Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Thunder Tiger MT-4 wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thunder Tiger MT-4 wheels

OK the fitment problem was MY FAULT (what else is new). On the first bead I had trouble getting the tire bead in the wheel grove so I PULLED the tire paralel to the bead to seat the bead in the wheel and unintentionally STRETCHED the bead. On the second and all the rest I just pushed the bead of the tire straight into the wheel groove and no problems at all. The first is glued looks a little wierd but at over 100.00 for wheels and tires I am just going to deal with it. There is no distortion in the tread face so should be good to go. All my other trucks are BEAD LOCK and really wish I had that choice now.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
What about Pro-Line 1:5 Buggy & Truck Wheels?

Pro-Line 1:5 Buggy and Truck Wheels
It looks like those are 23mm hexes, right? Would be really great after a 17mm-23mm conversion...can that be done while still using the 3.8 Falken Wildpeaks?

What about the proline Pro-Line Desperado 3.8 or Pro-Line F-11 3.8 (1/2" Offset)?

TowerHobbies.com | Pro-Line Desperado 3.8 Black 1/2" Offset 17mm Whls Fr/R
TowerHobbies.com | Pro-Line F-11 3.8" Black 1/2" Offset 17mm Wheels (2)

Has anyone tried these out on the 3.8 Falken Wildpeak tires?

I have had nothing but great experience with proline and the price is right...

My stock wheels have already rounded out so I need to get some replacements in the mail!
JJHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:52 AM   #23

Just got my kit and was researching wheels as well. The main difference I see with those proline wheels is they are over an inch wider than stock. I have seen photos of some xl's on the forum with monster truck wheels mounted so I imagine it's possible to use them. You would probably have to buy tires as well.

Not that I would take a chance on them but axial does make an oversized true beadlock which is compatible with 40 series tires. The axial beadlocks are 3.2 wide. Stock is 2.4.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
What about Pro-Line 1:5 Buggy & Truck Wheels?

Pro-Line 1:5 Buggy and Truck Wheels
1/5 wheels will need 1/5 tires. This is not a 1/5th scale RC. It doesn't have 1/5 scale diffs, axles or bearings. So if you run ultra heavy 1/5 scale stuff and crash a lot you going to break and bend a lot.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHall View Post
It looks like those are 23mm hexes, right? Would be really great after a 17mm-23mm conversion...can that be done while still using the 3.8 Falken Wildpeaks?

What about the proline Pro-Line Desperado 3.8 or Pro-Line F-11 3.8 (1/2" Offset)?

TowerHobbies.com | Pro-Line Desperado 3.8 Black 1/2" Offset 17mm Whls Fr/R
TowerHobbies.com | Pro-Line F-11 3.8" Black 1/2" Offset 17mm Wheels (2)

Has anyone tried these out on the 3.8 Falken Wildpeak tires?

I have had nothing but great experience with proline and the price is right...

My stock wheels have already rounded out so I need to get some replacements in the mail!
F-11 wheels fit real nice. But I would just get them with the rock rage tires. The f-11 is too wide for the stock tires. It stretches them too much and they look weird. I never glued them up because it looked bad. I ended up with RC4WD mud slingers on f-11 wheels. They can pretty much make the 480 go through anything but they are heavy and need to be balanced very well. That's a mistake some are making with the 480 in my opinion. Not balancing their wheels and that unbalanced vibration at high speed in loosening the wheel nuts and stripping wheels.....I think.
I have PICs and a few vids on photobucket you can check out.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I think Fordfreak might be on to something. I balanced my kit wheels after assembly and they took quite a bit of weight. But no matter as they only lasted a couple packs. The thing I don't get is the front wheels went first as I would have thought the rear would.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
1/5 wheels will need 1/5 tires. This is not a 1/5th scale RC. It doesn't have 1/5 scale diffs, axles or bearings. So if you run ultra heavy 1/5 scale stuff and crash a lot you going to break and bend a lot.
What i don't see on PL's website is the weight. I also cannot find weight of the 1/5 scale tires. If the weight is within range then they would be fine. Weight is weight and if it works out that there is not much difference scale goes out the window.

As we know the YXL is sold as an 1/8 scale but we also know how untrue that scale is.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Sometimes the best thing to do is trial and error and learn from it. I'm 40 and I have done many errors with my RCs. As well as with my real sized car builds. Heavy wheels kill parts when you crash...and Oh I can crash because I like to play at fun bash spots I have no business being at made for bikes and skate boards.
I just figured JJHall was from Ecuador and parts may be hard to get. A lighter wheels and tire combo will be easier on the drive train. bill C on here ran/runs Baja front wheels and tires from Proline..they weigh in at 524grams each and the stockers are 374grams. That's 1.3lbs added to the rig. But they may be fine...try it out...they look great. I really wanted the 1/5 proline stuff and didn't do it. But I have porky RC4WD mud slingers and F-11s so go figure.... They are a bit too heavy I think ....but look cool!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
I just figured JJHall was from Ecuador and parts may be hard to get.
That's right, although the good folks at Tower will send me stuff down here at very reasonable international rates, but I have to wait 4-6 weeks for it to get here. Here's the cycle: Fix it - drive it - break it - order parts and wait for 6 weeks - fortunately I have several vehicles in teh rotation so I never get bored

It sounds like the associated rival wheels may be the most practical option for me to reuse the stock kit wheels, but I sure liked the look of the F11's better.

Beautiful setup by the way!
JJHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #30
Rock Stacker

Ah crap. Great tips FF. Wish I'd seen this before attempting mine. I thought it would be simple, but managed to screw it up - they look rough as. What Id do for some quality bead locks.
Mexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

I bought and installed the MT-4 wheels for my first runs and they've already started to round out the hex in the rear. I could barely get one of them off. Installing the factory ones to see how they work...

Had to bake off the glue. PITA!
1windsor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

A
1windsor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Ford, get that thing dirty.

Is it possible to dye the MT-4 rings black? I read it was hard to dye them, but can it be done? I can't have any other color than black on my wheels. Maybe at Christmas time I'll do the red on the front and green on the back. I could remove the head of the kiddo's Elf on the Shelf and he could be the driver! hmmm, I wonder if Batman Super Elf (that's what they named him) is scale....
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1windsor1 View Post
A
Oh I don't like this picture at all!! :(
Old 09-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

You can't use a cheap 17mm wrench like one that comes in a kit. You need a socket from Home Depot, not the hobby shop. I tighten mine up to the "oh I'm going to break this" point, then stop. I've only broken one wheel when driving and now it's the spare.

The Axial wheels are cheap at least. Just get the RTRs off ebay and take the chrome off.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thunder Tiger MT-4 wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger MT4-G3 701 Technique Non Crawler RC's 8 11-09-2012 07:58 PM
Thunder Tiger crawler 4XADICT General Crawlers 16 06-07-2012 07:38 AM
Thunder Tiger 1/18 Crawler Skeeno General Crawlers 5 02-17-2011 08:58 PM
Thunder Tiger Build IHCrawler Newbie General 0 07-27-2006 11:04 PM
Thunder Tiger SSK Wheels / Tyres? sammy Tires and Wheels 3 06-26-2005 04:08 AM