Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles "Please read the first post

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles "Please read the first post

Hi everyone

I feel horribly embarrassed to report that I have unintentionally misslead you into thinking you are buying a steering kit with 70 degrees of steering throw.

I was using a tool for measuring degrees but didn't use it right and this led me to think the steering throw was indeed 70 degrees. A 70 degree steering throw would be incredible. I got blinded by the amazing figure and forgot to use my brains as I was too excited to bring this kit out to you.

Today I painfully realized my mistake. Especially considering that I've already shipped out 15 of these kits to you. I have now measured the throw a hundred times to make sure I get it right and it looks as if you can get a 56 degree steering throw with the parts that I've sent out. As I have no idea what you get with stock parts, I can't tell if this is an improvement over stock. But it is far from 70 and as far as I understand it will be very difficult if not impossible to ever reach that amount of usable throw.

I did try a redesigned steering plate to see if that would increase the throw. It did but it also messed up the Ackerman geometry resulting in the outer wheel turning much more in a turn.

With the steering plates that I've sent out, it is possible to increase the throw to 58 degrees by using slightly longer spacers than what I've included with the kit. The spacers included are 7mm long and by using 10mm long spacers you can have the 58 degrees throw. 58 degrees will create all sorts of clearance issues with your shocks, lower links, servo and battery.

So the fact is that I have sold you something based on missleading information. Please believe me when I say that this was never my intention. I was mistaken with the measuring tool and feel like a total idiot right now.

To make things right I am offering everyone that bought the kit a full refund if you find that it does not meet your expectations. I would like to suggest you wait till you have got the kit and installed it. If you don't get the increase in performance you were wishing for, just send me a PM and I will refund. If you want a refund, make sure you include your full name as that will make it easier for me to find your transaction in my Paypal listing.

If you want to keep the kit but would like to try it with longer spacers for the 58 degrees throw, please send me a pm with your address and I will send you a set of spacers free of charge.

I will be away for a comp tomorrow so I won't be able to answer any messages during the day. I should be back in the evening and will get back to anyone who has contacted me then.

Once again, I'm horribly sorry for the mess and false expectations that I've created and hope you accept my sincere apology. I do hope I will manage to make things right with all of you.

Tomi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I noticed Jake has achieved impressive steering throw on his new comp rig using Wraith knuckles.

If there is interest I could put together a kit that would give you a comparable steering throw to what Jake's rig now have.

This is a pic of my rig and I believe the steering throw is very similar.

The kit would work together with VP Wraith knuckles and include:

• 2 aluminum steering arms that replace the stock steering arms (the stock ones are too short)
  • 1 titanium straight tie rod, 4mm OD, M4 thread for Traxxas Revo rod ends
  • 2 black delrin or aluminum spacers that place the tierod at the correct height in between the motor and the axle case
If you are interested, post here and feel free to add any thoughts or ideas to develop this further.

Tomi

Last edited by Harley; 07-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles

Do you have any ax10 axles to mock arms up on? I'd think with all the sporty builds and SDS's new axles, this would be a great addition.

I know I could use arms for my short xr modded ax10 axles. The ones I made are an embarrassment lol
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Try to Bend it

Erin, an XR10 tierod from Chaotic will work with the AX to Wraith steering mod.

Tomy, I would be keen on a set.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Do you have any ax10 axles to mock arms up on? I'd think with all the sporty builds and SDS's new axles, this would be a great addition.

I know I could use arms for my short xr modded ax10 axles. The ones I made are an embarrassment lol
A kit for AX10 modded XR10 c-hub/Wraith knuckle axles sounds like a good idea too. As of yet I have not done that mod myself, so I don't have any measurements to work from. Therefore, I'm afraid, this is something I can't do on a short notice.

But if all you need right now is a set of custom steering arms, I believe I can help you. If you've got the dimensions of the steering arms you need, please PM me and we can talk more.

Tomi
Old 06-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

another great idea

have you got a pic from the bottom and a close pic of the steering arm ?
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Here are a few pics on what I've been running for the past three months.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Seems like a great idea, steering plates kit for sure would be nice.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i would in for a kit if it not to much.
muddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Guarenteed Id buy it.

Awesome idea Love the things you come up with
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Great work again Tomi.

I am going to wraith knuckles as you know and would be keen on a set for sure
jakesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Nice idea, I might be keen. I'll be in touch to re other bits and pieces we have discussed. Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I am in. What castor you are running in the picture?
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

PayPal ready for 2 sets
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

PM sent re this and other bits
Oz Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I would consider for the right price!!!
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
RCC Addict

great idea to offer this up in a kit
rcjunky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

???, Is this not an option with a mod'ed XR-10 steering arm???
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
I am in. What castor you are running in the picture?
I'm running as much castor as you can without modifying the VP knuckles and C-hubs.

I was trying to get an accurate measuring of the steering throw in degrees. Just so you know what to expect and that I don't promise too much. In this picture it looks as if the exact reading of the steering throw is 68 degrees. I think it is safe to promise +65 degrees steering. How does that sound to you? Does it offer any improvement over VP XR10 knuckles?

To be able to use the steering throw effectively you will most likely have to do some minor grinding to your front driveshafts to have them spin smoother at full throw. Even after grinding, there will still be some "hacking" during the revolution of the wheel. But I believe this is due to the joint (sorry, I don't have the right words in English) design of the driveshaft as the joint changes the speed of the axle stub during the revolution. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

This is what I have done to my driveshafts. You don't need to take the driveshafts apart to do this.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Try to Bend it

Tomy, If you did offer an AX to Wraith Kit this is the kind of steering they could achieve and more.

This setup uses VP wraith Knuckles and arms and a bent CC tierod for the XR10. A small spacer (~2mm) is required at one end to acheive the right length eye 2 eye with Revo rod ends. This setup was taken from JeremyH's Build and it works extremely well and allows for varied degrees of castor. I did try it with VP XR10 steering arms but found them to be too long and hard to set up right. HTH
Attached Images

Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
RCC Addict

That is impressive steering!!!

Will probably have to do that to my sons Sportsman rig.

Max Steering Throw Kit for XR10's using Wraith knuckles "Please read the first post - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AX10 BTA Steering Kit for VP Knuckles Gear Head RC Axles, Trannys, T-case 12 06-07-2011 02:06 PM
TLT Super-Max Clearance Steering Knuckles! pigeonfarmboy RCP Crawlers 13 03-23-2009 09:25 PM