Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Helical pinion and spur?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Helical pinion and spur?

Anyone running a helical pinion and spur?
Pilot-Werx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Helical pinion and spur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Werx View Post
Anyone running a helical pinion and spur?
I'm getting ready to
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

This thing sound like a bag of rocks... Also thinking belt?
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

We are gonna look back and laugh at the irony of this thread .....
Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I hope so!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Granger from Deadloc was running helical pinion and spur on his rig Saturday night (SCX10). The rig was almost silent. 48P with a brushed motor is not going to make much noise, but it noticeably more quiet than normal. I can't seem to find an 32P helical pinion and spurs on ebay.

I asked him to start making 32P for the YXL...and TAs, and diffs, and axles, axle housings, cages, shock mounts, bulk heads, chassis, bumpers, uppers, motor mounts, tranny, diff covers, lockouts, lockers, screws, drivers, light bars, tire mounts, outdrives, drives shafts, wheel hexes, bead locks.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Did some crawling tonight and talked to Granger from Deadloc (local company that's making some sweet axles, wheels, gears, etc.). Helical gears wouldn't be a good idea for the pinion and spur on the YXL. Minor loss of power, bearing wear, etc. etc. They would also be pretty hard to make 32 pitch apparently. I tune out during engineer talk so I don't know all the details there.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I wonder why they use helical gear on 1/5 center differential?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Ask him about a mod 1 or 1.5 conversion for the XL.. That would be a great option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Did some crawling tonight and talked to Granger from Deadloc (local company that's making some sweet axles, wheels, gears, etc.). Helical gears wouldn't be a good idea for the pinion and spur on the YXL. Minor loss of power, bearing wear, etc. etc. They would also be pretty hard to make 32 pitch apparently. I tune out during engineer talk so I don't know all the details there.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I wonder why they use helical gear on 1/5 center differential?
I think you mean Front and Rear diff. My 1/5 Redcat Chimera has Heli F/R diffs. I know the Losi 5 has Stright cut F/C/R. Either way the Redcat has held up to 6200w and the 5t with 16s with that monstrosity of the Castle 2028 BHB has.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Ask him about a mod 1 or 1.5 conversion for the XL.. That would be a great option
I'm waiting for someone to put a 1/5 Center diff in. Would solve so many issues and be tune able. If I had the time and knowledge I would do it.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I think helical is kind of a buzz word.

I'll ask him about a conversion to mod 1.

I would like to see a new rear axle with more support for the pinion bearings. Something like Dlux's AR60s that allow for large bearings on the drive shaft. GIANT bearings that would make us dedicated Yeti XL fanatics laugh in the general direction of the stockers. Drive shafts and wheels that aren't made from the same plastic as my daughter's Malibu Barbie Corvette would be nice too.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I would like to see a new rear axle with more support for the pinion bearings. Something like Dlux's AR60s that allow for large bearings on the drive shaft. GIANT bearings that would make us dedicated Yeti XL fanatics laugh in the general direction of the stockers. Drive shafts and wheels that aren't made from the same plastic as my daughter's Malibu Barbie Corvette would be nice too.

His AR60 axles looked decent. I couldn't find if they were compatible with Axial gears or not, would accept VP chubs etc but look well machined. He needs pics of them unassembled.

Personally, if a narrowed Kraken Vekta 5 axle were made in the $250-275 range ready for gears, bearings, axles etc I would be all over that.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
His AR60 axles looked decent. I couldn't find if they were compatible with Axial gears or not, would accept VP chubs etc but look well machined. He needs pics of them unassembled.

Personally, if a narrowed Kraken Vekta 5 axle were made in the $250-275 range ready for gears, bearings, axles etc I would be all over that.
I hear you. I need over and under in mine so buying with gears seems like a waste to me. He had a pair of the wraith/bomber (AR60) axles at the event Saturday night and they are really sick in person. Crazy butter smooth. He said that he will eventually be offering the housing as a stand alone. A few of the guys are running his wheels and they're noice.

I also pointed him to some of the Yeti XL wheels in the vendor/tire forum here. Noting that YXL drivers like to jump high and land hard so we need beefy wheels that don't weigh a ton. He's going to look at doing his Brute wheels in 40 series.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Granger from Deadloc was running helical pinion and spur on his rig Saturday night (SCX10). The rig was almost silent. 48P with a brushed motor is not going to make much noise, but it noticeably more quiet than normal. I can't seem to find an 32P helical pinion and spurs on ebay.
I just ordered one of the helical spur and pinion sets today (and I got a shipping notice just two hours later ). I'm a little hesitant to go back to 48p gears but helicals should be stronger and these look a bit wider to boot.

Name:  helical_spur_and_pinion_large.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  19.9 KB
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

That spur and pinion is for a scx10, and is The same as in then Boomracing pineapple steel gearset which is great for an scx, I am using this complete gearset in the scx and is really quiet and fine. But is not going to work with a yeti xl because the spur is made out Delrin and the pinion is hard anodised it wouldn't last 10 seconds....
Sjonnie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie82 View Post
That spur and pinion is for a scx10, and is The same as in then Boomracing pineapple steel gearset which is great for an scx, I am using this complete gearset in the scx and is really quiet and fine. But is not going to work with a yeti xl because the spur is made out Delrin and the pinion is hard anodised it wouldn't last 10 seconds....
Oops, I just now realized this is the thread for the dreaded Yeti XL, but it's the only mention of the Deadloc helical spur and pinion anywhere. This will be going in my Wraithzilla with the old scx10-style slipper. And according to both the Deadloc and Boomracing sites, the spur is steel. If this works out I'll do a proper write-up under a more relevant forum.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

The spur is Delrin, not steel... the pinion maybe steel. But THE quality is good!

Last edited by Sjonnie82; 09-24-2016 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sjonnie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
Oops, I just now realized this is the thread for the dreaded Yeti XL, but it's the only mention of the Deadloc helical spur and pinion anywhere. This will be going in my Wraithzilla with the old scx10-style slipper. And according to both the Deadloc and Boomracing sites, the spur is steel. If this works out I'll do a proper write-up under a more relevant forum.
I just replaced the transmission in my son's SCX-10 with the Deadloc helical gears. I used the Deadloc aluminum transmission case to hold them all. All the gears are metal, including the spur and pinion. The mesh is perfect and they're silky smooth. The slipper slipped too much, even when I cranked down on it. I added some washer on top of the spring and seems to be holding. I may just lock the slipper. He's getting pretty good at crawling so I may just lock the slipper.

We'll give them a good testing this weekend.

Still trying to get Deadloc to make a real rear axle for the YXL. No progress though. He had some sweet shocks that will fit the YXL, I don't know when they'll be for sale though.

Helical pinion and spur? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helical ring and pinion gears sets with an offset pinion? Calderwood General Crawlers 6 09-14-2013 09:06 PM
Spur and pinion diggrr11972 Axial Wraith 7 04-04-2012 08:45 PM
Pinion and spur chevy9534 Axial Wraith 3 01-05-2012 07:48 PM
spur/pinion??? armycrawler101st Newbie General 3 11-06-2010 05:22 PM
Spur and Pinion vinster888 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 02-22-2010 10:12 PM