwe Videos! 0 01-29-2013 03:38 AM
NCD SuDu one crawler douwe Videos! 2 11-28-2012 02:36 PM