Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Dhawk Shock Caps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dhawk Shock Caps

Thought I would share my thoughts on the Dhawk shock caps. They are perfect in every way! the machine quality of the dhawk stuff has really impressed me!

I wanted to keep the scale look of the fake Icon piggy backs As you will see in the pics. I just took a dremel and cut off the upper portion of the plastic icon shock caps. They are essentially a treaded ring now that just screws down low enough to install the dhawk cap.

BobTeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Dhawk Shock Caps

Old 04-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Looks good, didn't occur to me I could do that! What are you running rear spring? Looks like stock top, but lower looks very large/spaced.
Damnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnir View Post
Looks good, didn't occur to me I could do that! What are you running rear spring? Looks like stock top, but lower looks very large/spaced.
Actually it is stock long rear springs with short springs from front on the rear.

In front I am running stock long and hpi baja 5b medium short springs.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Where did you get the rear shock mount covers/upgrades?
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Where did you get the rear shock mount covers/upgrades?
Ebay. Dhawk and GPM sell these.

Aluminum Rear Shock Mount Cage For Axial Yeti XL 90032 Dhawk Racing

Last edited by BobTeagle; 04-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Bob, thanks for responding.

How are you mounting the shock on the rear at the top with that additional plate? I have them as well, and those holes do not line up with anything, so they must just be a button head threaded through the plate, then a nut on the back after the shock is slid on?

Am I missing something??

Did you grab the lower Dhawk shock retainers? What's your opinion on quality?

I ordered a sway bar set from the kit for a friend of mine, thought I'd try and mount it to the front of my truck, but it's not possible. Never thought to try it before installation, too lazy to take it all apart for nothing.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Bob, thanks for responding.

How are you mounting the shock on the rear at the top with that additional plate? I have them as well, and those holes do not line up with anything, so they must just be a button head threaded through the plate, then a nut on the back after the shock is slid on?

Am I missing something??

Did you grab the lower Dhawk shock retainers? What's your opinion on quality?

I ordered a sway bar set from the kit for a friend of mine, thought I'd try and mount it to the front of my truck, but it's not possible. Never thought to try it before installation, too lazy to take it all apart for nothing.
You are correct. I just used a long button head with a nut. Works great!

Yes I did get the lower shock retainers as well. The caps, adj spring collars, and lower retainers are a work of art! Very nice hard anodized finish.

Hot racing has a front sway bar on thier website for the XL. My only issue with it is the red anodized color lol.

Did you get your a arm issue resolved?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTeagle View Post
You are correct. I just used a long button head with a nut. Works great!

Yes I did get the lower shock retainers as well. The caps, adj spring collars, and lower retainers are a work of art! Very nice hard anodized finish.

Hot racing has a front sway bar on thier website for the XL. My only issue with it is the red anodized color lol.

Did you get your a arm issue resolved?
I called Hobby Services yesterday, waited on hold for 40 mins, hung up. Placed an order with TowerHobbies, should have it by the end of the week. I'd rather just spend $15 than spend 2 hours on the phone.

I wonder where Dhawk is having those pieces sourced.. 90% of what they offer is the same as GPM, but there is nothing listed by GPM for these items. Can usually get a better deal on the GPM parts via Asiatees.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I called Hobby Services yesterday, waited on hold for 40 mins, hung up. Placed an order with TowerHobbies, should have it by the end of the week. I'd rather just spend $15 than spend 2 hours on the phone.

I wonder where Dhawk is having those pieces sourced.. 90% of what they offer is the same as GPM, but there is nothing listed by GPM for these items. Can usually get a better deal on the GPM parts via Asiatees.
Not sure on the affiliation. I agree several parts look similar. I remember reading that Dhawk makes the parts for GPM. I contacted Dhawk though ebay a while back and asked if they had plans for an aluminum front bulkhead. Dhawk responded and said they had not considered it but since I asked they would make them! I guess that makes them more than a distributor.

Anyway these were the best choice for aluminum caps for me. The caps, adj collars, and lower retainers only cost me $60 for all 4. The hot racing piggybacks are $98 for a full set and are red. Not a fan of red aluminum hop ups
Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Hey Bob. When u build the shocks with the dhawk caps do u bleed the air out using the bleeder hole? Do the kit icons have bladders? If so i assume you remove those when putting on these caps.
Priv Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Stock icons do not have bladders, they have ring seal. The Dhawk caps come with ring seals as well.

Dhawk Shock Caps - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock caps? OTHGbronco82 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 36 03-28-2015 10:23 AM
Shock caps OKJeepin Axial SCX-10 2 02-23-2012 02:34 AM
Shock caps!! gac1983 Venom Creeper 13 05-16-2011 08:38 PM
shock caps asw27x Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 06-14-2010 07:51 PM