Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: ESC Fan Shuts Down (BEC issue?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #1

Default ESC Fan Shuts Down (BEC issue?)

I have an odd issue with my 10 A CC BEC installation. BEC was wired per the Castle multi-cell pack diagram. When I connected the packs (2S 5000 mah), everything boots and seems normal. Throttle and steering servo work fine. However, I noticed that the ESC fan is not operating which it was before BEC installation. Connecting the pack with the free negative lead first, the servo wakes up; connecting the second pack boots the ESC and the fan comes on but shuts down after about 10 seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mati
MatiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ESC Fan Shuts Down (BEC issue?)

The fan only comes on when you power it up, and when the temp hits 180ish on the esc. or if you have no signal to esc.it dose not run all the time..
bill c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Thanks Bill. I suspected that the fan might be thermostated but could not find any confirmation anywhere. I only got the Yeti a couple of weeks ago and just did not notice how the fan was behaving until now.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiR View Post
I have an odd issue with my 10 A CC BEC installation. BEC was wired per the Castle multi-cell pack diagram. When I connected the packs (2S 5000 mah), everything boots and seems normal. Throttle and steering servo work fine. However, I noticed that the ESC fan is not operating which it was before BEC installation. Connecting the pack with the free negative lead first, the servo wakes up; connecting the second pack boots the ESC and the fan comes on but shuts down after about 10 seconds. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mati

After reading your description of how you plug you Batts, something sdoes not sound right. You should not have any signs of life until that second battery gets plugged in.

See this thread before you blow your $#!+ up:

XL smoking plugging in 2nd 3S battery
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

When you plug the first battery in which the bec installed the servo would move because you by passed the RX power second battery now powers up everything else. The fans are temp control if it wasn't it would run constantly. Lots of good wiring threads out there but everyone burns something up once and awhile that's how we learn lol
Gso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the additional comments. I did read the "XL Smoking..." thread so I took extra care and am wired exactly like the Castle "Properly Wired" schematic with the ESC red lead disconnected. BEC is set to 7.4 V for the 7950TH which is working with noticeable authority. Had the Yeti running about 20 minutes today and nothing got hot or smoky.

M.

ESC Fan Shuts Down (BEC issue?) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESC BEC issue, help please Josh_Br Electronics 10 09-10-2012 08:02 AM
ESC and CC BEC issue david_387 Electronics 9 11-04-2010 08:36 AM
BEC/ESC-- Issue. dirk379 Electronics 7 09-29-2010 11:46 AM