Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Alloy front bulkhead for XL....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

Default Alloy front bulkhead for XL....

I noticed that HotRacing is going to release an Alloy front bulkhead for the XL.

Was wondering if anyone here may possibly have ties to them or a contact that may reveal how soon they may release it? They've not responded to my inquiries.

I've stripped front gears for the second time on my XL and I’m confident that with a proper mesh and gear set-up with an Alloy gear case,,, it’ll probably never happen again or greatly reduce its chances of happening.

I’m a firm believer that if the gears and can stay in place and maintain proper mesh and etc, then they don’t strip or break as easy. I had proved this with a few other RC trucks and buggies I had over the years with good diff cases and etc. It’s worth it regardless of weight gain and etc.

Anyway, I’ve got all the parts to build up a complete stock front gear case with a new plastic housing, but I wanted to wait to see if HotRacing was on the verge of maybe releasing they’re new Alloy case and I’d wait a bit. I didn’t want to keep my Yeti XL down for to long. But I know the minute I get it running with the stock parts to fix me up, the Upgrade will get released shortly after that with my luck!
MachLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Alloy front bulkhead for XL....

Throttle control
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have had experience with Hot Racing and their customer support. It does not exist.. LOL. But at least the build quality on their parts has improved. There is a big difference in the quality from when I owned an Axial Exo Terra to the parts I have seen for the 1/10th and 1/8th yeti.

I too have had better results using an aluminum bulkhead with Axial products. The plastic Axial uses just has too much flex. I purchased GPM aluminum bulkhead for my EXO along with an aluminum diff case and Axial Scorpion gears. I did this because my EXO Terra had issues with premature wear on the diff gears and pinion. after these upgrades it permormed like a champ with no issues no matter how I drove it..

I don't agree that you should be bound to baby the throttle. I understand nothing holds up well for long on 6s but this beast should hold up on 4s.

I have owned over 30 RC's over the past twenrty years and never had a problem with drivetrain on any of them except Axial. No matter how I punched the throttle. All of my electric rigs were brushless.

Don't get me wrong, I love Axials amazing scale and engineering talents. But let's be honest, Axial products have to be overhauled with aluminum upgrades for optimal function. No one runs stock Axial rigs at crawing events...

But back on topic. I sent HR a request for release as well with no response.
BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #4

If the slipper gear isnt....the shock load on the driveline parts is increased. I read the stock spur is galling and would cause a loss of slip. Ordered the HR hardened spur with some robinson gears to play with.
chewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #5

Wood a better bulkhead keep the mesh tighter, I'm on my 2nd r/p with fresh bearings an now Hav sounds in the front diff that they Hav stripped again after 2, 4s battery runs...
redlabelgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlabelgarage View Post
Wood a better bulkhead keep the mesh tighter, I'm on my 2nd r/p with fresh bearings an now Hav sounds in the front diff that they Hav stripped again after 2, 4s battery runs...
That happened to me too. On my second 4s run I experienced clicking in the front so I disassembled and saw uneven wear. I called axial and they have sent me a new set of gears and new plastic bulkhead. While waiting I put everything back together with old gears and no clicking whatsoever from the front diff. What I think is I may not have had the four screws that sandwich the bulkhed together tight enough. I was worried to crank them down during the first assembly because fast eddy said its easy to strip out Axial plastics. The 2nd time I really cranked those screws down and it fixed the problem. I suppose it pushed the diff closer to the pinion. I have run mine four times on the old gears and no problem at all. Take it apart and check everthing well.

But back to your question. The idea is that an aluminum bulkhead will eliminate plastic flex. I plan to use an aluminum bulkhead and aluminum diff housing once they are available. I am going to wait and install the new gears axial sent me when I use the aluminum bits.

Last edited by BobTeagle; 03-18-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

After finishing the majority of my build on my XL and mid rebuild on my 1/10 Yeti I would have to agree the front needs a major redesign. Look at the strength of the rear axle on the xl and the difference in the front. The rear is very robust and rigid, the front is a totally different material and leaves much room for flex in it, either upon acceleration or deceleration, or with something like a hard landing while on the gas or brake. The pinion can't stay in alignment from what I can tell. Perhaps to do with the diff housing as well, but if the rear axle isn't having that issue as a majority I'd tend to not think so.

I'd hope that a alum box will hold it all in alignment. But we have to hope the quality of fit is there as well. I will be getting a alum housing for my 1/10 and if I have the same issues with my xl I will do the same if the part is available.

It's just to common of a issue to just be poor alignment settings.
Onewheelsqueel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTeagle View Post
That happened to me too. On my second 4s run I experienced clicking in the front so I disassembled and saw uneven wear. I called axial and they have sent me a new set of gears and new plastic bulkhead. While waiting I put everything back together with old gears and no clicking whatsoever from the front diff. What I think is I may not have had the four screws that sandwich the bulkhed together tight enough. I was worried to crank them down during the first assembly because fast eddy said its easy to strip out Axial plastics. The 2nd time I really cranked those screws down and it fixed the problem. I suppose it pushed the diff closer to the pinion. I have run mine four times on the old gears and no problem at all. Take it apart and check everthing well.

But back to your question. The idea is that an aluminum bulkhead will eliminate plastic flex. I plan to use an aluminum bulkhead and aluminum diff housing once they are available. I am going to wait and install the new gears axial sent me when I use the aluminum bits.
Does this new plastic bulkhead Hav a new part number? Thanks in advance
redlabelgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlabelgarage View Post
Does this new plastic bulkhead Hav a new part number? Thanks in advance
Axial Racing - Yeti
fornowagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornowagain View Post
ax31052
Old 04-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Has anyone heard anything ? I'm waiting on this bulkhead to build my kit
mushroom281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'd suggest staying away from anything HR. Especially if you expect it to be an upgrade from the stock nylon.

Invest in some red loctite and thicker diff fluid and build it
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Hot racing has upped their standards a lot . I've been very impressed with all the stuff I've gotten from them lately. Yeah, 2 years ago but not today
Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Lol k

Cause the absolute last thing I'd want up front is more weight.

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 04-13-2015 at 07:47 PM.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

If a few Oz's makes a glass poorly designed diff and bulkhead stronger then I can put up with a little weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Lol k

Cause the absolute last thing I'd want up front is more weight.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #16

I saw in eBay last night that hot racing is selling the aluminum front bulkhead. It didn't say anything about it being a preorder or anything which leads me to believe it's available now
Mr.Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Can't find it for looking, do you have a link? Still listed on their main site as YEX0801 $0.00.
fornowagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Probably for the small yeti the one they have listed isn't the bulkhead. We want the gear case
Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

It's not out yet. What hot racing called the bulkhead is the front top plate. It'll be a while before we see one. It was a year after the Yeti RTR was released before a alloy front gear box showed up.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
It's not out yet. What hot racing called the bulkhead is the front top plate. It'll be a while before we see one. It was a year after the Yeti RTR was released before a alloy front gear box showed up.
I messaged Dhawk Racing through Ebay about a month ago asking if they had plans to mak one. They replied and asked for the Axial part number for the plastic one. I sent it to them and they are working on an aluminum front gear case or "bulkhead" as axial calls it now.

It might help speed things up if others messaged Dhawk as well. It is easy to do through ebay.

Alloy front bulkhead for XL.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big bearing front bulkhead GIVE AWAY!! Erik D_lux Chit Chat 90 01-08-2015 09:51 AM
Front Bulkhead Redesign relay1 Axial Yeti XL 2 12-27-2014 01:08 PM
Front bulkhead warped?? Aebous Axial Yeti 3 10-03-2014 08:48 AM