Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Pham's nissandriver24 - VP Tekin Fully Loaded Yeti XL Kit - New Adventture with FPV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Pham's nissandriver24 - VP Tekin Fully Loaded Yeti XL Kit - New Adventture with FPV

So to start things off it has been a long while since I have posted anything on here let alone a new build thread. I know pretty much everyone knows what a Yeti XL or Yeti XL Kit looks like so I don't want to bore people with a step by step build thread. I'm just going to go straight to the Juicy part, finished pictures

To give you guys some insight, I have been building this Yeti XL Kit for some time now, it was a slow pace build as I have been busy with U4 racing and FPV Quad racing (Attending to the country first national FPV Drone Race next week). I love my 1/10 Yeti so it was a no brainer to get the XL. At first I bought a RTR but wanted to build my own so I sold it for the Kit version. Rather than just build another car that just drive, I figured that this rig would be the perfect candidate as a FPV rig. So then it started.

Outfitted the Yeti XL with only the best electronics money can buy. First the power plant with the one and only TEKIN RX8 Gen2 ESC paired up with the T8 Gen2 Truggy 1550kv Brushless Motor the best combo you can get for this Yeti XL, steering the monster wheels is done with one of the baddest servo on the market the Protek 170s powered by a external CC BEC, and controlling it all is my all time favorite the Airtronics MT-4s I have yet to find a radio better suited for what I do with my RC's. Vanquish Products lights were used including a 6 inch Rigid Industries Light Bar on the front A Pillars that is paired up with a 12v voltage regulator to be compatible with 6s Lipos and the Rigid Industries Q-Series LED Lights Black Anodized were used in the Front Bumper

The electronics list didn't stop there. This is a FPV (First Person View) Yeti XL. A Fatshark 600tvl CMOS camera was paired up with a Fatshark 2 axis head tracker mount all stuffed in an Axial helmet all connected to an ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8ghz video transmitter and Spektrum 4 channel SR410 Head Tracker Receiver. Receiver is bound to my Spektrum DX9 and that's connected to the Fatshark Dominator HD Goggles with a built in Head Tracker Module & 5.8ghz Module. A CC BEC is used to power the Spektrum 4 channel receiver and a 12v voltage regulator for the VTX and Camera because I wanted everything to be powered by pack battery.

The Yeti XL Kit comes outfitted with a few really good upgrades over the RTR including the rear sway bar, 17mm wheel adapter, Falken tires, gas tank, Icon Shocks, metal turnbuckles, and rear trailing arm aluminum plates. To complete everything I added the much more beefy amazingly beautiful Vanquish Products Rear Yeti XL Silver Aluminum Axle Housing.

I guess this is my version of what a Yeti XL can be. I hope you guys like it. I will be touring the camp sites at Axialfest 2015 this year. If you want to check it out feel free to come by and say hi and see it.

Now to get over the boring side (the writing) here's the fun side PICTURES!!! Enjoy guys and I would love to hear your feedback and what you think

I want to thank my sponsors for helping me out with this build Vanquish Products for the baddest products on the market and Tekin Racing for the best electronics money can buy.

nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Pham's nissandriver24 - VP Tekin Fully Loaded Yeti XL Kit - New Adventture with F

Looks awesome. Got the T version of that servo in my 1.9 wraith (overkill ) and the 150t for my 1/10th yeti.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Default Re: Pham's nissandriver24 - VP Tekin Fully Loaded Yeti XL Kit - New Adventture with F

Man that thing is cool!
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Wow, very cool. Great Job. How is it with FPV. Any video?
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Looks awesome! Nice choice of parts as well bud.
Pageracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Looks great. The colors are simple and I like it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I like that rear axle in silver!! Oh and the FPV set up too...
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Very nice! I got the xl to use as a fpv rig too.

Been trying to research the head tracking options I could use in this.

I've got a mobius cam I would like to use. I just need to find/make a gimbal
I have dominator HDs and a taranis I use with my mini quad but never looked into the whole head tracking thing with that.

Is your Vtx in the weight box in the rear where your antenna is mounted? And if it is are you not worried about it overheating in there?

Really liking your setup. I have mounted the horizon micro cam in it just to play around while getting my system together and it just wasn't very good with only 25mw and low quality cam.

Mark
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPain View Post
Wow, very cool. Great Job. How is it with FPV. Any video?
Thanks, video will be posted once I get to a good area to play with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbknucks View Post
Very nice! I got the xl to use as a fpv rig too.

Been trying to research the head tracking options I could use in this.

I've got a mobius cam I would like to use. I just need to find/make a gimbal
I have dominator HDs and a taranis I use with my mini quad but never looked into the whole head tracking thing with that.

Is your Vtx in the weight box in the rear where your antenna is mounted? And if it is are you not worried about it overheating in there?

Really liking your setup. I have mounted the horizon micro cam in it just to play around while getting my system together and it just wasn't very good with only 25mw and low quality cam.

Mark
Thanks, when I got my Kit Yeti I knew from the very beginning it would be a perfect platform for a FPV rig.

Head tracking with a Mobius will take a bit of time but it is possible with a little custom build.

My vtx is in the weight box and yes I am worried about the heat issue but I plan on adding a cooling system for the box.

The 25mW system are fine for Micro / Mini quads but for a rig like this it's a little under powered.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The 25mw is out of a nano fpv.

I use a 600mw immersion in the quad and it gets warm sitting still and that's why I wondered about the heat...
Bbknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Great looking rig. Nice color scheme.

The Fuel cell is tall enough to put a micro fan or two in the back pulling/pushing air out and intake holes with mesh screen in the front. May help with the heat.

Looking forward to video. Looks like a nice setup.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #12

wheres the footage? any from axialfest?
Bigdaddy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:38 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy76 View Post
wheres the footage? any from axialfest?
X2 Any video would be ok with me.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Your Yeti xl build is suhweeeeet! Just like all your personal builds, I expected nothing less.
Revoasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #15

Just came across this thread and I was hoping to get some info on getting start with turning my yeti XL INTO A FPV vehicle. FPV seems like a blast, but I have no idea what I need to consider when putting together a shopping list

Fat shark goggles?
Video transmitter
Special antennas?
Micro cam
Is a ground station necessary for surface applications?

Thanks in advance!
SeanKewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKewley View Post
Just came across this thread and I was hoping to get some info on getting start with turning my yeti XL INTO A FPV vehicle. FPV seems like a blast, but I have no idea what I need to consider when putting together a shopping list

Fat shark goggles?
Video transmitter
Special antennas?
Micro cam
Is a ground station necessary for surface applications?

Thanks in advance!
The first picture shows my old Fatshark Dominator HD goggles which I no longer own because I upgraded to the Fatshark Dominator HD V2 with a dual diversity La Forge module

My vtx used in this build is a Immersion 600mW transmitter.

Antenna wise I am using a VAS Air Screw circular polarized antenna.

The cam is a Fatshark 600tvl camera but there are tons of cameras out there on the market nowadays. Just the fatshark one is made for the head tracking mount.

With my new goggles with diversity I don't feel like there's a need for a ground station. I ran mine most of the time with a ground station because it also has screen so spectators can see what I see.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Awesome I can't wait to experience FPV in my Rig !!
Beautiful build !!
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #18

Thank you very much, Michael. I will be taking my HAM test in May and plan to start my build shortly after.
SeanKewley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatshark, fpv, tekin, vanquish products, yeti xl

Pham's nissandriver24 - VP Tekin Fully Loaded Yeti XL Kit - New Adventture with FPV - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pham's nissandriver24 Fully Loaded - Vanquish Products Axial Yeti Rock Racer nissan_driver24 Axial Yeti 49 12-09-2014 10:50 AM